Proposal: Puljujarvi for Your Equivalent Winger

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pulju's value is pretty low at this point. Unless he's setting fires in hotel rooms, or trying to sleep with other player's wives, probably best to keep him. It's still early.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
How did the Oilers scouting staff mess up this pick so badly?

It's easy to pile on, I know, but when you watch this guy on the ice, he doesn't seem like he'll ever be more than a 4th liner. And if he wasn't such a high pick, he may not even have been be considered for that kind of duty.

bigbenst

Oct 10, 2017
Shea Weber and Charles Hudon for Milan Lucic, Puljujarvi, Tyler Benson, 2019 1st and 2020 1st.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

It's easy to pile on, I know, but when you watch this guy on the ice, he doesn't seem like he'll ever be more than a 4th liner. And if he wasn't such a high pick, he may not even have been be considered for that kind of duty.
Don't think they messed it up badly when most thought he'd go third. He just hasn't developed yet. That and it's only game 100 for him. Far from a finished player

Reactions: zar and Mork

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
Umm am I the only one thinking he's 20 and be patient?

You only drafted him 2 years ago and like I get sometimes europeans don't pan out, for example Rubdblad but mmm shouldn't you be patient?

What are the fans real expectations here? Was he rushed at all?
Has never been put in a position to succeed,pretty much been buried on the 3rd line with Strome. Has had no pp time to really count. TMac has his stubborn ways with vets. When Looch struggled last year he continued to play with McDavid to the tune of 40+ games. Just a example of not being in a position to succeed. The way JP started in preseason had people talking , then lines were made and boom 3rd line again.

Reactions: zar

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Don't see any point in trading JP for a similar aged player. We need a proven winger, not another young winger that may or may not get the coaches trust.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I don’t think you’re getting Jost. Avs like him as the 2C of the future and even though he isn’t racking up the points, he’s a big part of their red hot powerplay. He’s also quicker than Puljujarvi and a strong two-way force.

I don’t know why you’d trade him for any of the other guys you listed. All have lower ceilings and are worse players right now IMO.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Kapanen for Pool Party.
second this from the Leafs side, I'd gamble on Poolparty's upside. Kapanen is proving that he can be effective pretty much anywhere in the lineup and can score riding shotgun with a line driver which should work just fine in Edmonton

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Any team drafting 4th would have jumped on the chance to draft JP. The scouts didn't mess the pick up, the coaching staff have been messing up his development. He should have been sent down in his rookie year before his 9 games were up. Last season he should have been getting top minutes in the AHL.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
second this from the Leafs side, I'd gamble on Poolparty's upside. Kapanen is proving that he can be effective pretty much anywhere in the lineup and can score riding shotgun with a line driver which should work just fine in Edmonton

It's looking more and more like Pulju will have to remake himself as a role player to stick around. I don't think he can land Kapanen at this point. He has plenty of time to carve out a career and is nowhere near a bust, but it is not looking good that he will be a premier top 6 player in the NHL. If things don't turn around for him, it's likely he's dealt for a project player in return. Will take a lot more than Pulju to get Kappy. That said, I think Kappy would be a great fit on the Oilers as he's in McDavid's age range and one of the few players that could be obtained that could keep up with his speed.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Has nothing to do with the player and everything to do with development.

Once again, they throw a player to the wolves instead of developing them. This is a kid who was very raw but according to scouts had as much skills as Laine just not as good of a shot. He didn't speak any English. So what do they do?

They bring him over and throw him in the NHL for 30 f***ing games before realizing this kid isn't ready, so they send him down.

Then the next season, instead of keeping him down, they bring him up AGAIN despite being no where ready for a top 6 role and still struggling with English.

What they SHOULD have done is kept him over seas another season and supply him with a personal english tutor until he got good enough to at least have passable English where he can understand the instructions being given to him. Then they should have brought him over and, with the help of their scouts, identify his strengths and weaknesses over seas and in training camp, and then send him back down to the AHL to work on those things while continuing to get practice with English.

Then just keep him down there until he is so good that he is lighting the AHL on fire. Then all of a sudden this kid comes up and is full of confidence and can be instructed by the coaching staff.

How their development is still THIS incompetent after so many busted drafted picks is literally almost mind boggling. Like they just haven't learned. And all they have to do is copy what the successful teams are doing to get the most out of their picks.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad