PS4 - looking for fun casual online multiplayer with friends, any suggestions?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Hey, so I don't know what I'm after here exactly, but hopefully I can get a few suggestions tossed my way. I'm after a PS4 multiplayer title, probably in the "MMO" vein... something recently released and visually stunning, immersive, that offers enthralling story and fun co-op campaign gaming that can be played in relatively bite-sized sittings (an hour or two per session). Something that offers a lot of power over character customization and varied powers/tactics/etc for different play styles.

We played Destiny for a bit and it was fun, but that game is horrible at storytelling and lacking in customization.

I think we're looking for something more in the swords/magic type style.

Anything come to mind? Does what I'm describing even exist?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I've heard the rebooted final fantasy 14 is pretty great but its a monthly subscription

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Star Trek Online is a MMO was just recently released on the PS4. Overall it is a few years old (released on the PC in 2010), but pretty fun. Plus on top of that it is free.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Looking for something MMO-like on a console doesn't exactly leave you with many options.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Elder Scrolls Online? It is pretty well done for the PS4.

If you want a FTP MMO then check out Neverwinter. I think graphically ESO is better though. It got hate in the beginning on the PC but the PS4 release was pretty good, graphics are very good and the overall feel is solid.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Diablo 3 is a lot of fun to level up a character or two with a friend.

Not exactly an MMO, but it's always online and lets you drop in and drop out.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
FFXIV is phenominal. Imo its the best MMO going. Yes its a buy + sub game, but its absolutely worth it. Im at the point where I've probably logged a couple thousand hours in it and I fee like I'm just scratching the surface. I haven't even STARTED with the crafting or gathering jobs yet and that is supposed to be one of the games best features! Plus you can level every single job in the game on one toon, so you get invested in that character and don't have to be an altwhore if you feel like you need a change of pace. Tired of playing your monk? Bam! Change your weapon and you're paladin...or a black mage...or a scholar! It's amazing.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Diablo 3 is a lot of fun to level up a character or two with a friend.

Not exactly an MMO, but it's always online and lets you drop in and drop out.

Yea, that's a good one, actually. Except for the story part.

Have they said if the console versions are getting the next update?

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Yea, that's a good one, actually. Except for the story part.

Have they said if the console versions are getting the next update?

Not to my knowledge but I wasn't really paying much attention to BlizzCon. :laugh:

I didn't think the story was bad, but it certainly wasn't great. I'd give it a good ranking above Destiny, though - they actually told a story....Destiny pretended to have story but really only had teasers (at launch, might be better now).

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Not to my knowledge but I wasn't really paying much attention to BlizzCon. :laugh:

I didn't think the story was bad, but it certainly wasn't great. I'd give it a good ranking above Destiny, though - they actually told a story....Destiny pretended to have story but really only had teasers (at launch, might be better now).

The story is pretty horrible though. Over half the story is "this ____ broke, collect all the pieces"

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
The story is pretty horrible though. Over half the story is "this ____ broke, collect all the pieces"

Well true, but there was some interesting stuff with the companions and the nephalem thing and all that jazz...I dunno. It wasn't good, but it at least had something.

But yes, if you're looking for strong storyline, you won't find it here.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
WoW is definitely king if you could swing it.

FF was really good on PS4, but I couldn't justify paying a monthly on top of PS+ and paying for WoW.

Like someone else suggested, Diablo 3 is incredible.

I think ESO is your best bet, though. No monthly, super customizable as far as skills/loadout options. IMO it's the least polished game on the list, but it's enjoyable enough to probably keep you guys busy for awhile.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
WoW is definitely king if you could swing it.

FF was really good on PS4, but I couldn't justify paying a monthly on top of PS+ and paying for WoW.

Like someone else suggested, Diablo 3 is incredible.

I think ESO is your best bet, though. No monthly, super customizable as far as skills/loadout options. IMO it's the least polished game on the list, but it's enjoyable enough to probably keep you guys busy for awhile.

Yeah... I wasn't crazy about ESO. The game just didn't look very good.

I don't think WoW is going to happen as it's not on PS4, and FF14 is also out because of the additional monthly cost.

I guess we'll just wait for someone to bring something WoW-esque to PS4.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
get DC Universe Online, there is a lot of content that is free to give you a good taste of the game. The servers are also joint with PC players so you're not restricted to playing with only Sony players. It's actually a better game than most give it credit for. Not a grind fest either.
If you like it, than you can go all access. Customization is KING in this game. There is a style feature that will allow you to change your superhero/villain's look whenever you like.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad