Injury Report: #2: Nolan Patrick Migraine Disorder (Sep. 26, '19); 1-year $874,125 qualifying offer (Oct. 16, '20)

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This is further confirmation that the migraines are connected to the Clutterbuck shot to the back of the head, i.e. concussion, on top of his past and family history. Good luck with the recovery, NP.

Head injuries for sure. But your inner ears are fine tuned and based on flow of minimal fluid and tiny particles. Concussion is a general term, but a lot of balance issues related to that are likely inner ear. Sounds like it’s inner ear from that Gabriel quote.

Frost should 100% be in contention to play 3C in these playoffs. No one has played hockey since March, and they have three weeks of camp plus three warmup games to see who is the best option right now.

Matchups and wars of attrition are bigger in the playoffs but would be a threat out there. And we know AV wants him in.

Reactions: Larry44

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
I think Thompson gets into 1 of the exhibition games and maybe 1 of the round robin games, but otherwise we won't see him unless there are injuries to a 4th liner.

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Farabee - Hayes - Konecny
JVR - Laughton - NAK
Raffl - Grant - Pitlick

He's not playing over any of those players when we are healthy.

Yeah that forward alignment seems formidable in a playoff series. While I would like for Frost to play I dont necessarily agree that he should be in for any of those guys if all are healthy and playing well. Definitely get him in an exhibition/RR game or 2 though.

Next season though he needs to be a regular and learn whatever he needs to on the job. Depth will be very important with the condensed schedule so I'm confident he will play a lot one way or another but it would be best if he was just stapled to the 3rd line and left there.

SomethingHockey

Nov 7, 2016
I had migraine and equilibrium issues in the past. They’re incredibly frustrating. The migraines are whatever— it wasn’t as challenging. The equilibrium stuff was the more frustrating of the two for me. You just don’t feel “right” and it’s difficult trying to explain the symptoms to doctors and friends/family constantly asking about it. I hope Nolan Patrick feels better. Do I think he’ll play again? Yes. No idea on timing. If he’s having equilibrium issues, one day he’s going to wake up and feel “right” and that feeling will last day after day after day. Hopefully that day has already happened.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
As a measure of keeping record, the latest regarding Patrick:

From Fletcher:

“Nolan is feeling better. He’s skating. He’s working out. He’s golfing,” Fletcher said in a conference call with reporters Thursday. “He’s living mostly a normal life. I think he’s made a lot of progress since March. Until we get him back and get in a contact situation, it’s hard to know exactly when he’ll be ready to go, but he continues to improve … and I continue to be optimistic."

“And, yes, I’m counting on him playing at some point in 2020-21," Fletcher said. “We don’t even know when we’re going to start the 2020-21 season, and time is certainly on his side in that regard.”

Fletcher said it’s been a “tough go for the young man and he continues to get better and that’s the good thing, and at this stage, it certainly looks like he’s going to get his quality of life back and hopefully he’ll be able to come back and play hockey for us. He’s a real important part. I think you saw in the playoffs, the ability to have three quality centermen that can play 200 feet and produce offensively is incredibly important, and he’s a part of that future for us.”

Patrick is a restricted free agent. “We’ll have to work through that with his agent,” Fletcher said.
Date: Sept. 10, 2020

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
That’s being extremely optimistic. I would think 90 total between the two would be a success
I agree haha. That’s best best case scenario. But if both play it could be possible. Lindblom should be close to that if on the first line. Patrick seems pretty unlikely, but if he didn’t have all of this happening we would be thinking around 60 pts this year.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I dunno....if I were Patrick why risk my long term health? So he is back to some semblance of normality ....take a big hit....back to square one. I would pass.....sucks we got screwed by bad luck with JVR and Patrick. Those high lottery picks are critical to long term success and potential cup contention...ask Pittsburgh.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I dunno....if I were Patrick why risk my long term health? So he is back to some semblance of normality ....take a big hit....back to square one. I would pass.....sucks we got screwed by bad luck with JVR and Patrick. Those high lottery picks are critical to long term success and potential cup contention...ask Pittsburgh.
And the Oilers

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Can see a few reasons tbh...

1. Money. Like if he is "only" a 50 point two-way forward for the next 7 years that will probably be ~$25m. Then a couple of UFA deals? I guess 7 more years at $35m or so... $60m is a lot to risk leaving on the table if can maybe play again and have a healthy career. (though ofc that will be more like $35m or so once taxes etc considered.)

2. Hockey has been his life. He will "want" to try and play again I am sure. And if he can get back on ice without negative effects I bet he will.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Can see a few reasons tbh...

1. Money. Like if he is "only" a 50 point two-way forward for the next 7 years that will probably be ~$25m. Then a couple of UFA deals? I guess 7 more years at $35m or so... $60m is a lot to risk leaving on the table if can maybe play again and have a healthy career. (though ofc that will be more like $35m or so once taxes etc considered.)

2. Hockey has been his life. He will "want" to try and play again I am sure. And if he can get back on ice without negative effects I bet he will.
If it was me...I would feel I have enough money and just enjoy the rest of my life and health and not take the chance. But obviously I am not in his position so maybe my better angel would be flicked off my shoulder...

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If it was me...I would feel I have enough money and just enjoy the rest of my life and health and not take the chance. But obviously I am not in his position so maybe my better angel would be flicked off my shoulder...

Of course I am no doctor!

But if it is migraines and not concussion related... well... they could flare up again at age 45 out of no-where and he have his quality of life impacted. Happened with my Mum. She had no trouble from being a teenager until mid-40s and now for the last five years has struggled mightily with migraines after thinking they would never come back.

If doctors declare him fit to play and he feels okay he 100% will get back on ice again and have contact, try and play.

I mean, of course, he has earned ~$3m over career. He probably pocketed $1.8m of that... and of course don't know spending habits but lets say he has $1.2m saved. Yeh... if already has bought a place that is enough to retire at 22 and live for 60 years... but only if you live frugally! (albeit ofc would not just retire from everything haha.)

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It’s certainly something to think about. I think there is less to think about for a young 20 something who I’m sure had a certain vision of his life. I think if he is cleared he comes back.

Reactions: Appleyard

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
How much money has he made so far? Can't be enough to just enjoy the rest of his life. He was still on his entry level contract.

Reactions: cavs

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
How much money has he made so far? Can't be enough to just enjoy the rest of his life. He was still on his entry level contract.

Like $3m. So after taxes around $1.8.

If he is not a big spender (say has like ~$1.2m left) and lives a frugal life he could live pretty happily for the next 60 years... assuming he did not spend a lot of that money already and invested some of what he has spent in a place to live he is happy in.

But I guess 75% of the population could not/would not want to live such a lifestyle.

Of course, he could certainly find a job in the sport at some level - or outside the sport - that would pay okay and allow less seepage from what he already has.

But I 99% think he will be back at some point really.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

He has to make a living somehow..

Guys dont give up on their NHL careers that easily. For one, a 10 year career sets them up for life. For two, they love playing.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Fletcher is being honest, they simply don't know how he'll respond to contact.
Only one way to find out.
True and I hope I am 100% wrong, but I feel Nolan's career is one high hit from being over and you just know there will be players on other teams who are willing to take that shot. This really sucks big time cause I like the young man and feel he can really help this club for years to come.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
True and I hope I am 100% wrong, but I feel Nolan's career is one high hit from being over and you just know there will be players on other teams who are willing to take that shot. This really sucks big time cause I like the young man and feel he can really help this club for years to come.

Backstrom has had a long career, and I'm sure he'd been hit more than once. :DD

Just don't know. They don't even know the cause of the migraines, so they have no idea if contact would make them worse or be inconsequential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad