TSN: Puljujarvi's Agent - "Might be actually benificial [to go] different paths, different routes"

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think the point was Drouin pouted and was acting up (and to a greater degree than Pulju), Tampa was patient, waited it out, then he came in played well got his points and then got traded with a good season under his belt.

Drouin at the time he was traded should certainly have more value than if Pulju was traded now since Drouin proved something, but is there anything stopping the Oilers from using the same patient approach Tampa had and trading him later for potentially more? That's where I think the logical argument being alluded to was going.

Drouin had every right to do as he did. Jon Cooper stapled the kid to the 4th line every game and yet was somehow 0.5 PPG on 11 minutes a night playing with JT Brown. Coop was an ass to Drouin and it was that experience that finally forced him to let go of his veterans first fetish that plagues so many coaches today

I think Drouin handled it poorly on bad advice from his agent and family but I understood why he wanted out and refused his assignment

FWIW they later patched things up and Drouin later became a centerpiece to our offense

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm not an Oilers fan. I just like calling out ridiculously bad proposals like the one I quoted.

It's probably the concussion then.

JP can end up the next Paajarvi, you do realize that right?

Why would any team give a legit top 6 forward for him?

Give a legit top 6 forward to get a...maybe top 6 forward?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

That's fine.
Now ask yourself why a team would give him away for nothing? Remember how bad Drai was when he first came into the league?

#habsdeals

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
If there comes a time when Pulju's value is high enough where it makes sense for the Oilers to trade him and they can get the value they'd want for him, then why wouldn't they just keep him if then? It's not like they couldn't use the help there.

If they are going to trade him, then they are never going to get a "Former 4th overall" type of value for him at this point. So it's either a trade based on what he is now, or you hold on to him and hope his value goes up, which is probably not likely and of course leads to the scenario I mentioned above. You could also hold on to him and then his value goes down, and you get even less than you would now.

At what point are the Oilers just going to take a mulligan on this one and try to get the best return they can?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
That's fine.
Now ask yourself why a team would give him away for nothing? Remember how bad Drai was when he first came into the league?

#habsdeals

Define nothing. Byron is a 20 goal scorer with term, speed and PK ability. He can play top 6 even though he's not a legit top 6 forward. The notion that this is 'nothing' is nonsensical.

It's not Byron for a 4th overall pick. It's Byron for a prospect who's agent has said he wants out(lowers leverage) and the player himself is struggling.

As I said in my original post, Oilers may not be into it and that's fine. I never proposed Oilers should ABSOLUTELY accept. It's called an opinion and a make believe offer. Why you're all excited about that is concerning.

You bring up draisaitl who you know, only made 51 points in 72 GP in his second season. So he struggled at 18, cool. JP is struggling at 20.

The worst part is for the oilers it's a gamble. If I'm them I take the gamble and keep JP but if he struggles another year his value will drop again and again. It's not my decision to make obviously. I didn't make the thread, I just made a make believe offer in an existing one.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The problem is Edmonton burned through his entire ELC and he still can't make it on the team with the worst wingers in the league. He'd be lucky to get a qualifying offer from some teams.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

he can end up the next Strome as well. Chicago gave up a legit top 6 forward for him

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
It’s no surprise he wants out. Who wouldn’t. Edmonton Oilers asset management alone should tell all the players in there organization to get out of dodge.

It’s a shame that the oilers are ruining what McDavid could have been.

The only solution Edmonton has now is to fire the entire front office, sell assets with a competent new front office and start rebuilding from scratch.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

Sounds like he is going to the Bakersfield? Or something more?

Hopefully, finally, to Bakersfield where he shouldve been for the last 18 months. If they give up on this guy for $.10 on the dollar, it’ll just be another day in Oilers management history.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Hopefully, finally, to Bakersfield where he shouldve been for the last 18 months. If they give up on this guy for $.10 on the dollar, it’ll just be another day in Oilers management history.

Yep agreed and seems like the most likely scenario. Although, with the Oilers, you never know...

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It amazing that he now is suffering from a long term injury at this precise moment.

JTRAIN1966

Jul 18, 2012
Imperial, Mo.
If St Louis is willing to let Fabbri go this could make sense. Don't think Edmonton will get someone better.

I think they might . He's been scratched a lot lately, & only got limited time because, Steen & his wife just had a baby . Armstrong only gave him a one year " PROVE IT " deal this year I think . So......he might be trade bait for the Blues going down the stretch here .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad