Puck rolling off my stick

slackerracker

Jan 16, 2007
New jersey
It seems like over the last 10 or so games, the puck just seems to roll off my stick. Like i'm about to take a shot or make a pass and the puck just doesn't go anywhere and the team gets a break the other way. I haven't changed anything been using the same blade pattern/stick flex for years. I haven't had this happen to me until just recently and i just can't figure out why it keeps happening.

TheOtter

Oct 14, 2007
New Hampshire
It seems like over the last 10 or so games, the puck just seems to roll off my stick. Like i'm about to take a shot or make a pass and the puck just doesn't go anywhere and the team gets a break the other way. I haven't changed anything been using the same blade pattern/stick flex for years. I haven't had this happen to me until just recently and i just can't figure out why it keeps happening.

Are you relatively new to hockey? I go through cycles where I'm under-confident, confident, and then overconfident. During my confident and overconfident periods, I tend to look up more, look for good plays to make (instead of just the first thing that comes to mind), etc. During those times, I have to remind myself to keep paying attention to the puck, because I'm looking around and thinking about what other people are doing. It's not second-nature for me yet to be able to control the puck while thinking about so many other things.

If you're getting more comfortable, you might be more aware of your surroundings, and therefore a little less aware of the puck on your stick.

Just a thought...

slackerracker

Jan 16, 2007
New jersey
I'm not really new, been playing for over 10 years, and for the past 4 consistently, had a 3 year break prior to that. Could be though that I'm thinking too much before making the play, instead of just playing.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Have you changed your stick at all?

I have the problem sometimes, I have no idea what the solution is. I had my stick a little longer and it seemed to make things worse, so I'm planning on chopping down. I did notice when I used a really light, well balanced stick that had a bit shorter blade that the problem went away.

slackerracker

Jan 16, 2007
New jersey
Nope been using the X:40 for awhile, my current stick is rather new but it's my 3rd X:40. Also been taping my stick the same way for years. I really at a loss as to why this has been happening. Maybe it's just a funk.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Almost certainly just a funk if you haven't changed anything with your game. Every so often I go into similar little funks too, get out of it by going to stick and pucks and just really work on stick handling with your head up, shooting with your head up, and on receiving hard passes if possible. You've probably lost a bit of confidence for whatever reason, the best way to get it back is simply practice, get that muscle memory back to where it should be. And in games make sure you're not getting one step ahead of yourself, very often guys will start thinking about/getting into their next move while a pass is on the way, then bungle the pass reception, make sure you've got the puck where you want it before going into the next move. Once you're playing smoothly again you can get fancy and more instinctive, but for now keep it simple.

One other tip I can give is to wax your tape job, and melt the wax in with a heat gun or hair dryer. I do find my stick handling is crisper when my blade is snow/ice free, and properly waxing your blade can keep it basically snow free all game.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
tape from heel to tip

flatten tape by stroking a puck from heal to tip on bothsides of the blade

wax over it

stroke a puck both sides of blade

thats just a personal thing i do puck sticks to my stick thats all i need

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Also been taping my stick the same way for years. I really at a loss as to why this has been happening. Maybe it's just a funk.

Someone asked but I didn't see a response. When was the last time you re-taped it?

Even so, Re-tape it and break any mental funk you may be in. Keep your head up and loosen your grip a bit, and you should be good again.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
Like i'm about to take a shot or make a pass and the puck just doesn't go anywhere and the team gets a break the other way.

Have you recently purchased new skates? That extra height on a new blade can off set the the amount of pressure to the shaft when shooting or passing.

If you haven't purchased new skates, then I recommend bending your knees a little more, or just open up your stance an inch or two. In both cases this will allow you to add more pressure to the shaft when shooting or passing.

Has your shoulder been bothering you for the last two weeks? The shoulder helps add pressure to the shaft to make that flex work during passing. If your shoulder has been bothering you, this too can also be the problem.

Head coach

1dude

Aug 26, 2008
California
i'd say relax....have fun. you may be over thinking the game and might need to loosen the grip (yeah...).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad