Puck Drop Preview: 2014-15 Nashville Predators

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
That lineup is intriguing. I don't think many of us think Forsberg will make the starting team, but he has played very well. If Forsberg and Fiala make a strong push for the roster, Poile will have a hard task on his hands.

Something I would consider is trading a prospect to Boston for Adam McQuaid. Then that allows us to move Ellis for a established top 6 forward, Lupul perhaps?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Oilers fan coming in peace. Really like what you guys did in the off-season. Don't think it's crazy to suggest you guys could be a surprise playoff team and bump one of Colorado/Minny/Dallas out of a playoff spot. With that said, selfish question: When are you guys trading us Cullen? If that line up listed (that didn't even include Jokinen) resembles opening day lineup, I'd have to think Cullen would be available for a pick, no?

I know Preds fans maintain that there is no internal budget, but last year when the Oil traded for Hendricks (viewed as a cost cutting move for the Preds), we sent an expiring contract the other way (Dubnyk), yet retained 50% of his salary. It only equated to roughly 900k in money saved for the Preds and had no cap implication, so why was it so important to do? Point being, I think the Preds are still a team with fiscal concerns regarding roster moves. I don't doubt they are willing to take on salary for the right player, but I think they are equally concerned with bang for buck. This is why I'm curious if Cullen is available? His 2 year deal was back loaded, he's a 3.5 hit making 4 mil to possibly play 4th line?

So what's the price tag (4th rder is my guess)? Or has there been any indication that he'll play higher up in the line up?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
In a lot of circumstances I'd think Cullen could be available, but his history with Laviolette and winning a Cup with him in Carolina may lead to him being one of the key cogs in the lineup. At least for the time being. Not sure how available he might be, but I don't think we have any motivation to send him somewhere anytime soon. If we suck this year and are looking to get rid of guys then I could see Cullen being one of the first, if not the first, to be sent elsewhere.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Oilers fan coming in peace. Really like what you guys did in the off-season. Don't think it's crazy to suggest you guys could be a surprise playoff team and bump one of Colorado/Minny/Dallas out of a playoff spot. With that said, selfish question: When are you guys trading us Cullen? If that line up listed (that didn't even include Jokinen) resembles opening day lineup, I'd have to think Cullen would be available for a pick, no?

I know Preds fans maintain that there is no internal budget, but last year when the Oil traded for Hendricks (viewed as a cost cutting move for the Preds), we sent an expiring contract the other way (Dubnyk), yet retained 50% of his salary. It only equated to roughly 900k in money saved for the Preds and had no cap implication, so why was it so important to do? Point being, I think the Preds are still a team with fiscal concerns regarding roster moves. I don't doubt they are willing to take on salary for the right player, but I think they are equally concerned with bang for buck. This is why I'm curious if Cullen is available? His 2 year deal was back loaded, he's a 3.5 hit making 4 mil to possibly play 4th line?

So what's the price tag (4th rder is my guess)? Or has there been any indication that he'll play higher up in the line up?

you read way too much into a deal that moved superflous pieces last year. We are not a team in need of a salary dump

We arent going to dump Cullen for a pick unless we are out of the playoffs at the trade deadline. Otherswise we will keep our veteran depth

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

It was less about dumping salary and more about dumping a contract that the team viewed a mistake and freeing up a roster spot. As far as retaining salary for Dubnyk, Poile is going to try to get the best deal he can no matter what. That's his job.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
If we were to trade one of our centers right now it would be to the NY Rangers or maybe even Carolina because of Stepan/Staal being injured. We could get more from one of those two teams because they are really needing help down the middle after losing those guys to injury.

With that being said I am not sure a move would be made right now with Fisher out. Once he is back I could see them maybe trading one of the Vets. If the team comes out blazing and plays really well then we probably wouldn't move anyone anyways.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
you read way too much into a deal that moved superflous pieces last year. We are not a team in need of a salary dump

We arent going to dump Cullen for a pick unless we are out of the playoffs at the trade deadline. Otherswise we will keep our veteran depth

Moving Hendricks was all about shedding salary/long-term contract that saw a 4th liner making too much money. Seems to me that they were a team in need of a salary dump in that deal. If Forbes numbers are close to accurate, the Preds are basically a break even team. Does a team in that situation want to pay Cullen 4 million to play on the 4th line, even if it is only for 1 season?

It was less about dumping salary and more about dumping a contract that the team viewed a mistake and freeing up a roster spot. As far as retaining salary for Dubnyk, Poile is going to try to get the best deal he can no matter what. That's his job.

1. I doubt the deal hinged on us retaining salary on Dubnyk. I think the salary retention was more of a sign of good faith regarding future deals between MacT and Poile.

2. If it was that important to get the "best deal" in terms of finances because it's "his job," wouldn't it also be Poile's job to find the most cost effective players - based on role - as possible? Cullen might be a better player than anyone in the Preds system, but if they can scoop an asset for him AND replace him with a player making 20% of what he makes with only a minor drop off in play/production, wouldn't Poile be inclined to do so?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad