McKenzie: Puljujarvi has requested a trade [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Isn't there a huge monetary penalty for that? I think the last it happened was with Eric Lindros.

Edit:
Seems it only affects the player in lost ELC money until he hits UFA, which seems to be 4 years after being drafted, if not signed.

The latest appears to be Mike Reilly, who refused to sign with Columbus:
Mike Reilly informs Blue Jackets he won't sign, hits free agency

So I guess the main reason why it doesn't happen all the time is because it's a huge risk for the player himself. If he gets injured, or slumps, he might miss out on the NHL permanently.

Or before the draft, the prospect flat out say to the Oilers, if you draft me, I will not sign

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Puljujarvi has ZERO leverage. It's too bad that he's unhappy but he and his agent must realize that unless the Oiler get a desired return, they have zero reason to trade him.

They can sign a 4 year deal on a pro team in Europe if they want to dictate where he plays next but until then, the Oilers own all the leverage so either he plays with the Oilers or he can play in Europe for the next 4 years and then choose his NHL destination.

Quite honestly, Pulju and his agent have nobody to blame but themselves. With the agent opening his yap making this trade request public, he sewered whatever remaining value Puljujarvi had and made it even bigger task to make the desired trade.
Now, with a trade being unlikely, it's going to be either Edmonton or Europe.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
What exactly is the problem? So far, they’re down a player who wasn’t contributing. That’s not hurting the team.

JP is the problem. He is not contributing and has a desire to leave the organization. Why have a player who's neither contributing nor wants to be there if you can have a player who contributes and wants to be there.

His value is dropping daily and he spreads a negative vibe around the organization by claiming he doesn't want to play there, despite a new GM and coach. If you read between the lines the desire to leave is not isolated to the GM/coach, but to the whole organization.

I wouldn't want that kind of person in my company even if I knew it would cost me to hire someone new and that I would lose all money I'd invested in that person.

Considering how the situation has been in Edmonton for the last couple of years, the last thing I would want as a GM is yet another problem.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
JP is the problem. He is not contributing and has a desire to leave the organization. Why have a player who's neither contributing nor wants to be there if you can have a player who contributes and wants to be there.

His value is dropping daily and he spreads a negative vibe around the organization by claiming he doesn't want to play there, despite a new GM and coach. If you read between the lines the desire to leave is not isolated to the GM/coach, but to the whole organization.

I wouldn't want that kind of person in my company even if I knew it would cost me to hire someone new and that I would lose all money I'd invested in that person.

Considering how the situation has been in Edmonton for the last couple of years, the last thing I would want as a GM is yet another problem.
Heard JP’s agent on the radio here in Vancouver say, when asked if the new GM and coach make a difference to the player wanting to leave, that It’s best JP moves on. He said the young player needs a fresh start elsewhere.
Locker room relationships?

Reactions: teddygmr

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
To set the precedent that you don't get to ditch out on the Oilers cause you feel like it. If we let Jesse do it, it's open season for any player or draftee not really feelin Edmonton. A 3rd OVERALL PICK was used to acquire this guy, i'd rather keep him and bury him than take some measly 3rd round pick or less.

He went 4th after Dubois but your point stands.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Heard JP’s agent on the radio here in Vancouver say, when asked if the new GM and coach make a difference to the player wanting to leave, that It’s best JP moves on. He said the young player needs a fresh start elsewhere.
Bad agent advice

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

You’re making it out to be much more than it is. For starters, he’s not taking the place of a contributing player to start with. Secondly, trading him for a pick doesn’t help the team now anyway, and could potentially hurt them if he improves.

His value, such that it is, probably can’t go much lower. If he goes to Europe and shows some improvement and willingness to play in the NHL again, his value increase.

Because of Puljujarvi’s role within the organization, this issue isn’t even a distraction, let alone a problem. Given Lehto’s recent comments, they don’t seem to maybe be as willing to close the door on the Oilers as people think.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Edmonton would eat you alive. Chia 2.0

You'd be fired before you had a chance to put ink to paper.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Puljujarvi has ZERO leverage. It's too bad that he's unhappy but he and his agent must realize that unless the Oiler get a desired return, they have zero reason to trade him.

Wrong. Oilers have zero leverage and the player has zero trade value in matter of days now.

You can all cream about forcing a player out of the league on a powertrip, but most likely Oilers get close to nothing from trading the right to a KHL player.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Wrong. Oilers have zero leverage and the player has zero trade value in matter of days now.

You can all cream about forcing a player out of the league on a powertrip, but most likely Oilers get close to nothing from trading the right to a KHL player.

Oilers have zero leverage and JP will have zero trade value in a day?

I blame our educators. Too much activism. Not enough basics.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't know if its locker room relationships, or if JP doesn't like the negative attention from being in Edmonton, or if he just doesn't want to be on a team who wants to hold him accountable. It seems like the agent is mad that Holland doesn't want to honour whatever promises Chiarelli made to JP's agent that weren't outlined in the contract.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

The Oilers don't have to trade him. As of today, he is probably not going to Europe, as per his agent's backpedalling.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
You’re making it out to be much more than it is. For starters, he’s not taking the place of a contributing player to start with. Secondly, trading him for a pick doesn’t help the team now anyway, and could potentially hurt them if he improves.

His value, such that it is, probably can’t go much lower. If he goes to Europe and shows some improvement and willingness to play in the NHL again, his value increase.

Because of Puljujarvi’s role within the organization, this issue isn’t even a distraction, let alone a problem. Given Lehto’s recent comments, they don’t seem to maybe be as willing to close the door on the Oilers as people think.

He does indeed take the place of a contributing player as he himself doesn't contribute.

I'm quite sure they would be able to get something good in return, not just a 3rd round pick but a solid third/fourth liner that could start contributing immediately.

"could hurt them if he improves"... I read that a lot. How will it hurt the Oilers if he succeeds somewhere else? What difference does it make? He clearly won't improve in Oilers and that's what matters right?

He might have a great year in Europe, but I doubt that it will increase his value to your likings. Playing well in Europe doesn't mean he'll do that in NA, so the other GMs will not start throwing 1st round picks at him because of that. And what if he completely fails in Europe?

I get your point of view. Your team wasted a 4OA pick on a player that is a year or two away from being labeled a bust by the vast majority. Accept the loss and move on instead of trying to "fix it".

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

This assumes not having Puljujarvi on the team hurts the Oilers, which is far from the truth.

Holland isn’t holding on to him to try to maximize a ****ty return.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Having a bunch of miserable prospects isn't going to help, either.

No prospects are angry about who drafted them. These kids are just excited to be going to an NHL team. They might change that mind later, but when is the last time we saw a guy flat out refuse to play for a certain NHL team before he even had a contract, aside from NCAA guys who can wait out the contracts and become UFA's? It is so rare.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Oilers have zero leverage and JP will have zero trade value in a day?

The day he signs in the KHL the value becomes negligible. And Oilers leverage against a player that is never going to play for the Oilers... fat nothing.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Something really wrong about Edmonton developement system.

Seems to be really hit or miss. Nurse, Klefbom, and Draisaitl are all excellent players. Yakupov and Puljujarvi, not so much. I think some of Edmonton's reputation will be salvaged in the next couple years when guys like Jones and Benson make it full time. McLeod and Lavoie are excellent value picks for where they got them as well.

The organization deserves to take some heat for their misses, but the players do too. They're the ones that actually play the games. Look at Sam Bennett for an example. Is he a miss for where he was drafted - absolutely he is - but he's still a useful NHLer. Sometimes it just takes players longer to accept that not everyone can be a superstar in this league.

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He does indeed take the place of a contributing player as he himself doesn't contribute.

I'm quite sure they would be able to get something good in return, not just a 3rd round pick but a solid third/fourth liner that could start contributing immediately.

"could hurt them if he improves"... I read that a lot. How will it hurt the Oilers if he succeeds somewhere else? What difference does it make? He clearly won't improve in Oilers and that's what matters right?

He might have a great year in Europe, but I doubt that it will increase his value to your likings. Playing well in Europe doesn't mean he'll do that in NA, so the other GMs will not start throwing 1st round picks at him because of that. And what if he completely fails in Europe?

I get your point of view. Your team wasted a 4OA pick on a player that is a year or two away from being labeled a bust by the vast majority. Accept the loss and move on instead of trying to "fix it".
If he is traded for a solid player sure then you're argument works .

Half the trades on here are for a 3rd or 4th round pick tho where he is not taking a place of a contributing player and just one of the 50 contract spots.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

For the most part all that's being offered NOW, at least on these boards, is a big fat nothing. We're not going to lose sleep over missing out on a middling pick or a bust that's three years older.

If Alex Nylander returns Jokiharju I refuse to believe that Puljujarvi has no value to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad