Injury Report: #2: Nolan Patrick Migraine Disorder (Sep. 26, '19); 1-year $874,125 qualifying offer (Oct. 16, '20)

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Morin got a cheap 3 year deal coming off a knee injury that would cause him to miss at least 1 season. He had not even close to established himself as an NHLer, with all of 3 games played. I don't even think I'd call that a "prove it" deal -- it was his actual value. Best case he might've cost himself a few hundred thousand in year 3.

Meanwhile, Nolan Patrick is an established NHL 3C. Migraine disorders are no joke, but it's not overly optimistic to think it can be manageable from here on out. It's unique and not comparable to an ACL tear. His floor is a 3C. His "prove it" deal would be moving forwards in his projections. I see no reason he locks himself into multiple cheap years. Unlike Morin, he banked an NHL salary on his ELC. I don't know what that 1 year cost would be......1.5 mil? But we could be talking millions lost by year 2, if he's healthy.
That is a well reasoned and intelligent objection.
upload_2020-3-2_19-2-46.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-2_19-1-57.gif
    upload_2020-3-2_19-1-57.gif
    3.8 MB · Views: 2

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not true. A player that missed a certain amount of games the previous season due to injuries can also get a performance bonus contract

Corey Perry signed on this past summer with Dallas: Corey Perry - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The player has signed a one-year contract after returning from a long-term injury (has played 400 or more games, and spent 100 or more days on the Injured Reserve in the last year of their most recent contract)

So yeah it is possible then. He should qualify for the second part. I can’t remember exactly when he was put on IR but if it was to open the season he well surpassed that at this point.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
So yeah it is possible then. He should qualify for the second part. I can’t remember exactly when he was put on IR but if it was to open the season he well surpassed that at this point.
It says AND....Patrick hasnt played 400 NHL games

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Probably not. It is a gamble. But imagine the payout if he ended up a very good 2C.

Yeah but it could just easily go the other way. There were issues there before the injury. It’s not like he was on some big upswing play wise. Now add in a serious injury & there’s just as much reason on the Flyers end to let it play out with a smaller commitment deal too.

Reactions: Tripod

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
If Patrick could play through this ailment...he would’ve already!
Poor young fella might never get over this disorder...
Just goes to show ya that life has no guarantees and no best before dates...
Hope the kid just lives somewhat of a normal life...
I was selfish at first wanting him to come back this year but f*** it...more to life than hockey!

Reactions: renberg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was selfish at first wanting him to come back this year but f*** it...more to life than hockey!

No point in being fatalistic.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah but it could just easily go the other way. There were issues there before the injury. It’s not like he was on some big upswing play wise. Now add in a serious injury & there’s just as much reason on the Flyers end to let it play out with a smaller commitment deal too.
Then you LTIR him. 3 mill is nothing these days anyway. I think it would be worth the deal. As much as a joke as it is.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think he could play and be fine tomorrow. It’s more likely he is just getting to more a little at a time and seeing if he’s “ok”

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
That’s great news. I would think he could cleared for contact this week and be sent down. Again, I think it’s just a matter of “try something more and see if the migraines are ok”. Stepwise up to the point he is taking regular shifts again. Him at 4C is massive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad