Puck Drop Preview: 2014-15 New York Islanders

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Last Word On Sports covers the New York Islanders upcoming season. Today's piece is split into two parts.

Part 1 (Recap of last season, off-season moves, storylines):
http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/09/08/puck-drop-preview-2014-15-new-york-islanders/

Part 2: (Line projections, players on the rise/decline and more):
http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/09/08/puck-drop-preview-2014-15-new-york-islanders-part-two/

Enjoyed reading that. Thanks for sharing.

I basically agree with your forward lines, although I expect Grabner to play right and Bailey to play left (why would they switch?).

Your defense projection seems reasonable to me although the all-midget pairing of Hickey-Vis is somewhat concerning.

Also, I don't think Carkner is a regular in the bottom pair. I have Donovan/Brennan with Strait there to start the season. Once Griff moves in I expect Strait to get dropped and Hickey to move down to bottom pairing duty.

Also, the "A shot of Bailey" section I disagree with almost entirely. I don't think Bailey should be traded since he certainly fits in our bottom six. Nor do I think there would be any trouble finding a "team willing to take on a player of Bailey’s caliber at $3.3 million for the next four years." He is a bargain at his current salary. And ending that section by saying it is unlikely that Bailey will improve is a very negative projection for a 24 year-old, IMO.

Completely agree with your projection for Griff though, although I hope he does well enough in camp to make the team immediately.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Ya, I don't see Carkner slotted in the bottom pairing as a regular. Carkner knows his roll and it will be the same as the last two seasons. He will be inserted when we need his physical presents. He seems to be fine with that. I think it will be Strait with Brennan/Donovan on the bottom pairing to start the season. I just don't think they are going to rush Reinhart. We will have injuries on the blueline so he will get his shot soon enough.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Nice write up...

only 2 complaints.

1) The Bottom D Pairing

2) The isles wear Royal Blue not navy

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Thanks for the correction. I fixed the colors.

As for the bottom pairing, I agree in the sense that Carkner won't be in the line-up on a consistent basis, that much is obvious. The bottom pairing and fourth line is never really set in stone but I like Carkner in there to start the season off. Of course Brennan and Strait are more appropriate fits.

As for Griffin, I like the top 4 for the Isles and Griffin would be better off logging big time minutes in Bridgeport than to be fighting for a bottom pairing spot and sitting in the press box sometimes. He could use the time in the AHL as well for some seasoning instead of jumping straight into the NHL. That's barring anything happening though, like an injury or two, or de Haan not working out with Hamonic. I think it would take something major to bring in Griffin. Then again, if he absolutely tears up the AHL and someone in the Isles line-up is struggling, that could also be a fair time to bring up the kid.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your forward lines and top 4 d pairings...

Also I was not offended or upset about the colors mistake.. I was basically in a joking manner pointing out I only didn't like the D with Donovan and Carkner and the rest was very well written.

I agree about Reinhart that the Isles may start him in BPORT and go from there. My personal feeling is that he could handle an NHL role this year and starting out with 16-19 TOI a game is not that bad for his development. In Bport he would likely see 20-25 TOI a night.

For defense its different Because they Generally get mote Ice time than most forwards.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'm with everyone else as to Carkner not being a mainstay in the starting 6. One thing thats interesting though is that Carkner (and Boulton) are two of the vets who are running the informal workouts at Ice Works. While that doesn't necessarily mean all that much, perhaps he's more ingrained in the team's future than I (and others) are giving him credit for.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Thanks for the compliments and I didn't mistake your comments for you being upset. I rolled my eyes at my own stupid flubs (Nielson instead of Nielsen, navy blue instead of royal blue -- which reminded me of the scene from Liar Liar. "The pen is RrrrrrrOYAL BLUE!")

Love that movie!!!

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Enjoyed reading that. Thanks for sharing.

I basically agree with your forward lines, although I expect Grabner to play right and Bailey to play left (why would they switch?).

Your defense projection seems reasonable to me although the all-midget pairing of Hickey-Vis is somewhat concerning.

Also, I don't think Carkner is a regular in the bottom pair. I have Donovan/Brennan with Strait there to start the season. Once Griff moves in I expect Strait to get dropped and Hickey to move down to bottom pairing duty.

Also, the "A shot of Bailey" section I disagree with almost entirely. I don't think Bailey should be traded since he certainly fits in our bottom six. Nor do I think there would be any trouble finding a "team willing to take on a player of Bailey’s caliber at $3.3 million for the next four years." He is a bargain at his current salary. And ending that section by saying it is unlikely that Bailey will improve is a very negative projection for a 24 year-old, IMO.

Completely agree with your projection for Griff though, although I hope he does well enough in camp to make the team immediately.

This was actually a great pairing two seasons ago. And if you know my posting habits you know I lean heavily towards mighty redwoods on the blueline.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Last Word On Sports covers the New York Islanders upcoming season. Today's piece is split into two parts.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/09/08/puck-drop-preview-2014-15-new-york-islanders/

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/09/08/puck-drop-preview-2014-15-new-york-islanders-part-two/

Very impressed with this article. One of the first online writings in a while that had a good handle on a lot of information.

However, two things that I would factually disagree with:

1) The injury to JT was not the most significant injury and the isles were pretty much out the playoffs baring a miracle. The Nabby injury early in the season exposed the weakness at the backup spot and other goalies in the system. Worse, the loss of Viz completely killed the Isles defensive transition game until DeHaan arrived and got comfortable.

2) On two separate occasions you make reference that Nabby was the one who bolted NYI for greener (or bluer I guess) pastures. That's factually incorrect. Snow traded for and signed Halak prior to the end of the NHL season (June 30) and while Nabby was awaiting to become an UFA. Essentially, the Isles said 'no thanks' to Nabby as a starter than the same as a backup signing Johnson, whom signed before Nabby with TB. So, give credit where credit is due. Snow proactively upgrade the goaltending in one shot and finally moved on from an aging get that was hurting the teams progress.

Menwithouthat tricks

Dec 25, 2002
Visit site
Two comments:

1) I expect Griff to make the team and Carkner to be a spare defenseman.
2) I think Anders Lee is in the mix, though I don't know who he would replace. I see Clutterbuck and Martin on the same line as being redundant and Martin as the more likely to lose his spot.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This was actually a great pairing two seasons ago.

I think the problem with Hickey/Vish is it depends who they play against. I have no problems playing them against smaller skilled guys but I worry putting them up against bigger players. It's a basic case if you are playing the Penguins, you are probably better off using Hickey and Vish against Crosby, Hamonic and De Haan against Malkin because I don't think Hickey and Vish will be as effective against Malkin(although I would much rather put De Haan and Hamonic against Crosby)

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I think the problem with Hickey/Vish is it depends who they play against. I have no problems playing them against smaller skilled guys but I worry putting them up against bigger players. It's a basic case if you are playing the Penguins, you are probably better off using Hickey and Vish against Crosby, Hamonic and De Haan against Malkin because I don't think Hickey and Vish will be as effective against Malkin(although I would much rather put De Haan and Hamonic against Crosby)

I'm actually rather high on Hickey - I thought about changing my vote in the "surprise" thread. I feel like he's starting to figure it out at the age that defensemen start to figure it out. Last year, he was surprisingly good at dealing with bigger players by positioning himself well and using his body cerebrally. The numbers don't lie. Vis and Hickey have the best numbers together over the last 2 years by a decent chunk. It's been mentioned that they are a small pairing... but they've worked. If we can make a better combination of defense splitting them up, I'm all for it. But as of now, I think it is our 2nd pairing.. and not by default, but because it's worked.

If I'm worrying about the only thing even close to a good pairing over the last 2 years, then I'm pretty excited.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site

agree with this completely. although, for it to be effective, Cappy has to be better at matching.

originally, i cringed when i saw Vis and Hickey together. mostly because of Hickey, as i was comfortable with Vis. now, i am sold on Hickey, and it is Vis (health concerns) that worry me. as long as Hickey does not regress (and i don't think he will), and Vis stays healthy, they are a respectable 2nd unit.

i don't mind our top 4, despite their size, but if only 1 of them gets injured (and of course it will happen), we are going to be in a bind. when this happens, we can only hope that Halak (if he is healthy :help: ) and team commitment to defense get tighter. i have confidence in our forwards, though. the only F that i thought to be weak defensively, was McDonald. and he should be gone.

1) The injury to JT was not the most significant injury and the isles were pretty much out the playoffs baring a miracle. The Nabby injury early in the season exposed the weakness at the backup spot and other goalies in the system. Worse, the loss of Viz completely killed the Isles defensive transition game until DeHaan arrived and got comfortable.

was going to say the exact same thing. i guess, IMO, the JT injury was significant, but for different reasons. i fully expected the team to go on a slide, but they showed a lot of resillience in JT's absense. actually, in the absense of JT, KO, Vis, Grabs, and CDH. yes, i know, there was no pressure at the end of the year, and we played weaker teams, but i still came away impressed with how our 'B' team finished the season.

Last edited:

IwayMike

Jul 31, 2007
Very impressed with this article. One of the first online writings in a while that had a good handle on a lot of information.

However, two things that I would factually disagree with:

2) On two separate occasions you make reference that Nabby was the one who bolted NYI for greener (or bluer I guess) pastures. That's factually incorrect. Snow traded for and signed Halak prior to the end of the NHL season (June 30) and while Nabby was awaiting to become an UFA. Essentially, the Isles said 'no thanks' to Nabby as a starter than the same as a backup signing Johnson, whom signed before Nabby with TB. So, give credit where credit is due. Snow proactively upgrade the goaltending in one shot and finally moved on from an aging get that was hurting the teams progress.

I completely agree with your first item. Both the Nabby and Viz injuries hurt us early on so we were out of contention by the time JT got hurt. If Nabby and Viz stayed healthy, then the JT injury would have been much more significant.

As for your second item I though Nabby was offered a deal to be the backup, but did not like the money and/or term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad