Value of: Puljujärvi plus Lucic with 1 Mil retained

John B

Nov 19, 2016
If he's traded the teams don't have to honour his nmc . He just has to want to leave edm enough
"The clause can travel with the player even if the player is traded or claimed on waivers. This requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent). If the acquiring team refuses to sign the addedum, and the player waives his clause anyway, at that point the clause may be nullified." Source is from capfriendly.com.

So this is correct if Lucic is willing to nullify the clause, otherwise it travels with him if another team is willing to honor it. I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't want to keep the NMC. If he were willing to nullify his NMC, I would consider @78Oil's proposal a few comments above (#8 to be exact).

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Id do it for the Canucks, i gotta soft spot for Lucic.

Lucic (1 mil retained), Pullji, 2019 1st for Eriksson and 2020 4th

Edmonton gets out of Lucics contract and gets a guy who may refind his magic is put with Mcdavid. Big win for them

Canucks get a good draft pick and potential in Pullji but take on the famous boat anchor contract.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
David Backes?

Honestly Boston still turns that down.

Maybe you can get someone with a toxic contract that is about 1 maybe 2 years less than Lucic

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I would hate our GM instantly if he made this deal. Not enough to take on that contract. You do know Chia has not been hired anywhere right?
Meh it isn’t that bad for a team starting a rebuild. I expect the oilers to retain 50 percent and trade him for a pick or something tho

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
You seriously might have to have Lucic killed to get out from under that contract.
You can trade him for another bad contract. 1m retained + a so-so asset like JP Jarvi makes that other bad contract slightly better than Lucic's contract.

It would have to be a win-win deal. A team that can use Lucic in their bottom six more than the player they are giving up.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Id do it for the Canucks, i gotta soft spot for Lucic.

Lucic (1 mil retained), Pullji, 2019 1st for Eriksson and 2020 4th

Edmonton gets out of Lucics contract and gets a guy who may refind his magic is put with Mcdavid. Big win for them

Canucks get a good draft pick and potential in Pullji but take on the famous boat anchor contract.

You think Eriksson is worth a top-10 (5?) pick + Pulju more than Lucic with retention?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If he's traded the teams don't have to honour his nmc . He just has to want to leave edm enough
That never happens though. I’ve never seen a player with a nTC/NMC in effect where it doesn’t stay in effect when he moves. Nash, phaneuf, and even Nathan Horton are examples.

I’ve seen cases where a guy has a clause in the future that is not yet in effect and a team doesn’t honor it, but don’t recall ever seeing a case that it doesn’t stay with a player once it’s in effect. Makes sense. Why would a guy waive in the first place without it staying in effect after the move?

OLUSAF

Sep 8, 2007
Looking at Corey Perry’s contract and recent injury status I feel like Anaheim could be and option for the Oilers during the summer.

After Lucics bonus is paid this summer he will be owed 1 million more over an extra 2 years than Perry.

Seeing that the Ducks operate on a budget and the decline in Perry’s play I could see a Perry for Lucic + Puljarvi + picks/prospects type of deal working out for both teams.

Oilers would take on more actual dollars and another big cap hit in the shorter term but get a chance at a better player.

Ducks receive some assets for Perry but take on equal salary over more years giving them more flexibility to rework the roster.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
His NMC holds up any trade for him...No contender that he would waive for will be interested in a deal like this ,so it will be a bottom dweller looking to make the floor...In which case Lucic will not waive

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
not enough. the team would have to sell the owner on paying a bottom 6 guy 20 million over the next 4 years to get a young guy that has shown nothing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad