Puljujarvi, What would this cost be?

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I doubt we’d have a shot just for the fact that I’m sure ken Holland deep down resents Stevie for losing his job but curious what the cost would be realistically?

They can ask for top prospects etc... but unless they’re willing to take a lesser return the best option for the oilers is just to let him go to Finland until he decides to come back to Edmonton

I’m thinking it can be a good opportunity with filppula here , he’d have a Finnish player to talk to and learn stuff off . I still think oilers haven’t even got one this off season? I don’t blame him for leaving

Anyways since the oilers want to get in now with mcdavid at the top and wasting away

Glendening - 50% off (gets slack here due to his salary but he’s a good 3rd line checker who kills penalties and would be a playoff warrior come April)

Svechnikov - He’s been injured so we haven’t seen him become what we have hoped for yet , underwhelming results like puljujarvi in a way thus far. Plus we have a ton of kids coming so we can afford this type of move

Daley

For

Puljujarvi And manning

For oilers manning and Daley are basically a swap and upgrade , I know they been wanting to get rid of manning for a while who we can bury in the minors , and Daley isn’t a loss with the surplus of a d , so wed be doing Edmonton a favour with that swap

So glendening+svechnikov+Daley for puljujarvi+manning

Let the backlash begin

How do I edit the post on top? Doesn’t show up when haha

Reactions: Lil Bert

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
No thanks. Pulu hasn't been healthy either much like Svechnikov and looked more lost in his segments up than Svech has to be honest. Not sure I swap one for one at this point with his major hip injury.

Glendening is a good hockey player that is important to this team, we don't need to give him away for troubled magic beans.

Take him out entirely and again I am still not sure.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
from what ive seen he doesnt think very well at all , looks lost out there . then the injury puts me in a no interest state . im sure thats why kenny said he takes our offer or plays in europe , kenny knows his stock is very low and he wouldnt get much in trade today

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
No thanks. Pulu hasn't been healthy either much like Svechnikov and looked more lost in his segments up than Svech has to be honest. Not sure I swap one for one at this point with his major hip injury.

Glendening is a good hockey player that is important to this team, we don't need to give him away for troubled magic beans.

Take him out entirely and again I am still not sure.

I still think puljujarvi has a ton of upside , not saying he’s another hall but look at all the past players who have failed there ?i think there’s been a huge problem in Edmonton for many years and I think a change of scenery would do him good

Us landing filppula is a big bonus for us now if we landed him ,he’s said already how he felt lost in Edmonton and had no one to talk to and not speaking English was a problem.

I remember how Great he was in the world juniors and I’d personally roll the dice and take a chance , glendening is a nice piece which is why I threw him in and he’s not a big sacrifice since we got a ton of bottom 6 guys and more coming and we’re not getting in the playoffs for the foreseeable future

Reactions: Lil Bert

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I doubt Yzerman would bring in a guy who quit on his previous team.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Honestly, id prefer Svechnikov.

Pulju is a Bust, and a spoiled bust at that. Dont like the personality, don't like the upside.

He is going to give in and play for EDM, or he will sit for the year.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I doubt Yzerman would bring in a guy who quit on his previous team.
Lindros quit on the Nordiques and he turned out fine haha ,seriously though if I were him I’d wanna leave too they’re just going to waste away the best player in hockey in mcdavid who will see no playoff hockey until he demands a trade or is a Ufa

I just like his upside potential and he only turned 21 3 months ago so I’m not willing to say he’s a full on bust just yet

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
As we all know, Holland is reluctant to make trades. My bet would be Pulu staying in Edmonton or leaving for Europe based on past MO by Holland

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Maybe 7th round pick and bag of pucks if even that.
Puljujärvi is by no means special as a player and how he even fits to Redwings.
The language barrier will follow Puljujärvi everywhere in NHL so let him go somewhere else.

And all respect for Filppula he's good player but even he can't be Puljujärvi's personal babysitter 24 / 7.
Steve Yzerman is smart GM and i hope he stays away of Puljujärvi.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
As we all know, Holland is reluctant to make trades. My bet would be Pulu staying in Edmonton or leaving for Europe based on past MO by Holland

I think some of that can go out the window now... Holland was making appropriate trades as the Wings trended toward a rebuild, and he's handled similar situations with trades:

-He moved Aaron Ward when he demanded a trade after years of being Bowman's whipping boy and in and out of the doghouse
-Dealt Jarnkrok when there was speculation he wasn't happy not getting called up to the NHL
-Dealt Jurco when he wasn't exactly thrilled with his role on the team

I'm going to guess that Holland is trying not to sell low on a kid that's 21, while also setting a precedent that his new organization isn't going to simply cater to young guys whims as they had done previously. It's no secret that Edmonton isn't exactly the most popular destination for NHL players, and that's not even when you factor in the teams performance and history of front office incompetence. Simply taking the best offer for Puljujarvi now just shows future guys that don't want to be there that they can just take their ball home and have their wish granted. The Jets didn't initially move Trouba when it was no secret he wanted out of Winnipeg, and Yzerman didn't move Drouin when he decided he'd rather hang out in his Mom's basement than play in the AHL.

At the same time, letting Puljujarvi play in Europe will be like assigning him to the minors for a year, since he'd need waivers to do so after Chiarelli wasted his waiver exemption. Might also give Puljujarvi a chance to see that the Oilers new GM/coach are moving the team in the right direction and offer an opportunity for him to get the fresh start he wants. Otherwise, so good play overseas might also increase his value if he still wants to be moved, which is probably at it's lowest point right now. I mean if I'm Holland, I don't move Puljujarvi unless he's bringing in something that would some kind of measurable impact at the NHL level.

If Puljujarvi goes to Europe or ends up staying in Edmonton, it likely has little to do with past trade reluctance on Hollands part.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
For a cheap price I would take a flier on the kid but I wouldn't give up any real assets. I'd do something like the yakupov trade.

mid level prospect + conditional pick (3rd/4th/5th that upgrades if Pulu scores XX goals).

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think Edmonton would look for something like a second and a mid-level prospect if they entertain trading him. They probably want more but that is around where I think a trade like this would land.

Personally not interested, that is a pretty troubling track record.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It looks like I know my Ken Holland. Pulu heading back to Finland accoring to Aftonbladet: Finska supertalangen lämnar NHL

I would say this is more of a case that Holland isn't leveraged by RFAs hardly at all. He hasn't been healthy and the return isn't there. The Oilers will just toll his rights until an acceptable return or he spends the next 4 years in Europe.

Holland isn't going to get bent over in an RFA or trade negotiation, his slow operating status that people knock him for is really helpful in RFA negotiations. He doesn't lose them often and if you threaten him with Europe he wishes you luck, he isn't going to Dubas out a Nylander contract or promise ice time with that threat.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It looks like I know my Ken Holland. Pulu heading back to Finland accoring to Aftonbladet: Finska supertalangen lämnar NHL

Again... Makes little sense for Holland to cater to JP's demands right now. His value is probably completely bottomed out. Now that he's actually going to play Pro hockey somewhere instead of sitting unsigned or as a healthy scratch, his value can potentially increase. Holland narrative MO would be more like not trading a young guy that was once a good prospect after letting a him stay in GR (and play well) for all of their waiver exempt seasons then let them fester on the NHL roster as a #13/14F or #7D for a couple seasons before waiving and demoting them or not qualifying them.

Holland isn't going to take bottom dollar for a former #4OA forward that's still only 21YO and he isn't going to set a precedent that young guys can simply demand their way out of town once their ELC's expire.

He's operating on the same "MO" he did when AA held out and his agent threatened signing in the KHL. Should he have just taken a 3rd rounder and been done with it?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Again... Makes little sense for Holland to cater to JP's demands right now. His value is probably completely bottomed out. Now that he's actually going to play Pro hockey somewhere instead of sitting unsigned or as a healthy scratch, his value can potentially increase. Holland narrative MO would be more like not trading a young guy that was once a good prospect after letting a him stay in GR (and play well) for all of their waiver exempt seasons then let them fester on the NHL roster as a #13/14F or #7D for a couple seasons before waiving and demoting them or not qualifying them.

Holland isn't going to take bottom dollar for a former #4OA forward that's still only 21YO and he isn't going to set a precedent that young guys can simply demand their way out of town once their ELC's expire.

He's operating on the same "MO" he did when AA held out and his agent threatened signing in the KHL. Should he have just taken a 3rd rounder and been done with it?

Holland also has McDavid and Draisaitl on his roster and some pressure to turn things around in Edmonton.

Holland has traded a ton of guy when they were at low value and I don't see him suddenly changing his tact.
If he can make a trade that helps him NOW and that has some upside, too? I think he pulls the trigger.

I wonder about Svechnikov + Saarijarvi trade...
We get more upside. They get less attitude. We get a righthanded shot. Maybe they get a defensemen they like. And we clear out a RD to make room for Seider/Lindstrom/Kaski

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If I'm Holland, I might be quietly happy how this is playing out. The kid hasn't been the most impressive prospect the past couple of years, so going back to Europe, maybe finding his game again, staying healthy...it might be what his career needs. The tricky part is to not let any bridges burn in the process.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don’t see them moving him anytime soon. Holland has seemed scared of guys with less upside hitting their potential elsewhere and making him look bad than Puljujarvi. We didn’t move on from guys like Tatar, Nyquist, Pulkkinen, Jurco etc. until it was pretty clear without much of a doubt what they were. This kid is still 21, I think they will at least give him this next season to evaluate him more.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I’d do it straight up for Svechnikov. Maybe add a 4th.

Svechnikov is probably the higher likelihood of being a NHL player but Pulu has the higher ceiling. Only issue is Svech seems to be very good friends with Mantha/AA based off social media so may impact locker room minorly

Last edited:

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Holland also has McDavid and Draisaitl on his roster and some pressure to turn things around in Edmonton.

Holland has traded a ton of guy when they were at low value and I don't see him suddenly changing his tact.
If he can make a trade that helps him NOW and that has some upside, too? I think he pulls the trigger.

I wonder about Svechnikov + Saarijarvi trade...
We get more upside. They get less attitude. We get a righthanded shot. Maybe they get a defensemen they like. And we clear out a RD to make room for Seider/Lindstrom/Kaski

Perhaps some interest in Svech, but Saar has no value outside of AHL help. His excellent offensive play from junior didn't translate to the AHL, this is likely the final year he can show something.

My money is on Saar going to Europe next summer.

Svech would be a considerably risky asset following missing an entire season due to a knee injury.

To me, Svech sounds like an asset to start talks around but would need a decent value pick to make it worth considering.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad