Post-Game Talk: PS1 - Bruins Bear dancing in Shenzhen and munching on spring rolls - BRUINS 4 Calgary 3 F SO

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
bs.JPG
bs1.JPG
bs2.JPG
bs3.JPG
bs4.JPG

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Jonathan17

Trollface!
Nov 19, 2005
Oakville
That's funny. Because at times last night. I bet he was thinking , "whats this" I thought I left Long Island.

He was stellar though. The best player on the ice by far and Tuukka also played great in the little bit of time he saw.

As for the the 3 kids I thought Frederic was by far the best last night, not just because he scored but he created chances was involved every time he hit the ice and he was very sound defensively. I think JFK was solid, you really never noticed him much but he picked up a pair of assist and Studnicka was just OK but playing with Marchy and Pasta can be awestruck-ing at times, I'm sure. As you could see the skill and his awareness. I expect a lot better showing for him next time out.

Nordstrom was a weapon on the PK. Positional sound and read the plays extremely well.

Donato was the Best Bruins forward in my mind. He seemed to have a jump in his step and has just a nasty release.

Defensively Carlo looked gassed most of the night (to be expected).
John Moore showed why you love him and why he scares you. He had some great plays retrieving the puck, break out passes, jumping up in the play ala his goal, but he also was over anxious at times chasing the puck in his own end and getting caught out of position and turning the puck over which lead to a Calgary odd man rush leading to a goal.

I agree with this. I think Nordstrom had a strong game, way better than Wagner. Wanted to give him some love ❤️

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Takes some adjusting to for sure. Once you do tho and realize those ‘extra inning games’ are over by 10 pm instead of 1am, you learn to appreciate it :)

Thx, hope so, it would also explain why my golf game needed 6 holes to look like I knew what I was doing:nod:

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
halak was great - he's a big upgrade on khudobin. i liked dobby and he seems like a hell of
a guy, but halak is a legit NHL starter. i wouldn't want him as my starter, but as a backup,
he could be best in the league if that role agrees with him. give him 30 games, and is
there a better tandem in the league?

donato and grizzy stood out to me as well. really nice pass by cehlarik on that moore
goal, but i'm just not a huge fan of the guy. he seems kinda slow and vanilla. i think
he's gonna end up elsewhere eventually.
Completely agree and that is really encouraging considering how great Khodbin played last year for this team.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Well as a rental his value would be fairly well established as a #1, a prospect, and a conditional pick.

Which is fine I think, Bruins need to get as many picks as possible to try to find their next Bergeron and Krejci. And they will need the cap $. But, I just think its probably too late to use Krug for help up front.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
I watched the game last night..Calgary commentators said that Calgary team could be the team that begins season while Bruins have only bout 1/2 their team, mostly guys trying to make team so to win that game was a nice start.

Halak had just one practice with team but was sensational. I can see him playing 30-35 games easy.

DeBrusk I thought looked great all night.

Really thought Moore looked good.

I think Bakos can easily play on our 4th line. I predict he'll see a few games this year, maybe 20.

JFK and Celerick I thought looked really good as well as Frederic.

Little disappointed in Studnicka as I expected more considering he was playing top line with Pasta and Marshy {both looked awesome}

Overall, pretty good showing against a stacked Calgary team.

Next game: Wed morning at 0730 est

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Next year he will be a rental, we will be disappointed in the return.

I really doubt that. The Bruins are set to contend for years to come. The only way they trade Krug at DL is n for a good return otherwise the keep him for their PO run.

The only teams that trade good players for disappointing returns are non contenders and teams managed by Chia.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I really doubt that. The Bruins are set to contend for years to come. The only way they trade Krug at DL is n for a good return otherwise the keep him for their PO run.

The only teams that trade good players for disappointing returns are non contenders and teams managed by Chia.

Not at the TDL, obviously, but at the draft.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Late with this, but I didn’t watch the game until Saturday afternoon (son had hockey in the AM) and had a busy Sunday.

General thoughts:

I am not an avid follower of the Flames, but it appeared to me they had most of their NHL crew. The B’s were missing a number of key regulars, so I was not surprised that they got out shot by a wide margin and outplayed at times. They were opportunistic, and capitalized on the chances they did get, which is important.

I thought the kids played well for the most part. You can see Studnicka’s skills, but to me he was third on the list today of the young centers. I liked that he went after Neal and showed some jam, but he might have been trying a little too hard (boarding penalty). Both Frederic and JFK appeared more “prepared” if that’s the right word for action against NHL regulars. The toe drags and nifty moves that worked against the other prospects will not work against seasoned NHL players.

JFK has a very efficient, quiet, “Krejci-like” game. He sees the ice well and appears to be very capable of a 3 zone game. I would say that his skating is better than Krejci’s when he came up. Frederic plays a simpler straight up and down style, but he’s not without skill and scoring touch. Maybe because he’s a big kid he didn’t appear phased by the NHL players at all. He skates well for his size, was good on the backcheck and had some good scoring opportunities. It should be a good battle for that 3C spot. Hopefully, one of the kids is worthy.

I thought the new NHL guys all played reasonable well. Wagner finished every check and had some jam. Nordstrom is a good skater and appears to be sound defensively, but they probably won’t get much offense out of him. I thought that John Moore was very good except for the one turnover that ended up leading to the 2nd goal. He has size, moves very well, was good on the PK and his offensive instincts were better than I anticipated. Bakos was not bad, but there was nothing there that screamed NHL player.

I have seen a lot of people raving about Grizz and Cehlarik. I thought both were good, but not great. Grizz looks like he did last year, moves the puck very well and his positioning is good defensively, but once again, he was doing it against 3rd line competition. I’m not sure he would look as good vs Top 6 matchups? Would love to see him on the 2nd pair in some preseason games at least. Cehlarik made a couple of very nice passes, but he’s not a good skater and he needs to improve his compete/board play and use his size to greater advantage. The vision on the pass to Moore was excellent, but Moore did a phenomenal job getting the shot off because the puck was bouncing when it landed. Easily could have been a nice idea, but a failed opportunity.

I like Cehlarik, but who is he going to displace in the lineup? He’s not better than Marchand, DeBrusk, Pasta, Heinen, or Donato (imo). Then you have Backes, who will not be sitting and Cehlarik’s game is not suited for 4th line duties. When Bjork is 100% the B’s obviously think highly of him. I’m not even taking into consideration a possible Nash return at some point, which would force players down in the lineup. I just see so many guys in front of him, and he doesn’t appear to have the versatility of a Heinen or Bjork to play 4th line if need be.

The refs were pretty bad, especially at the end. That roughing call on Backes was the epitome of soft and then a bench minor for complaining about it (which was totally warranted). It was pretty obvious that they wanted the Chinese crowd to see some 3v3 OT hockey. I thought the call on Marchand was pure reputation. Hathaway appeared to be trying to instigate the whole game and he initiated this exchange as well. Marchand got his stick up (which is a bad habit), but if you watch, it’s on Hathaways’s chest, who then pushes forward to try to get to 63 and the stick rides up under his chin. Marchand had no intention of high sticking him, just wanted to waive the stick at him.

Hopefully, we see an even better effort on Wednesday from all.

Reactions: Alicat

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Does Moore have a job automatically in this lineup because he has been such a great player over the years or can a kid like GRYZ who is probably better then him have a chance to win the spot ?

Like can it be MILLER/GRYZ as the 5-6 guys ?

I would hate to think that competition at camp and winning a job because you were simply the better player was not a factor for this team as it once was and should be, I would hate to think that no longer existed in this organization coming from the top with a questionable signing. I have seen John Moore. I know what he is.

I want to see GRYZ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad