Value of: Puljujärvi plus Lucic with 1 Mil retained

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If we're going to be serious. Lucic and Puljujarvi are probably a wash. Maybe package them for a 3rd? Ottawa, NJD, Car, Col might all be suitable partners.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
How long does Lucic have on his contract after this year? 4 years? Idk if Minnesota was committed to rebuilding for the next 5 years I’d take that contract if you added your 1st this year. You’re not going to get much back from us though.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
How long does Lucic have on his contract after this year? 4 years? Idk if Minnesota was committed to rebuilding for the next 5 years I’d take that contract if you added your 1st this year. You’re not going to get much back from us though.

Edmontons first this year? A top 5 pick possibly? No, Edmonton will get out of that contract 1 of 3 ways
1. Buyout, will sting but provides some relief, better then trading an elite level player you’d pick this year
2. Waiting to offload it with Seattle like a lot of teams did by adding some enticement
3. The most likely, compliance buyout after the NHL negotiates a new CBA

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
If we're going to be serious. Lucic and Puljujarvi are probably a wash. Maybe package them for a 3rd? Ottawa, NJD, Car, Col might all be suitable partners.

LMAO they’re not even close to being a wash. Those two combined might at best return a slightly (and I mean only a tiny bit) less awful cap dump - and even that’s only if Lucic is willing to have his NMC revoked.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Edmontons first this year? A top 5 pick possibly? No, Edmonton will get out of that contract 1 of 3 ways
1. Buyout, will sting but provides some relief, better then trading an elite level player you’d pick this year
2. Waiting to offload it with Seattle like a lot of teams did by adding some enticement
3. The most likely, compliance buyout after the NHL negotiates a new CBA
Compliance buyout seems like the way to go. I don’t know why Seattle would look at taking his contract. There’s gonna be a lot of pressure on Seattle to be a good team from the drop. And, I could be wrong, but wouldn’t the cap-recapture penalty on a Lucic buyout be huge?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Edmonton would need to add a couple first rounders to get any GM to even pick up the phone. No one wants Lucic.

no. Clarkson got traded.

It'll cost a pretty penny, but not 3 1sts rounders or garbage like that.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Nobody sees the value in Puljujarvi so better to keep developing the kid. There is something there.

Better off to see if we can buy Lucic out if we get that cba buyout deal like last time.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No to this trade. Lucic’s nmc means he has to be protected in the expansion draft and we would lose a player that is better than JP or lose JP itself.

Lucic is untradable

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Posters keep saying things about Lucic getting or agreeing to his NMC being nullified. I have never seen a player with a NMC/NTC in effect at the time of the trade not keep it in effect after the trade. Maybe there are some I'm not aware of, but I haven't seen any. I know there are players that had clauses that had not yet kicked in that were not honored by the new team, but I've never seen it happen once the clause is in place. Seems like a very, very unlikely scenario so don't think it's worth bringing up.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Posters keep saying things about Lucic getting or agreeing to his NMC being nullified. I have never seen a player with a NMC/NTC in effect at the time of the trade not keep it in effect after the trade. Maybe there are some I'm not aware of, but I haven't seen any. I know there are players that had clauses that had not yet kicked in that were not honored by the new team, but I've never seen it happen once the clause is in place. Seems like a very, very unlikely scenario so don't think it's worth bringing up.

That’s what I was hinting at: that Lucic could only be moved, even for another awful cap dump, if he would be willing to waive his NMC (which is not likely to happen.) In short, he’s almost certainly not going anywhere.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
Id take a chance on this as a Habs fan, if the package was something around Hudon & a 2nd/3rd.

As much as ive hated lucic in the past, he has a good history with Julien and puljujarvi mite be rejuvenated playing with his fellows fins in Kotka/armia/niemi/Lekhonen.

Even if lucy sucks he'd be at 5 mil with 1 mil retained and if he is waived his cap hit would be closer to 4.1 mil. Still not great but if ever puljujarvi becomes a top 6 fwd this becomes a steal of a trade.

From 2021-2023 lucic's cap hit would really hurt but for the next 2 years it should be manageable. With how much he's slowed down in such a short leriod of time id be really suprised if he wasnt placed on ltir for the last couple of years but even then with only 5.5 mil in $ payed but 12 mil in cap spent, a trade to a salary floor team could make sense.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Lucic refuses to waive his NMC then you have to suck it up and buy him out a year before the expansion draft. He's not worth losing a more valuable player.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Looking at Corey Perry’s contract and recent injury status I feel like Anaheim could be and option for the Oilers during the summer.

After Lucics bonus is paid this summer he will be owed 1 million more over an extra 2 years than Perry.

Seeing that the Ducks operate on a budget and the decline in Perry’s play I could see a Perry for Lucic + Puljarvi + picks/prospects type of deal working out for both teams.

Oilers would take on more actual dollars and another big cap hit in the shorter term but get a chance at a better player.

Ducks receive some assets for Perry but take on equal salary over more years giving them more flexibility to rework the roster.

Uh, no chance. Perry is actually useful but overpaid. Lucic is not useful and is therefore majorly overpaid. But even if you don't agree with that, Perry's contract expires before the ED, Lucic must be protected. Ducks want nothing to do with that. See...Beiksa, Kevin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->