Puck Tracking: Where is it and what do you think will be gleaned from it?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
So, the systems that will do the tracking are supposed to be installed "at some point" during this season but I haven't heard a thing about it since Bettman said it was coming. Do we know when the tracking systems will be deployed and when the information the generate might be available?

And second part, what do you hope to learn from it? I think the obvious one is actual possession will be fully quantified pretty easily. And I think it will create a bunch of microstatistics that can reveal player value like we haven't been yet been able to. Things like puck races won, passes completed etc. will put a number on things we couldn't before.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Shot velocities, shot trajectories and accurate shot locations are my holy trinity of puck tracking stats.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
So, the systems that will do the tracking are supposed to be installed "at some point" during this season but I haven't heard a thing about it since Bettman said it was coming. Do we know when the tracking systems will be deployed and when the information the generate might be available?

And second part, what do you hope to learn from it? I think the obvious one is actual possession will be fully quantified pretty easily. And I think it will create a bunch of microstatistics that can reveal player value like we haven't been yet been able to. Things like puck races won, passes completed etc. will put a number on things we couldn't before.
I would really love to see lines on the map about passes, where/if they were completed, how far in a line, etc. Also if they had where every player was on the ice during the pass would be amazing

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I would really love to see lines on the map about passes, where/if they were completed, how far in a line, etc. Also if they had where every player was on the ice during the pass would be amazing

Something like this?
images

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Something like this?
images
It would look like that in the totality but you could pick a player and see where he passed and the result of the pass, click on a pass and then see where everyone was during the pass, press play on the pass and see the movement of the players 5 seconds before and up to the reception etc

Reactions: Tweed

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2