GDT: PS2 A&B: Coyotes @ Kings, Staples Center 7:30pm - Kings @ Coyotes, GRA 7pm

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
EDIT.... Twitter is three minutes ahead....... :D 2-1 Kings (@ GRA) now.

Meanwhile Garland scored in LA.... 2-0 Coyotes @ Staples.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
With the exception of the PK, the GRA Coyotes just aren’t very crisp. Poor puck handling, poor passing and just a lot of plain old pond hockey from when I was about 7.

Reactions: GiveAFlyingPuck

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Gross scores and Garland gets his second in LA..... 5-0 Coyotes.

Gross' goal was a shortie.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Boxscore makes it seem like Garland really wants to make the team as a regular. 6 SOG 2g 1a. Christian Fischer better watch his back. Then again, it sounds like he had a good night in Vegas.

Reactions: Jakey53

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Boxscore makes it seem like Garland really wants to make the team as a regular. 6 SOG 2g 1a. Christian Fischer better watch his back. Then again, it sounds like he had a good night in Vegas.
I doubt that Fischer is going anywhere. You can't teach size and size is something we lack. Looking forward to when Bahl makes the jump to the big team. (pardon the pun)

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Just got back from GRA.

Crouse was an absolute monster. Pretty much won every board battle. Dude is ready. Hands down the best player for AZ.

Raanta was shaky. The last goal he let in he just looked exhausted. Wasn’t tracking the puck well at all. Which I totally get. Prosvetov on the other hand has great mechanics and quick reaction time. Loved his period of play.

Kessel is going to be a gamer. He makes something out of nothing. If he had better linemates I can almost guarantee he’s gonna put up points.

Stepan looked solid and engaged. Solid effort by him. Tracked down pucks and skated pretty hard today. His goal was a sick snipe as well.

Goose was in mid season crap form.

Grabner still has his speed. Outside of his one burst where he took off with the puck he didn’t do much, but that’s Grabner. Haha

Schmaltz was useless. The guy tried to force too many plays. His play away from the puck was worse. Maybe he needs his timing back more than everyone else but I felt like he was one of the weaker players on the ice.

Merkley had one solid hit after he got leveled. Otherwise useless. Wouldn’t shock me if he were one of the next few cut.

This was the best Hayton has looked in my opinion. He made smart, safe plays and was generally in position. He had one quick shot on net, never seen him use it before.

Bahl didn’t stand out at all really. Neither did Soderstrom but those guys didn’t have to. I didn’t see any panic out of them and they played smart and smooth.

Power play looked like hot garbage but that will happen when OEL and Keller aren’t in.

If you guys want more I’ll try to remember, those were the only ones I could think of right now.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Schmaltz always looks lazy and disinterested, so I'm not entirely surprised that he's floating around in preseason. Hell, he looked disinterested in his 17 games last season, yet was almost PPG. Perhaps he's just an opportunistic player.

Good to hear about Crouse. He was one of my favorite players last year and he looks even bigger coming into this season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Gross scores and Garland gets his second in LA..... 5-0 Coyotes.

Gross' goal was a shortie.
I don't put much stock in these early preseason games, but it's nice to see the kids pulling their weight in LA who iced a pretty veteran team. Good for them. Meanwhile, it looks like the vets who stayed here in Phoenix and were lucky enough to have their afternoon nap, were still asleep during the game. Much like the start of our season last year.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Boxscore makes it seem like Garland really wants to make the team as a regular. 6 SOG 2g 1a.

IIRC Garland had made last year's roster before getting hurt. I think he's a player who produces when he's got something to prove but falls off a cliff when he gets comfortable. Be interested to see how the roster looks later in camp when it's pared down to see how many slots are open and where he fits in.

Merkley had one solid hit after he got leveled. Otherwise useless. Wouldn’t shock me if he were one of the next few cut.

Based on the play call by Heeter, I wouldn't be surprised either. Heethuis basically pinned the first LA goal right on Merkley and he very rarely directly implicates players like that.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Not even nhl.com has any info about this alleged 4-1 game, except this made-up final "goal-score".

Obviously that game never happened.;)

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Just got back from GRA.

Crouse was an absolute monster. Pretty much won every board battle. Dude is ready. Hands down the best player for AZ.

Raanta was shaky. The last goal he let in he just looked exhausted. Wasn’t tracking the puck well at all. Which I totally get. Prosvetov on the other hand has great mechanics and quick reaction time. Loved his period of play.

Kessel is going to be a gamer. He makes something out of nothing. If he had better linemates I can almost guarantee he’s gonna put up points.

Stepan looked solid and engaged. Solid effort by him. Tracked down pucks and skated pretty hard today. His goal was a sick snipe as well.

Goose was in mid season crap form.

Grabner still has his speed. Outside of his one burst where he took off with the puck he didn’t do much, but that’s Grabner. Haha

Schmaltz was useless. The guy tried to force too many plays. His play away from the puck was worse. Maybe he needs his timing back more than everyone else but I felt like he was one of the weaker players on the ice.

This was the best Hayton has looked in my opinion. He made smart, safe plays and was generally in position. He had one quick shot on net, never seen him use it before.

Bahl didn’t stand out at all really. Neither did Soderstrom but those guys didn’t have to. I didn’t see any panic out of them and they played smart and smooth.

Power play looked like hot garbage but that will happen when OEL and Keller aren’t in.

If you guys want more I’ll try to remember, those were the only ones I could think of right now.

Yeah, the first game Kessel plays, and there isn't even a condensed condensation of it.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Yeah, the first game Kessel plays, and there isn't even a condensed condensation of it.

Kessel looked good. Won a few races to the corners. His assist to Stepan was a solid effort and a clean pass by him too.

There was one scoring attempt he had but his stick exploded on him, so he didn't get the shot off. There was also a rush where he knocked the puck off the defenders stick, passed it off the boards to himself and brought it in the offensive zone. Shot was blocked away but solid effort by Phil.

Defensively the guy could be better. But we all know this. He started the game off with Stepan and Hayton.

On the PP, Kessel started the first power play on the point with Goose. The next power play he was on the wing. Towards the end of the game, he was back on the point. The PP looked like it was in mid season form though. Too many passes, not enough shots. The best opportunity on the PP they had was when Goose smacked one off the post.

Reactions: Name Nameless

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't put much stock in these early preseason games, but it's nice to see the kids pulling their weight in LA who iced a pretty veteran team. Good for them. Meanwhile, it looks like the vets who stayed here in Phoenix and were lucky enough to have their afternoon nap, were still asleep during the game. Much like the start of our season last year.
The vets on both teams know its preseason coach:)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->