Value of: "Puck moving D man" to the Habs

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I imagine Dunn would have been a good fit.

I doubt the Blues are still looking to move him though, after the Gunnarsson injury.

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
Colin Miller would give you PM, blue line bombs, and fairly competent PP support.

Really really good PMD are hard to come by.
CM is exactly the type of guy I believe they need. Not necessarily the best of best in his category, but serviceable and relatively reliable. However, since he's probably their second or third best d man, GM Jack Eichel would likely have a conniption if he was moved.

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
Will Butcher is actually excellent at running a power play - very good offensive instincts. He ran ours in his rookie year, but has since gotten a bit lost in the fray with the emergence of Severson and the acquisition of Subban.

Now that Ty Smith has made a name for himself, Butcher is fighting for playing time. He does have 3 points in 3 games, though.

Thoughts?
I think this is probably the best fit. I was thinking about Butcher when typing the OP but wanted to see what folks thought.

What would a trade look like that meets NJD's needs for the Habs to get Butcher?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If only you took a chance on that cap dump Ghost. Now he is healthy and playing 20:30 minutes a night alongside Provy again.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If only you took a chance on that cap dump Ghost. Now he is healthy and playing 20:30 minutes a night alongside Provy again.
I was onboard with Ghost . Despite his obvious flaws, his one dimensional skills is what we need.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
CM is exactly the type of guy I believe they need. Not necessarily the best of best in his category, but serviceable and relatively reliable. However, since he's probably their second or third best d man, GM Jack Eichel would likely have a conniption if he was moved.

Eichel and Miller in a package then. :laugh:

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Rikkola wouldn’t make an ounce of difference. He would be fighting with Kulak and Mete foe ice time.
He is a clear upgrade on the PP.. there is no doubt about that. Even if it was as a specialty. He looked better than letang or Shultz most of the time. He would be a smart asset for the habs if they paid the right price

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
With the recent slump, and somewhat of a dry spell in the scoring dept for the Habs, some fans have been scapegoating the likes of Edmundson, Chiarot, etc. as acquisitions that didn't fit the ultimate needs of the Habs as a new age, modern, mobile d man.

The Habs appear set up front, but could use a #3 D man (my opinion) that is a younger Petry in terms of mobility and productivity.

So, what options are out there and what are some viable trade scenarios?
Vince dunn

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He is a clear upgrade on the PP.. there is no doubt about that. Even if it was as a specialty. He looked better than letang or Shultz most of the time. He would be a smart asset for the habs if they paid the right price
He hasn’t produced any respectable offense in the NHL. Habs would have no interest in a guy who has proven to be unproductive!

I would only have interest if Byron and one KulakMete were the return. No interest in trading Lehkonen or Armia.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
PHI: Erik Gustafsson
MTL: A pick? Idk, like a 3rd and a 5th?

currently pacing for 52 points over an 82 game season.

Reactions: voxel

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
But if you get a good dman, you'll have to protect him at the ED, or is Romanov exempt? Also, it looks like you need a LHD with Petry and Weber at RHD, so I won't mention Dumba, who the Wild are trying to peddle because they can't protect him at the Seattle ED without hurting themselves up front.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Danault wants real $$ + term which you are not giving to him.
His value is as a rental.

Deangelo is a cheap buy out IF you have to go there.
Whether he wants to or not, he should be on his best behavior b'c this is his last go around, whether it is now or after bought out.

Danault for Deangelo
Habs get useful RD w/min risk worse comes to worse
Rangers get temporary useful pivot who will again want too much and we deal. [Unless maybe Zib decides to take 7.25 x 8 and he is flipped. The we can maybe accommodate Danault short term if he wants 1-2 yrs. maybe.]

Likely scenario, Habs get needed player, Rangers get futures. everybody wins.

Reactions: Lindberg Cheese

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad