Proposal: Puljujarvi for Your Equivalent Winger

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
How did the Oilers scouting staff mess up this pick so badly?

It's easy to pile on, I know, but when you watch this guy on the ice, he doesn't seem like he'll ever be more than a 4th liner. And if he wasn't such a high pick, he may not even have been be considered for that kind of duty.

Can't just blame the oilers, would have to blame cental scouting as he was ranked high across the board.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Poolparty is worth only about 2 of the guys on that list, maybe 3. The other guys Edm would have to add

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
It's looking more and more like Pulju will have to remake himself as a role player to stick around. I don't think he can land Kapanen at this point. He has plenty of time to carve out a career and is nowhere near a bust, but it is not looking good that he will be a premier top 6 player in the NHL. If things don't turn around for him, it's likely he's dealt for a project player in return. Will take a lot more than Pulju to get Kappy. That said, I think Kappy would be a great fit on the Oilers as he's in McDavid's age range and one of the few players that could be obtained that could keep up with his speed.
I'm coming from the Leafs side, I would still make that deal if it were out there. Kapanen's floor is a lot safer for sure, but I'd take the risk and hope that Puljujarvi can figure it out to establish himself as a real top 6 player and maybe better

agree on Kapanen being a good fit there though, he's a good fit riding shotgun with better players. With McDavid in particular I could see Kapanen getting a hugely disproportionate number of breakaways when defenses forget about him and McDavid hit him with stretch passes

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
It is pretty clear that Puljujarvi needs a change of scenery. He was demoted to the 4th line today and the coaching staff doesn't trust him at all. What are some other young wingers (or centers that can play wing) that are also struggling, and could be dealt in a deal around Puljujarvi? Here's what I could think of:

Tyson Jost (C/LW, 20, 2 points in 9 games)

Ryan Donato (C/LW, 22, 1 point in 8 games)

Valentin Zykov (LW/RW, 23, 2 points in 7 games)

Sonny Milano (LW/RW, 22, 1 point in 8 games)

Andre Burakovsky (LW/RW, 23, 0 points in 8 games)

Alex Nylander (LW/RW, 20, 8 points in 8 games in the AHL)

I'd probably consider all of these.
I don't understand why people keep saying it's clear he needs a change of scenery, cause it's not at all.

He and the rest of the team need a coach that knows how to manage their players and get the most out of them without shuffling lines every single day.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
It is pretty clear that Puljujarvi needs a change of scenery. He was demoted to the 4th line today and the coaching staff doesn't trust him at all. What are some other young wingers (or centers that can play wing) that are also struggling, and could be dealt in a deal around Puljujarvi? Here's what I could think of:

Tyson Jost (C/LW, 20, 2 points in 9 games)

Ryan Donato (C/LW, 22, 1 point in 8 games)

Valentin Zykov (LW/RW, 23, 2 points in 7 games)

Sonny Milano (LW/RW, 22, 1 point in 8 games)

Andre Burakovsky (LW/RW, 23, 0 points in 8 games)

Alex Nylander (LW/RW, 20, 8 points in 8 games in the AHL)

I'd probably consider all of these.

I'll trade you Oscar Lindberg and a Vegas buffet for two.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Has never been put in a position to succeed,pretty much been buried on the 3rd line with Strome. Has had no pp time to really count. TMac has his stubborn ways with vets. When Looch struggled last year he continued to play with McDavid to the tune of 40+ games. Just a example of not being in a position to succeed. The way JP started in preseason had people talking , then lines were made and boom 3rd line again.

If a player needs McDavid to succeed, he's probably not ready. I think one of Edmontons major issues within their development system is that players are given roster spots on draft pedigree alone. Challenge your prospects to earn a spot, they'll be better off because of it.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
That's an interesting offer; Vesa has looked pretty good and poolparty pretty bad, but do their relative draft positions make this an even trade?

sorta what I was thinking plus laine's relationship with pooly. Its obvious he is having issues in edmonton and winnipeg is a comfy home for the finns so far. Kristian's english is waaay better then pool's and the guy seems more of a lone wolf type guy, I doubt he'd experience the same problems as pool in EDM. This of course is all assumptions and projections of course.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Puljujarvi seem to be going down the same road as another Oilers former 1st round pick in MPS and no that's not a good thing

It's still very early in huis career and he may bounce back but things aren't looking that good right now

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
We can do a swap of our Pool Party for yours. Only downside is yours is better but let’s just forget about that and call it a deal

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Can't just blame the oilers, would have to blame cental scouting as he was ranked high across the board.
The "Ruined him" argument gets trotted out every time a prospect flops. 90% of them were not ruined, they just weren't very good to being with, it is often impossible to know that at the time. Puljujarvi and Yakupov were then right picks at the firm, they just didn't turn out, they were not ruined

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
He's a 20 year old kid playing in the nhl. If he struggles a bit be patient. My understanding always was he wasn't going to be truly dangerous until he filled out anyway. The fact he's made the league before that happened speaks to the plethora of talent he has

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'd do Puljuuu for A. Nylander. Both have the upside guys like Donato and Zykov don't have, both are young and I guess you could say struggling. Keep in mind both of 'em are only 20 years old, and they could easily put up ~60 points this year or next year if they get their sh*t together. Pulju for Nylander+4th.

Something critical to remember

Nylander was kept down intentionally so he will be exempt firm a 2020 expansion draft. Puj is not exempt.

No interest.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I mentioned this in the other thread but got no feedback.

I thought Sprong for Puljujarvi was a decent swap.

Skill for jam. Both seem to be in a similar oddball role with their team. I think both teams fans agree that both have more to give. Both could use a fresh start. I think both teams could use the other too. Pens could use a little more jam and Edmonton could use a skilled wing to click with Drai or McD.

I do think both players are future top 6 wings. Similar ages. Sprong certainly has the edge in AHL numbers/performance. Puljujarvi has a couple more NHL games though.

I think if both teams are looking for a new player in a 1:1 swap, this would be a decent look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad