Injury Report: #2: Nolan Patrick Migraine Disorder (Sep. 26, '19); 1-year $874,125 qualifying offer (Oct. 16, '20)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yes, but if AV can coach our AHL players, we have a shot of beating the other AHL teams competing for the SC in June. :sarcasm:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^The update is status quo...

• Center Nolan Patrick, who has missed the season because of a migraine disorder, has been “trending in the right direction,” but he wasn’t sure if he could return if the season resumed.
Source: Sam Carchidi, Philadelphia Inquirer.

Note: He = Chuck Fletcher regarding Nolan Patrick

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
^The update is status quo...

• Center Nolan Patrick, who has missed the season because of a migraine disorder, has been “trending in the right direction,” but he wasn’t sure if he could return if the season resumed.
Source: Sam Carchidi, Philadelphia Inquirer.

Note: He = Chuck Fletcher regarding Nolan Patrick

Basically the exact same status for months.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Not the answer we all were hoping for, but at the same time what do you expect Fletcher to say. This was the safest and correct way to answer the question on Patrick return.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is a fuller quote but offers little more substance:

7 Takeaways from Fletcher Conference Call

In regards to center Nolan Patrick, who has missed the entire 2019-20 season with chronic migraine disorder but has been working to return to play, the situation remains nebulous.

"Nolan's returned home. Generally speaking, he's feeling well in terms of where he has been over the past few months. That's hard to say what exactly it will mean when we do come back to play. He's been trending in the right direction all along. I don't know if that would have a positive or negative impact other than obviously, the benefit of time that he will have to continue to heal and get back," Fletcher said.​

Reactions: Rebels57

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
I'm at the point where I believe that Oscar will play again before Patrick does and I have little hope for Lindbom.

Not sure about that. Mark Herzlich (NFL LB from PA) went from being diagnosed to being cancer free in less than 5 months, but he didn't play the entire season after he announced he was cancer free (which was around the start of the season). But his cancer was in the leg, so maybe that limited his ability to recover physically. Regardless, I don't expect Oscar to be back until the 2021/22 season assuming the same recovery trajectory which I think is optimistic. Nolan appears to be progressing slowly. I think some were too optimistic in their forecasts based on the news he was skating with the team. It took him months to get to that point, so I was expecting another few months to get to the point of having any upper body contact and then another month or so after that to get into NHL game shape. So the start of next season made sense to me for him based on his trajectory. I think Patrick will emerge as a better overall player, particularly in terms of his skating / conditioning. I'm really looking forward to seeing him in action when things resume, but until that happens the organization should be planning for the worst case scenario for both players.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The last update was about a month ago.

Injury Report: - Pt. 2: Nolan Patrick Migraine Disorder (Sep. 26, '19); "feeling better every day" (Apr. 28 update).

In another medical matter, center Nolan Patrick, 21, who has missed the season because of a migraine disorder, is “feeling better every day,” Flahr said.

The NHL season was suspended March 12 because of the coronavirus pandemic; the league is hopeful the season can be resumed.

“It would have been a long shot for him to play down the stretch, but this [pause in the season] means more time, and who knows?” said Flahr when asked if Patrick could play this season. “Obviously, it’s going to be catch-up for everybody. If this season goes into the summer, he’s a possibility, for sure. Again, he’s got to earn his way. With some of the trades and things we’ve done, we have some depth.”

Flahr said if the season resumes and there’s a lengthy training camp, a healthy Patrick would be a “welcome addition.”

Patrick has returned to his home in Winnipeg during the break in the season.​

Reactions: Curufinwe

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
All good news. Any improvement is good and what this seems to be saying is there's a higher chance now than before, which is all we can realistically hope for when he's not actively being tested and evaluated.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not sure about that. Mark Herzlich (NFL LB from PA) went from being diagnosed to being cancer free in less than 5 months, but he didn't play the entire season after he announced he was cancer free (which was around the start of the season). But his cancer was in the leg, so maybe that limited his ability to recover physically. Regardless, I don't expect Oscar to be back until the 2021/22 season assuming the same recovery trajectory which I think is optimistic. Nolan appears to be progressing slowly. I think some were too optimistic in their forecasts based on the news he was skating with the team. It took him months to get to that point, so I was expecting another few months to get to the point of having any upper body contact and then another month or so after that to get into NHL game shape. So the start of next season made sense to me for him based on his trajectory. I think Patrick will emerge as a better overall player, particularly in terms of his skating / conditioning. I'm really looking forward to seeing him in action when things resume, but until that happens the organization should be planning for the worst case scenario for both players.

Herzlich was cleared of cancer in October, didn't play until the next September because by the time he was in game shape, the season was over - but he was probably ready to go well before a year - and he had a rod inserted into his leg, which was probably a longer rehab.

So it's possible Lindblom could play next year, especially if the season start is postponed until December or January.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Having a short summer training camp along with every other player in the league (on playoff teams?) would be a much better way for Patrick to return.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Hopefully the break is what he needed.

Patrick cannot be cleared for full contact until they are allowed to practice... It would be interesting if they did clear him then... I suppose it would be basically the same as if he was cleared upon attending Training Camp in October. Theoretically, he could be cleared, and after Scrimmages play the three Games prior to the PlayOffs... At this point, no Player will be in Game-Shape going in... Patrick will just be more rusty. Could Nolan possibly work out as the 4th Center, and then go from there as the PostSeason progresses?

Please stay tuned.

Reactions: TheKingPin

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Patrick cannot be cleared for full contact until they are allowed to practice... It would be interesting if they did clear him then... I suppose it would be basically the same as if he was cleared upon attending Training Camp in October. Theoretically, he could be cleared, and after Scrimmages play the three Games prior to the PlayOffs... At this point, no Player will be in Game-Shape going in... Patrick will just be more rusty. Could Nolan possibly work out as the 4th Center, and then go from there as the PostSeason progresses?

Please stay tuned.
That’s obviously best case scenario. I’m not too optimistic but I could see it happening. He’s gotten several more months to recoup. But who know what happens with quarantine and being bored. I wouldn’t blame him if he’s binging on Netflix and doing things that could set him back.

Reactions: Sawdalite

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->