PUBLIC RELATIONS NIGHTMARE FOR THE PLAYERS-NHLPA, will fans ever forgive them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Public opinion is expressing more and more anger and frustration with the players and Bob Goodenow and at least 90% seem to openly support the owners this time around. Will the players-PA and the NHL ever recover or will they be permanently scared once the dust settles from this war? I know I will never feel the same towards most of todays overpaid players for not sticking up against the big bully better known as Bob Goodenow. I think the game of hockey will suffer a great deal of unreperable damage and public opinion has definately turned against the players and the PA. I doubt that Bob Goodenow or his high priced clones have even considered these facts. I really believe that if this work stoppage continues much longer players value will be decreased by at least half of what it was before September 15th. Pronger may just have to settle for that 5 million he said he would never work for. A PUBLIC RELATIONS NIGHTMARE FOR THE PLAYERS AND THE NHLPA. :madfire: :madfire: :banghead: :banghead:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Yep. Its going to be awfully tough for you. And Bettman doesnt want a settlement so its going all year and more. Do you think you will become a basketball fan or just be turned off sports altogether? Obviously you wont be posting here anymore, this is a fan board. I guess all the player haters will be finding something new to do with their time.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
eye said:
Public opinion is expressing more and more anger and frustration with the players and Bob Goodenow and at least 90% seem to openly support the owners this time around. Will the players-PA and the NHL ever recover or will they be permanently scared once the dust settles from this war? I know I will never feel the same towards most of todays overpaid players for not sticking up against the big bully better known as Bob Goodenow. I think the game of hockey will suffer a great deal of unreperable damage and public opinion has definately turned against the players and the PA. I doubt that Bob Goodenow or his high priced clones have even considered these facts. I really believe that if this work stoppage continues much longer players value will be decreased by at least half of what it was before September 15th. Pronger may just have to settle for that 5 million he said he would never work for. A PUBLIC RELATIONS NIGHTMARE FOR THE PLAYERS AND THE NHLPA.

I am really looking forward to the time when semi-literate's, like you, no longer consider themselves hockey fans and leave these boards. ;) If this lockout accomplishes nothing more than a weeding out of the disloyal bandwagonners it wil have all been worth it. :handclap: Afterall anyone who is so venomous and full of hatred for the players could never in good concience continue to be a hockey fan after such a vile diatribe against them. :eek:

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
bling said:
I am really looking forward to the time when semi-literate's, like you, no longer consider themselves hockey fans and leave these boards. ;) If this lockout accomplishes nothing more than a weeding out of the disloyal bandwagonners it wil have all been worth it. :handclap: Afterall anyone who is so venomous and full of hatred for the players could never in good concience continue to be a hockey fan after such a vile diatribe against them. :eek:

Semi-literate...

Look, you don't have to agree with him, but there is no need for name calling.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
The simple fact is it doesn't matter one iota if the public sides with Goodenow. The fan support doesn't put a single dollar in the pockets of the players or agents. Keeping the fans interested is the problem of the owners. The owners rely on the fans, the players don't.

SENSible1*

s7ark said:
The simple fact is it doesn't matter one iota if the public sides with Goodenow. The fan support doesn't put a single dollar in the pockets of the players or agents. Keeping the fans interested is the problem of the owners. The owners rely on the fans, the players don't.

When impasse is declared and replacement players are used, the players are going to find out just how important public opinion really is to their position.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Thunderstruck said:
When impasse is declared and replacement players are used, the players are going to find out just how important public opinion really is to their position.

The owners are in just as much trouble since it has been proven by Forbes that they pretty much lied about everything they have said involving lost revenues.

X0ssbar

s7ark said:

I would say a good half of the people in the stands for most NHL games couldn't name two players on either team - especially in the US. So when an impasse is declared and the public DOES come out to watch replacements, who, for all they know are the regulars - the NHLPA is gonna get slapped in the face with a dose of reality. They will finally be forced to acknowledge just how little they mean in today's sports landscape - by this time, the owners will have already unilaterally implemented their last proposal and whatever/whomever is left of the NHLPA will try to salvage whatever contracts they can find.

IMO - the NHLPA is not gonna win this so-called "cold-war".

Orange

Jul 12, 2003
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
The owners are in just as much trouble since it has been proven by Forbes that they pretty much lied about everything they have said involving lost revenues.

:shakehead

Only thing Forbes proved is that the teams are losing money. And we all knew that already. Anything else was speculation considering Forbes didn't have any numbers available. They made projections and conjectures. Players and owners don't agree on the numbers and Forbes reinforced the player's position. Any other independent report could just as well reinforce the owner's position. We're still at an impass and NHLPA still has the public relations nightmare.

IMO, the players can't win this one. People can understand the owners : they want a profitable business. They're acting like every owner history's ever known. But the players ... They used to be regular Joes. People identified to them. Not so much anymore. With a mean salary at 1.8 mil, not many fan can relate to them anymore. It's hard to understand players that want to keep salary inflation up when your own salary has been frozen until better days.

But hockey fans will be hockey fans. Instead of relating to their favorite players, they will relate to their favorite team ... Hence people supporting the owners over the players. As far as public relations go, NHLPA is on a sinking ship that may never recover !

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
bling said:

I did not realize Mr. Smith, my grade 7 English teacher was still watching over me. Seriously, you must have more to add to this thread topic than to critique my grammar and spelling. Perhaps, I spent too much time trying to become a hockey player when I should have been spending my time learning how to spell. You see, I would play this great game for peanuts compared to what today's spoiled players get. Personally, I think the salary cap should be 15 million with the top player on each team getting no more than 1 million and ticket prices rolled back to the AHL level, but that's me. Feel free to correct my grammar and spelling since that seems to be so important to you.
:banghead: :banghead:

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
s7ark said:

You don't really believe this do you? If fans stop attending or watching games on tv, players and their agents will end up getting alot less and it's going to take years to get fans to forgive the players this time. You see, most of us everyday people do work under some form of salary cap or cost certainty system so we have a hard time understanding the position taken by the NHLPA. For a principal they say. It's all about Bob Goodenow not wanting to lose to Bettman. His ego won't allow him to give in. Everytime I listen to Goodenow speak it makes me ill. His ego comes through loud and clear and he could care a less about the NHL or it's fans and employees.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
eye said:
I did not realize Mr. Smith, my grade 7 English teacher was still watching over me. Seriously, you must have more to add to this thread topic than to critique my grammar and spelling. Perhaps, I spent too much time trying to become a hockey player when I should have been spending my time learning how to spell. You see, I would play this great game for peanuts compared to what today's spoiled players get. Personally, I think the salary cap should be 15 million with the top player on each team getting no more than 1 million and ticket prices rolled back to the AHL level, but that's me. Feel free to correct my grammar and spelling since that seems to be so important to you.
:banghead: :banghead:

Now your original post becomes even more clear. Not only are you unable to properly express yourself grammatically but you also failed in your quest to become a hockey player. That certainly explains why you are so hateful and jealous of those who did succeed.

I have been trying to figure out why so many Canadians are supporting the Bettman side of things when I know that many of you despise the fact that an American Basketball man is running "your" game. The only thing I can come up with is what you just illustrated, petty jealousy by those who tried and failed towards those who are successful. Sad, really..... :shakehead

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:

What has been proven? The fact that Mike Ozanian (Forbes article editor) has been pro-Union in more than a few of his pact articles regarding labour relations in sports, and is considered pro-PA? The fact he had nowhere near the access as Levitt to individual team finances? Sure, I could do someones taxes without ever looking over their papers by projecting their income, expenses, assets, owners equity, etc, but it wont be accurate.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
bling said:
Now your original post becomes even more clear. Not only are you unable to properly express yourself grammatically but you also failed in your quest to become a hockey player. That certainly explains why you are so hateful and jealous of those who did succeed.

I have been trying to figure out why so many Canadians are supporting the Bettman side of things when I know that many of you despise the fact that an American Basketball man is running "your" game. The only thing I can come up with is what you just illustrated, petty jealousy by those who tried and failed towards those who are successful. Sad, really..... :shakehead

I have no bitterness about not making it. I have many friends that did make it and they have my total support. I think Bettman is a great leader that is taking the proper action to make 30 teams strong and viable. Your comment about Bettman on another thread makes me believe you are either a player, related to a player, a teacher related to a player or an agent which explains why you sound like a Goodenow clone. How about making some helpful suggestions or contributions to this board for a change instead of being everyone's spelling and grammar police.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
s7ark said:

Wow. You can't be serious.

If some players truly think this, this is exactly what is wrong with the players - they've lost touch with reality. The players rely on the fans so much more than the owners do that I can't believe you'd even say this.

The owners don't pay the players. The fans do.

KariyaIsGod*

THe players shouldn't get one iota of sympathy from anybody. Especially guys like Chris Pronger...

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Remember that if and when the season is cancelled, it will be Bettman and the owners that cancell the season.

You can be sure that the players and Goodenow make that very clear, when the time comes.

SENSible1*

John Flyers Fan said:
Remember that if and when the season is cancelled, it will be Bettman and the owners that cancell the season.

You can be sure that the players and Goodenow make that very clear, when the time comes.

Well that should certainly turn the PR tide. LOL

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:

(no offence intended here....)

So what? No one's listening to them and it won't change anything for the fans who can't watch hockey anyway.

I really think that both sides are misjudging the Canadian fan base, and they're in for a big surprise.

How do you sell the game when the average fan looks at the overall situation and realizes that:

- ticket prices aren't going to come down, regardless of the outcome of the negotiations

- the league and the players have forgotten that they're in this together, not against each other

- it's billionaires fighting millionaires over how to divide our money

- there's no lucrative tv deal that might help stabilize the league a little more in some markets

- it's a snoozefest on the ice

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
HF2002 said:
(no offence intended here....)

So what? No one's listening to them and it won't change anything for the fans who can't watch hockey anyway.

I really think that both sides are misjudging the Canadian fan base, and they're in for a big surprise.

How do you sell the game when the average fan looks at the overall situation and realizes that:

- ticket prices aren't going to come down, regardless of the outcome of the negotiations

- the league and the players have forgotten that they're in this together, not against each other

- it's billionaires fighting millionaires over how to divide our money

- there's no lucrative tv deal that might help stabilize the league a little more in some markets

- it's a snoozefest on the ice

In this thread the PR war is being discussed, and currently the owners are winning that battle. IMO that's mainly just in canada, I don't thin kthat US fans have accurately been polled.

It also makes very good sense that the owner would win the PR battle when talking about Canadian fans, since only 1 of 6 Canadian teams would be considered a big-money team.

I agree with all your above points (except the snoozefest on ice comment), but they don't really relate to the ongoing PR battle.

SENSible1*

John Flyers Fan said:
In this thread the PR war is being discussed, and currently the owners are winning that battle. IMO that's mainly just in canada, I don't thin kthat US fans have accurately been polled.

It also makes very good sense that the owner would win the PR battle when talking about Canadian fans, since only 1 of 6 Canadian teams would be considered a big-money team.

And how many of the 24 US markets are "big money" teams?

SPARTAKUS*

The owners will crush the PA this time around. The owners are willing to wait as long as it takes. Don't forget the NHL belongs to the 30 owners not the players. And the owners have the right to want a economic system that will make them money. It seems to me that the players are the one who are jealous of the owners making a profit.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
And how many of the 24 US markets are "big money" teams?

Depends on if you're asking abou tthose that actually spend, or those that could if they wanted to ??

Flyers, Rangers, Red Wings, Stars, Blues and Avalanche spend.

Chicago and Boston if run properly would also fall into the above category.

EDIT: You can add the Devils into the currently spend category.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
OTTSENS said:
It seems to me that the players are the one who are jealous of the owners making a profit.

That isn't the case at the moment, it's the owners who claim to not be making a profit that are jealous of the players taking all their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad