McKenzie: Puljujarvi has requested a trade [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Wrong. Oilers have zero leverage and the player has zero trade value in matter of days now.

You can all cream about forcing a player out of the league on a powertrip, but most likely Oilers get close to nothing from trading the right to a KHL player.

Nonsense.
The player is a RFA 4 years away from UFA who requested a trade after doing nothing for 3 years. All he's doing is hurting himself by making this trade request public.

The Oilers have no reason to settle for a nothing return now so it's either nothing now or nothing later, there's nothing to be gained by dealing him now unless it helps the team. They don't HAVE TO trade him now. They hold his rights for another 4 years.

As far as Pulju is concerned, he can either suck it up play for the Oilers and attempt to up his value so they can trade him as per his wish or he can stew in Europe for 4 years and pursue his NHL dream at a desired location then, that's if any team would even take him at that point.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No prospects are angry about who drafted them. These kids are just excited to be going to an NHL team. They might change that mind later, but when is the last time we saw a guy flat out refuse to play for a certain NHL team before he even had a contract, aside from NCAA guys who can wait out the contracts and become UFA's? It is so rare.

Compare and contrast Puljujarvi (and his agent, who I really think is a bad egg) with Broberg. I didn't like the pick overly but I can see why the organization likes him. Asked about where he'll play, he responds with "wherever the team feels is best for me". No demands, no attempts to force hands, kid just wants to play hockey.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
No prospects are angry about who drafted them.

Most of Finnish hockey fans seem to think otherwise. Literally everyone here thinks drafted to oilers = rip career.

Iiro Pakarinen's comments seem to be a major talking point, together with Nurse-yak-JP-McD debacle. Another season like this and McD is looking at "top 10 forward" ranking...

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Nonsense.

Missing the point. Pulju won't be in the NHL system at this speed, and his value will be next to nothing when the ink dries.

"Pulju can suck it up" is interesting when the actual scenario is "Pulju the KHL player with no value".

What s the value of Iiro Pakarinen?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Most of Finnish hockey fans seem to think otherwise. Literally everyone here thinks drafted to oilers = rip career.

Iiro Pakarinen's comments seem to be a major talking point, together with Nurse-yak-JP-McD debacle. Another season like this and McD is looking at "top 10 forward" ranking...
Another season McDavid is second in points he will be ranked as a top 10 forward ? I would hope so

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Missing the point. Pulju won't be in the NHL system at this speed, and his value will be next to nothing when the ink dries.

"Pulju can suck it up" is interesting when the actual scenario is "Pulju the KHL player with no value".

He's one year removed from 12 goals with 4th line minutes as a 19 year old. His value is eroded to be sure but it's hardly in Iiro Pakarinen territory. You're just being dramatic.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
For the most part all that's being offered NOW, at least on these boards, is a big fat nothing. We're not going to lose sleep over missing out on a middling pick or a bust that's three years older.

If Alex Nylander returns Jokiharju I refuse to believe that Puljujarvi has no value to anyone.

Alex "the AHL player under contract" Nylander.

(Ridiculous trade imo, but we will see)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I'm not sure what Pakarinen has to do with anything.

My point is that he has zero leverage, the team owns his rights for 4 years. It would be fn idiotic for the team to trade him for no value just to satisfy his trade demand. He has no leverage to strong arm the organization, none zero zilch.

If a deal is made, it's for something that helps the team. Otherwise, no deal and if he hates the organization that much, he can play in a Euro pro league for the next 4 years and sign wherever he wants thereafter. For the team, it'll be nothing now or nothing then. All holding out does is hurt the player, not the team.

Reactions: Seachd

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Alex "the AHL player under contract" Nylander.

(Ridiculous trade imo, but we will see)

I still can't imagine what Chicago was thinking there, but the point remains, Puljujarvi has been a better player than Nylander at every level and the only hold up with JP's contract is his wanting out of Edmonton. If he's traded I can't imagine it'll be more than 24 hours before he's signed.

If I ran a team like Ottawa or Detroit - that's not expected to make more than a whimper this year - I'd absolutely roll the dice on him. Offer up some dime a dozen third liner - which apparently is all Edmonton wants - throw him in a 2nd line role and see what happens. Cheap gamble that could pay off big time.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Another season McDavid is second in points he will be ranked as a top 10 forward ? I would hope so

Instead of "McJesus". Quite a drop, if you ask me.

In the oilers fans opinion he is clearly the best player in the league. Other people are less sure.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

In the oilers fans opinion he is clearly the best player in the league. Other people are less sure.

Hockey is one of the sports where team dynamics matters the most and also where an individual (no matter how talented) has less impact on the final outcome. The way McDavid can skate with the puck is phenomenal and puts him in a category by himself when you factor in his age and production it's clear we are talking about a player that any team would chose 1st when building out their roster.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

That's the point of opinions. These other people can think what they want but I'll gladly watch McDavid and have something to enjoy about the Oilers as a fan.

Anyways how is that about puljujarvi at all ?

Reactions: Wretched Oil

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I still can't imagine what Chicago was thinking there, but the point remains, Puljujarvi has been a better player than Nylander at every level and the only hold up with JP's contract is his wanting out of Edmonton. If he's traded I can't imagine it'll be more than 24 hours before he's signed.

No it doesn't...Pulju won't be under contract or in the system. Euro-prospects are practically never moved and certainly won't move for anything plausible.

A Nylander is an ASSET. JP in europe is a pipe dream.

But anyway, this has been talked many times. Oilers and JP are done.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
No it doesn't...Pulju won't be under contract or in the system. Euro-prospects are practically never moved and certainly won't move for anything plausible.

Gusevs been moved a bunch and still has value as an rfa that won't come over for less than 4m a year with zero NHL games.

Radulov even if they didnt end up trading him Nashville still got him for a playoff run near the end and they had far worse burnt bridges . Idk we will see what happens I spose

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Most Euro contracts have negotiable NHL out clauses for a reason. He's hardly disappearing into the upside-down if he goes overseas.

Reactions: Jamin

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Not me. I'm not a huge fan of his or EDMs' either.

If you can't see he's pretty easily the most valuable ("best") player in the league than idk what to tell you. He's the only player in the league who you can stick on any team and plug him in with a bunch of average-ish players and he's gonna get you 100 points a season.

Maybe he doesn't score 130 points if you put him on that Tampa team instead of Kucherov but i doubt Kucherov puts up 100 playing in EDM.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Which other people?

You will never find complete agreement with sports fans on who is the best because there will always be those with grudges or stupid assessment measures but the vast majority of hockey people would easily rank McDavid as number 1 now and definitely the best player going forward.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Wrong. Oilers have zero leverage and the player has zero trade value in matter of days now.

You can all cream about forcing a player out of the league on a powertrip, but most likely Oilers get close to nothing from trading the right to a KHL player.

They are getting close to nothing now. His value really can’t get any worse. Might as well hang onto the asset let him play back home in Finland and hope his value increases.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
No way.

Wallmark at this point is a much more productive NHL player and plays C. He’s signed to a very cheap deal too.

Counter:

Puljujarvi for Brock McGinn.

Quit being such a jerk.

You have to give to get and Holland would like a 3rd line Swedish Centre. Puljujarvi has the potential to do a lot more with Aho.

Draw up the papers spockjerk. Before I change my mind.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Quit being such a jerk.

You have to give to get and Holland would like a 3rd line Swedish Centre. Puljujarvi has the potential to do a lot more with Aho.

Draw up the papers spockjerk. Before I change my mind.

Unless he vastly improves his overall game, there's probably little chance Brind'Amour would put him on the top line with Aho. Brindy wouldn't even put Svechnikov, who has/had a much better all around game than Jesse, above the 3rd line.

Reactions: Stickpucker

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This is just mental

I sincerely cannot manage to line up 1.5 PPG and a 122 point pace with "another season like this and he might only be a top 10 forward" in such a way that my brain doesn't want to jump out of my ears and into a blender.

There's plenty wrong with the Oilers but McDavid just ain't it, chief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad