OT: Pujols or Pietrangelo

Discussion in 'St. Louis Blues' started by Bobby Orrtuzzo, Apr 20, 2020.

?

Pujols or Pietrangelo

1. Pujols

52.1%
  2. Pietrangelo

47.9%
  3. Even

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GoldenSeal Believe In The Note

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The minute Captain Pie lifted the Cup wearing the Note ON BRUINS ICE for chrissake made him immortal. He'll stay in the STL because he wants to. Five years from now he'll be the next VP of the Blues, quote me on that.

Stupendous Yappi likes this.
  2. joe galiba Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Pujols is one of the best ever
    He is in the same company as Ruth, Bonds, Gehrig, Williams, Mantle, Musial, Hornsby
    Petro is very, very good but he is not among the best ever
    You wouldn't put him on a list with Orr, Harvey, Robinson, Bourque, Shore, Coffey, Lidstrom

3. BlueDream Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    My thoughts exactly.

I'm not even a Cardinals baseball fan but the fact that Petro is winning this is pretty funny. Definitely a biased poll that doesn't reflect what most of STL thinks.

Pujols will go down as one of the greatest players of all time. Pietrangelo won't.

4. Celtic Note Living the dream

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    If the question is: who would hurt ME the most by leaving? Then it’s Pietrangelo, since I care way more about winning the Cup than the World Series.

Who hurts their team more at the time? Probably Pietrangelo, but it is closer than the first question. We saw the Cardinals win without Pujols. The same cannot yet be said for Pietrangelo. That’s not to diminish Pujols’ massive contributions to the Cardinals. He might have been more important during their championship, just not as important the year he left.

If the question is: who had the biggest impact on their team and the league? Pujols is really the only acceptable answer.

Klank Loves You likes this.
  5. Mike Liut Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    when comparing the two at their current state of leaving via FA, Petro is the better player and more important to the team. Pujols was in decline.

6. TheBluePenguin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 716,896
    I voted for Petro, not because I am bigger hockey fan but solely because I think Petro will agew better. Albert was WAY better in the overall scheme, he's one of the greatest ever to play the game in those 11 years he gave St louis. Petro's game is going to age well. his style will make him very effective for a while yet where Albert slowed down pretty quickly after he left. We clearly got his best years.

Mike Liut likes this.
  7. TheBluePenguin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 716,896
    I did not see your post when I wrote mine, but I 100% agree

Mike Liut likes this.
  8. The Note Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    People seem to be answering two different questions. No one would argue Petro is better relative to Pujols. Pujols gave the Cards perhaps the best 10 year stretch any player has had in history. He's a first ballot HOFer and at worst the second greatest player in franchise history behind one of the legends of the sport. Pietrangelo isn't anywhere near that.

However, the question was:
    So it shouldn't surprise anyone that on Blues centered forum Petro is leading. Toss in the fact Pujols was beginning to decline and was never going to be worth that contract, while Petro seems to keep getting better and is -at worst- the second most important player in keeping the Cup window wide open, it all makes a lot of sense.

Bluenatic, Brian39 and TheBluePenguin like this.
  9. Veneficus Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I choose Albert mainly because that also started the Matheny era.

10. STLBLUES44 The real KLIM SHADY

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    They wouldn't have been able to afford those other impact players tho because alberts contract is insane.

11. STLBLUES44 The real KLIM SHADY

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    5? i'd hope he's still playing hockey..... i'll say 8-10 :)

12. SwivelSchwartz Registered User Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    :naughty::naughty:
    If it makes you feel any better... we got a third round pick in 2011 for Eric Brewer and took Binnington. We may never have won the cup if we didn’t trade Pronger :naughty:
    As for the topic, recency bias and the first ever leans towards Pietro, but Pujols was on a completely different level. He was equivalent to Crosby/mcdavid

Mike Liut likes this.
  13. DoubleK81 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Like most have stated, Pujols was already starting to decline when he left. The contract he got, on an NL team where he can't DH but a couple times a season would have been devastating. That said, I thought he was greedy when he left, but I didn't really care that he was leaving.

Petro, while an outstanding player, an undoubted #1D on any team, wouldn't bother me if he leaves. Outside of him walking for a meager increase in $ I wouldn't be upset in the least. I think if Parayko is given the reigns to the #1 spot, you're going to see a Norris trophy make its home in STL again. I don't think Petro will ever win one regardless of location.

14. Bluesguru Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Albert had too much of an ego. Cards offered him 10 years at 192M and he turned it down. If he really cared about being a Cardinal, he would of stayed. Petro on the other hand in all likelihood will meet Armstrong half way and work something out, because he will want to be a Blue.

15. Mike Liut Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

I read it was 10 yr 250 mill and they were glad he didn’t accept.

16. Mike Liut Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

Pujols was on a different level in his prime, but not even close when he left. Petro is in his prime now.

17. TheBluePenguin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 716,896
    I'm a huge Parayko fan... He's not ever going to win a norris. It's just not going to happen because he doesn't have the offense numbers. Petro is a better overall defenseman with much better offensive stats and he doesn't get any love from the voters because of the defensemen that are basically a 3rd winger on the ice

Brian39 likes this.
  18. Brian39 Registered User Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yup. Parayko would have to double his offensive output just to get into the top 3 of voting and even then he would lose to a substantially worse defender who outscored him by 15-20 points. Petro was on pace for 60 points this year and was going to lose the Norris to Carlson by a landslide because Carlson was going to finish with 85-90 points. I'd take Petro over Carlson every day of the week but you are spot on about Vezina voting.

In order to get Parayko into the 60 point range, you would have to drastically alter his usage and reduce his defensive role.

The Note likes this.
  19. Davimir Tarablad Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I don't think I'd take either of them for Vezina voting :sarcasm:

It'd be a miracle to see Parayko win a Norris unless there's a year where the voters randomly pick a player who is "due" like Doughty.

Petro could win one if he replicates this season while other top offensive D had a down year like in 17-18 where no D broke 70pts.

Brian39 likes this.
  20. LetsGoBooze Brett Hull is my Spirit Animal

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    To me Pujols is generational and is the clear choice, however this is a hockey forum, so i expect the vote to be a lot closer than it should be.

21. Brian39 Registered User Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    In 2025, Parayko is going to set a league record on blocked shots, blocking more shots than any goalie has saves. In recognition of his stunning achievement, the general managers decide that he did more to prevent goals than any goalie and award him the Vezina. The goaltender's union, led by Ryan Miller (who is somehow still in the league) is furious but ultimately backs down when Berube and Army threaten to not carry a goaltender on the roster and play Parayko 60 minutes a night as a permanent floater.

22. Davimir Tarablad Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Advanced stats guys would absolutely ogle over those blocks/60 stats :laugh:

Brian39 likes this.
  23. Celtic Note Living the dream

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I will buy this. I cannot understand how anyone would not.

Brian39 likes this.
  24. TheDizee The Ref Jose Slayer, ALWAYS RIGHT

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    pujols not even close

25. Mike Liut Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Anaheim regrets signing Pujols. Will the team who signs Petro feel the same way? Doubtful.