Puck Daddy Alternate Histories

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
I'm not sure how many of you follow puck daddy on yahoo sports but this summer they've been doing alternate history moments for every team. They haven't gotten to us yet, however 1 article they did was what if the Sakic offer sheet wasn't matched,albeit from a Colorado stand point. Here is the link (https://sports.yahoo.com/avalanche-...er-sheet-nhl-alternate-history-175900938.html). Just makes me wonder what are some of the biggest what ifs in this teams history. I know of more than a few off the top of my head. Just seeing what everyone else thinks.

maddskkilz

Jan 27, 2016
Post lock-out what ifs:

... Jagr wins the 2006 Hart and Art-Ross which triggers his contract clause to extend him for a year. Do we still make a big splash going after Drury and Gomez?
... Sauer ties down his helmet and isn't concussed by Phaneuf?
... Rangers split the first two games in LA during the 2014 cup final and Nash's shot doesn't hit the shaft of the stick in game 5?
... Rangers don't **** away game 2 against the Sens in 2007?
... Drury doesn't tie it in Game 5 for the Sabres in 2007 and Rangers close out the series? Think the Rangers would have likely lost to to the Senators though.
... Rangers don't crap the bed in game 5 against the Devils in 2012? Win the series and take on LA in 2012 Finals.
... Zucc isn't concussed by McDonagh, defense isn't decimated by injuries, and we beat Tampa in game 7 in 2015? Would we have been able to take Chicago?

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
Post lock-out what ifs:

... Jagr wins the 2006 Hart and Art-Ross which triggers his contract clause to extend him for a year. Do we still make a big splash going after Drury and Gomez?
... Rangers split the first two games in LA during the 2014 cup final and Nash's shot doesn't hit the shaft of the stick in game 5?
... Drury doesn't tie it in Game 5 for the Sabres in 2007 and Rangers close out the series? Think the Rangers would have likely lost to to the Senators though.
... Rangers don't crap the bed in game 5 against the Devils in 2012? Win the series and take on LA in 2012 Finals.
... Zucc isn't concussed by McDonagh, defense isn't decimated by injuries, and we beat Tampa in game 7 in 2015? Would we have been able to take Chicago?

Remember we had Jags for 1 year of Gomez Drury.
My biggest qualm with 2014 was the phantom call on Zucc in Game 5, that call doesn't get made along with the garbage goalie interference call in game 2 and we have a chance to win the cup at home in game 6, but imagine if we don't **** away game 1 either and we win the cup in 5 ughhh.
In 07 I don't think we beat Ottawa
AS far as 2012 is we were beat up, but imagine if we pull the trigger on a deal that year for Nash or Ryan, could have won the cup and maybe closed out Ottawa earlier.
I doubt we beat the Hawks in 2015. Had it been the Ducks we win in 4.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Post lock-out what ifs:

I don't think anyone was stopping the Kings in '12.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
for me its simple
what if Mess didnt walk in '97 after only 1 year overlap w Gretz
the 97 team was actully close late in all the lost games vs Philly
add the right depth around those guys and it coulda been a few fun seasons

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Dont get the worst luck in the world in 2014, Sather isn't obsessed with Dan Boyle so he keeps Stralman (and still signs G)

B2B cups :)

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Our trade for Stamkos that the TB owner agreed to actually goes through.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I always go back to what if they never traded Amonte and Weight.

We might not have gotten past the Devils...

I always tell my friends we traded Amonte for two double-OT winners against the Devils. And if we don't win the Cup then... what kind of burden does the team carry??

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
The Lindros no-Deal

I also wonder what would have happened had the Rangers been awarded Lindros instead of the Flyers...

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

That piggybacks off my favorite "what if"...what if Richter doesn't give up the 90ft goal to Ron Francis in game 5 in the 2nd round against the Penguins in 1992? The Rangers go up 3-1 and come home with a chance to end the series, and are likely favorites to win the Cup. Win in 1992 and Smith doesn't have to trade Weight and Amonte. Weight establishes himself as an excellent #2 center and, with Sarge as the 3rd line center, they have Turcotte as trade bait. They don't have to move Patrick because of Keenan. They don't trade for Olczyk. They possibly don't even trade Nordstrom. So many unintended consequences of that one goal.

EventHorizon

Bring Back Ties!
I always wondered how differently the franchise would have gone right from the beginning. What if Conn Smythe hadn't been fired and the Rangers didn't bring in Lester Patrick? This is a difference that effects how the entire league unfolds. And then what happens to the Leafs? Do they become one of the most successful franchises in the history of the league?

As far as things that happened during my lifetime, I'd love to undo the Miller and Ridley for Carpenter trade (though that probably ultimately doesn't effect that much). I would like to see what would have happened if what jas said had happened. Richter doesn't allow that soft goal in '92. If the Pens don't overcome the 3-1 deficit (and they just might, they are the defending champs) the Rangers then go on to play Boston. I think they've got a pretty good chance against them, especially with Neely injured. They win that series, they go on to Chicago meaning every playoff opponent for the Rangers finished with under 80 points. The more I type this, the sadder this is making me. But then again, if you change one thing, you have no idea how things unfold after that. Maybe Richter stops that and they win that game but they go on to blow the 3-1 series lead. Maybe that loss effects them to the point psychologically where they just can't close out series in the future and they don't win the Cup in '94. Who knows.

And because if you change one thing you don't know how anything else unfolds, I'd prefer my change to be something that happened after '94. I'd go with the Zuccarello injury in the playoffs. What happens in 2015 if he's healthy the whole way? Another good option is what if they drafted anybody other than Hugh Jessiman? Can you imagine having Jagr and Parise on the same line? Would have been fun.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
We might not have gotten past the Devils...

I always tell my friends we traded Amonte for two double-OT winners against the Devils. And if we don't win the Cup then... what kind of burden does the team carry??

Obviously no way to prove what might have happened in the playoffs, but the speed of Amonte and Gartner breaking the Devil's trap was a big reason we were undefeated against them in the regular season that year.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
for me its simple
what if Mess didnt walk in '97 after only 1 year overlap w Gretz
the 97 team was actully close late in all the lost games vs Philly
add the right depth around those guys and it coulda been a few fun seasons

If Kovalev doesn't get injured*

Worst hockey game I hope I'll ever be at again.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
What if the Rangers didn't win the 1994 Stanley Cup.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ny-rangers...y-200651038.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

...the Broadway Blueshirts may have been more successful through the 1990’s having not made those trades. Adding Wayne Gretzky to a team with Tony Amonte, Todd Marchant and Mike Gartner amongst others could have made for something special and perhaps more years of success in New York beyond the fabled year of 1994. And maybe the team wouldn’t feel pressed to move stud defenseman Sergei Zubov for Luc Robitaille, with Amonte emerging as a true star out scoring Robitaille 140 points to 117 points in the two years Robitaille was in New York.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I grew up in Florida, so here's some consolation if we want to look at bad drafting (first round only!):
  • 2003: Panthers could have drafted any of: Thomas Vanek, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Ryan Kesler, Ryan Suter, Dion Phaneuf or Eric Staal. The Cats went with Nathan Horton.
  • 2004: Panthers could have drafted Devan Dubnyk, Travis Zajac, Lauri Korpikoski, Mike Green or Corey Schneider but went with Rostislav Olesz.
  • 2005: Panthers drafted Kendall McArdle instead of: Matt Niskanen, TJ Oshie or Tuukka Rask
  • 2005: Panthers drafted Michael Frolik but could have had Michael Grabner, Claude Giroux, Semyon Varlamov, Patrik Berglung or Nick Foligno.

Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but this is just to illustrate what it means to be truly "jinxed". To be fair, though, I still don't understand the Olesz pick.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I'm with you, 25 years later I still go back to this one.

Personally, I think the Rangers not only still win in 1994, they potential win a few more times.

The trade of Weight left the Rangers a lot thinner down the middle, especially as Turcotte's body began to break down and Nemchinov's offense slid.

People point to Matteau's OT winner, and I always felt that we wouldn't even be in that spot had we not lost quite so much firepower.

I always felt that the Rangers really decimated their dangerous side at that 1994 deadline and the series against the Devils and Canucks reflected that. Of course it's all theoretical.

The greatest what-if from that era for me was Shanahan. Both with St. Louis and later with Hartford. There was a time the Rangers could've had him close to straight-up for Kovalev. Later, with Hartford, the price went up, but nothing that would've killed this team long-term.

Can you imagine a forward core that had Graves-Messier-Amonte, Shanahan-Weight-(Verbeek?), you also wouldn't have had the trade with Pitts. which means Nedved is moved for a different piece. Add to the scenario if the Rangers held onto Zubov.

The Rangers VERY easily could've had a run similar to Red Wings. The difference was that the Wings made the better moves. They kept the right guys, and brought in the right guys. The Rangers were a lot more spotty with that.

A couple of different bounces against the Devs and Canucks and this is probably a much hotter topic. Because the desperation of 1940 made for some downright scary deals.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Yeah, this one was pretty poor. I get the premise, but it didn't have a lot of depth.

I think a more interesting one would be if they never traded for Messier in 91, and essentially tanked the next 3-4 years. If you assume they end up with top 5 picks each year and actually hit on some picks, their lineup could have been something like this by 95/96:

Turcotte/Nicholls/Amonte
Kariya/Weight/Kovalev
Marchant/Nemchinov/Doan

Leetch/Zubov
Norstrom/Ohlund

Richter

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
2003 and 2010 were also a key moments for me.

My picks were Getzlaf and Tarasenko respectively. Comparing that possibility to the guys we took, Jessiman and McIlrath, highlights two MAJOR, franchise-altering decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->