Puljujarvi's agent unsure if staying in Edmonton is in best interest of his client

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Part of me feels like this is a thinly veiled invitation for an offer sheet.

Maybe, but it feels more like what it is. I can see him not signing a contract with Edmonton and being released to play in Europe.

Or traded for little return. (2nd or 3rd round pick)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If JP is refusing the AHL after playing like this then he has little hope left as I expect the AHL to be a contingent of just about every team that trades for him

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I don’t think an offersheet makes much sense.

Who is going to offer Puljujarvi a high enough salary to make Edmonton refuse to match?

That’s literally the whole point. With their cap issues and need for productive wingers, it wouldn’t take much.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
One thats going to return what, a third round pick?

Not more than a 2nd.

Again, that is literally the whole point. Oilers don’t have much cap space as it is and can’t afford to potentially have an expensive yet unproductive winger taking up roster space or being buried in the minors. And matching an ugly contract makes him untradeable in the mean time.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Not more than a 2nd.

Again, that is literally the whole point. Oilers don’t have much cap space as it is and can’t afford to potentially have an expensive yet unproductive winger taking up roster space or being buried in the minors. And matching an ugly contract makes him untradeable in the mean time.

What other team is going to want to sign him to that “ugly contract”?

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
A rebuilding team that can afford to piss away $4M for a year on a guy they stick in the AHL. Would make a ton of sense for Detroit.

I don’t think anyone wants to give Puljujarvi $4 mil a year but it wouldn’t be the first time I’m wrong about something.

Rebuilding team or not it’s poor money management and would send the wrong message to the rest of your prospects.

Didn’t they say something about him not wanting to go to the ahl anyway?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Oilers really oiled this one up. Should of kept him in Finland for another year after his draft. Honestly don't see much for him, he doesn't process the game quick enough at this level, he isn't nearly assertive enough in any zone, and he has no idea how to use the tools he has effectively. Just a dumb hockey player.

Maybe he turns it around elsewhere but I have my doubts and it would be a pretty big risk for them.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Part of me thinks there is something going on here that the Oilers haven't put him in the AHL. I makes absolutely no sense he clearly doesn't belong in the NHL and will never learn it's crazy there has to be something behind the scenes why they won't put him and leave him in the AHL to develop. Everyone can see it except them apparently

Akustiikka

Dec 16, 2018
OT: Seems like there are lot of finns around here. Almost half of the individual threads are about finnish players. ;)

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Dylan Strome v2 incoming... As others have said Carolina would be the best fit: a young team who has no pressure to succeed yet, unlike Edmonton where the Coaches and the GM's have a gun to their head at all times. Pulju will be developing with the team, and Carolina is in desperate need to get a future top 6 winger to play with Svech, Teräväinen, Aho and Necas. He will also have a lot of buddies from Oulu in Kuokkanen, Aho and Mäenalanen.

Reactions: LAINEC

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The way I see it, this is what happened:

1. Early in the season, or before training camp, Puljujarvi’s camp asked to be traded. Likely due to his unfavorable deployment in a contract year as a member of an organization with a history of poorly developing prospects.

2. Edmonton tried to trade him, but the offers were fairly poor.

3. Edmonton leaked the information that the price on him was too high, in order to tell Puljujarvi’s camp that the interest was fairly low.

4. Puljujarvi’s camp released this in order to decrease Edmonton’s expectations for his value, and to increase Edmonton’s urgency to trade him before the deadline.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I don’t think anyone wants to give Puljujarvi $4 mil a year but it wouldn’t be the first time I’m wrong about something.

Rebuilding team or not it’s poor money management and would send the wrong message to the rest of your prospects.

Didn’t they say something about him not wanting to go to the ahl anyway?

Yup. No one wants to give Pool Party $4M. That’s the crux of why it makes sense from an offer sheet perspective.

And “money management” in the NHL is all relative. Teams like Detroit and NYR have been spendthrifts for literally decades at this point. $4M for a year is far from the worst that could be done.

As for “sending the wrong message,” that seems kind of melodramatic to me and I pay a lot of mind to psychological factors in sports. It would send the wrong message if he were given special treatment on the ice but the players know this is a business and the money spent on him was essentially to acquire his rights.

As for the AHL factor, he’s not going to pass on earning millions because of that. ELCs are automatic two-way contracts and I’d imagine that’s his biggest concern.

He isn't waivers exempt next season.

Which brings us right back to where we started with no one wanting to pay $4M for Puljujarvi.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
He looks like a drunk baby giraffe on the ice, has no IQ and put your tongue back in your head. Trade him, but only if they actually win a trade for once, because after years of Chiarelli, need a win here.

A 7th rounder may be a win. There is a real chance he never has an NHL career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->