GDT: PS game 6. Sharks begin their Vegas residency 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Kane would be much better served if he just focused on playing hockey instead of acting like the entire league is out to get him as part of some anti-african American campaign when there is literally a guy on the other team who plays an even more gritty game without any issues in Ryan Reaves

Wake up dude

I hate to say it, but I have to agree here. It may well be true that the league seems to target Kane more, but I haven't seen it. Kane is a rough customer with a hot head. He's not an innocent little princess unfairly attacked by the big bad league. Prior to the take down, he threw a vicious slash at engelland and likely hit that same linesman too. I looked again, and the linemans grabs engalland first, then switch the kane. He was clearly trying to separate both. Overzealous on Kane, yes, but he does actually grab engelland first despite the slash kane puts on.

Kane playing the victim is a bad look for him. He plays with an edge and goes overboard at times. He's not raffi torres level, but he's not an innocent victim either. He also needs to learn humility and taking responsibility. He remins me of my 7-year-old son. When there is a fight in which he and a friend both push, he always blames it all on the friend without taking any responsibility for his own actions. Kane needs to recognize that he can be mad at being targeting while taking responsibility for pushing an official (and likely slashing him prior to that even if accidentally).

Reactions: Sandisfan

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Kane will probably get suspended, but that was some bullshit, linesman totally overstepped his boundaries and got himself involved, super unprofessional

Reactions: LA Shark

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I hate to say it, but I have to agree here. It may well be true that the league seems to target Kane more, but I haven't seen it. Kane is a rough customer with a hot head. He's not an innocent little princess unfairly attacked by the big bad league. Prior to the take down, he threw a vicious slash at engelland and likely hit that same linesman too. I looked again, and the linemans grabs engalland first, then switch the kane. He was clearly trying to separate both. Overzealous on Kane, yes, but he does actually grab engelland first despite the slash kane puts on.

He grabs engelland first because engelland cross checks him before the slash, and actually should already be in the box because of the incident just prior, the issue is there was no reason to ever let go of engelland because he was the instigator the entire time. In this sense Kane is not wrong, he was in fact targeted by that particular linesmen at this point in time but its mostly because the actual officials were not doing their jobs.

Kane playing the victim is a bad look for him. He plays with an edge and goes overboard at times. He's not raffi torres level, but he's not an innocent victim either. He also needs to learn humility and taking responsibility. He remins me of my 7-year-old son. When there is a fight in which he and a friend both push, he always blames it all on the friend without taking any responsibility for his own actions. Kane needs to recognize that he can be mad at being targeting while taking responsibility for pushing an official (and likely slashing him prior to that even if accidentally).

agreed

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Can't it be both though? I think you are dismissing that race is not playing a part on it because Kane is a hot-head. I am not defending Kane here but just outright dismissing any racial bias because 'Kane is a hot-head' is unfair.

The biggest problem with Kane is that he is never the instigator. He is almost always the retaliator. That is the exact opposite of what Reaves does. He goads Kane and others and generally helps his team out that way. Kane on the other hand costs his team by taking dumb retaliatory penalties and for the Sharks it is absolutely a nightmare situation because we are a team starving for top-6 forwards. Him getting into fights and sitting on the bench while we are getting trashed on the ice is far from ideal.

I am also not going to defend Kane for shoving the ref. That was uncalled for. As was the tackle that the ref did. I am fine if Kane gets suspended here. But I want to see some kind of action from the league about how the official reacted too. I doubt we see much of the latter.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Can't it be both though? I think you are dismissing that race is not playing a part on it because Kane is a hot-head. I am not defending Kane here but just outright dismissing any racial bias because 'Kane is a hot-head' is unfair.

The biggest problem with Kane is that he is never the instigator. He is almost always the retaliator. That is the exact opposite of what Reaves does. He goads Kane and others and generally helps his team out that way. Kane on the other hand costs his team by taking dumb retaliatory penalties and for the Sharks it is absolutely a nightmare situation because we are a team starving for top-6 forwards. Him getting into fights and sitting on the bench while we are getting trashed on the ice is far from ideal.

I am also not going to defend Kane for shoving the ref. That was uncalled for. As was the tackle that the ref did. I am fine if Kane gets suspended here. But I want to see some kind of action from the league about how the official reacted too. I doubt we see much of the latter.
This is literally how the league officiates everyone. It's rarely the one instigating and rather the one who responds by retaliating. I guess you could argue Kane has a shorter leash than most but I'd say he rarely doesn't deserve a penalty after the fact (again, that's how the league officiates this stuff). It probably doesn't help that he's a pretty vocal player when it comes to complaining about this perceived injustice and I'm sure the refs probably do treat him a little differently in the same way people think the refs treat Vlasic differently because he runs his mouth at the officials too.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Maybe some people think he should be a bottom 6 grinder and are offended by a black guy playing the skill/scoring role?
I'm pretty sure there was similar backlash towards Black QBs in the NFL at one point.

Or maybe because he is a very talented scoring forward more is expected of him than the bottom 6 grinder type and when he goes down to their level it's more obvious.

There was a bigger gap in skill between Jarome Iginla and Evander Kane than there is between Kane and Reaves. And Iginla never had these kinds of issues with the officials.

Naki

Oct 8, 2009
There was a bigger gap in skill between Jarome Iginla and Evander Kane than there is between Kane and Reaves. And Iginla never had these kinds of issues with the officials.

I thought about that but Iginla didn't live in the social media age where his off ice behavior would be on display.
Also Iginla seemed to know where the line was and he rarely crossed it. That's what made him so frustrating to watch as he crushed the sharks year after year.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Friendly reminder to be very careful with accusations of racism. They almost certainly won't fly if applied to HF posters (as they fall under the banner of flaming unless a poster makes a statement that entirely explicitly acknowledges their own racism. And I mean explicit, not implied or subtextual or coded or anything like that.) and they're getting into very sticky territory when applied to public figures (as they can easily qualify as libel).

I know that situations like this can't have the entire discussion track quelled, but we have to tread carefully.

And as always, I don't care what happens on the main board. I care what happens here. We can be better, we should be better, and we will be better.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Officials are sheltered by the league/union and only thrown under the bus whenever the league has to issue a public apology for a call they made in favor of the Sharks. The league will not call out the officials actions here because it would be singling out a specific official and not able to be blamed on the entire crew (which would be breaking precedent for the league). Expecting 10 and hoping for 3. Sadly, given the insanity that is the NHL and everything that goes along with officiating, feel like there is a better chance at 20 than there is at 3.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I thought about that but Iginla didn't live in the social media age where his off ice behavior would be on display.
Also Iginla seemed to know where the line was and he rarely crossed it. That's what made him so frustrating to watch as he crushed the sharks year after year.

The difference is not in their off-ice behavior and the way that they conduct themselves on social media. It is as you surmise...Iginla knew the line, and he did not cross it. Kane, by comparison, crosses that line extremely often. And when he does, the game is often already out of hand.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Kane needs to take a page out of Marchand’s book. Be the agitator and not the aggressor and draw a call for a change. Kane is such a mentally weak player though so he’ll probably just keep whining. Btw, I think Kane and the linesman deserve a suspension. Knowing that Bettman is still trying to extract his pound of flesh from last season Kane will probably get 20 games.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
The difference is not in their off-ice behavior and the way that they conduct themselves on social media. It is as you surmise...Iginla knew the line, and he did not cross it. Kane, by comparison, crosses that line extremely often. And when he does, the game is often already out of hand.
Perfectly stated, this is exactly why Kane has issues and other players haven't in the past. There are other guys in the league (Seth Jones, Buf, ect) that don't have these issues who are more superstars than Kane.

There is a reason Vegas keys in on him every single game. It's because they know they can get a rise out of him and if they poke the bear enough the bear is going to explode. You do that enough, as Kane has done against Vegas, and the refs start coming to games expecting it and the leash gets shorter and shorter each time.

the onus is on Kane to play his game and tune out guys like Reaves ect. He has shown time and time again that he can't do that. Why the team hasn't addressed this yet (maybe they have and he doesn't listen) is beyond me. He is costing us. The team follows the lead and then guys like Goodrow start getting in scrums which just amps it up even more.

The team plays their best when they do what they did in 2016. They ignored all the BS after the whistle, they played their game, and they put teams away. No better revenge for bullshit after the whistle than to put up 5 goals on someone and make them take penalties.

Again, I say all of this as someone who was stoked we got him when we did and was very happy with his first season and a huge defender of his. I gave him the benefit of the doubt throughout last year until the playoffs and especially that Vegas series. This last game was the final straw. It's preseason and he can't keep his cool.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018

Yes, it can be both and I kinda said as much. He can be unfairly targeted, possibly because of race, while at the same time be responsible for his own actions. I would have liked to hear kane say everything he said and also include a bit like "Still, I gotta keep my head about myself and not push an official no matter how much he deserves it."

And, I'm sorry, but Kane is quite often the instigator. Not always, but often. Some guys, like reaves, marchand, and others are super effective pests who get under opposition skin. Kane is a major chirper. He's chirping all the time. Zykov is not a huge fighter (though not averse to it) and kane went after him twice. He gets into it with opposing players all the time and is frequently the one who starts it with his physical play.

I feel similarly to your last paragraph. He should get 3 games. Cant shove an official. no matter what. However, 10 would be inappropriate because of the overzealous official.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Fair or unfair, the retaliator is almost always going to take the blame rather than the instigator, chiefly because the retaliator tends to escalate. Players like Reaves toe the line, and then goad Kane into leaping over the line. I think we’re all old enough here (unless we have some awfully verbose and eloquent 7 year olds on the forum) to know that “he started it!!” doesn’t fly in any walk of life. It’s like if your friend gave you a playful shove and you respond by knocking them out and then claim that it’s actually their fault for starting it.

I understand that it’s difficult to be restrained sometimes, I really do. I’m a bit of a hot-head even in my workplace and I don’t have a workplace that encourages people to hit each other for public entertainment. But Kane needs to know better. He’s not 21 years old. He’s paid way too much to be a liability against our biggest rival, who happens to be the team that we will be playing in the first round of the playoffs for the near future. We count on him to score goals, not to sit in the penalty box.

Edit: Let me add one more thing. I do think the refs are biased against Kane. I also think that Kane has earned every piece of that bias from his actions.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Kane needs to take a page out of Marchand’s book. Be the agitator and not the aggressor and draw a call for a change. Kane is such a mentally weak player though so he’ll probably just keep whining. Btw, I think Kane and the linesman deserve a suspension. Knowing that Bettman is still trying to extract his pound of flesh from last season Kane will probably get 20 games.

The bolded is exactly what he needs to do. You can still be a physical player and NOT an agitator. Which is what Kane currently is. He reminds me of Lucic in that way where he seems very easy to get retaliatory penalties from. Which would be fine for us if he was a 4th liner like Reaves.

Unfortunately, being off the ice with the role he plays and salary he demands is not good for the Sharks.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Perfectly stated, this is exactly why Kane has issues and other players haven't in the past. There are other guys in the league (Seth Jones, Buf, ect) that don't have these issues who are more superstars than Kane.

There is a reason Vegas keys in on him every single game. It's because they know they can get a rise out of him and if they poke the bear enough the bear is going to explode. You do that enough, as Kane has done against Vegas, and the refs start coming to games expecting it and the leash gets shorter and shorter each time.

the onus is on Kane to play his game and tune out guys like Reaves ect. He has shown time and time again that he can't do that. Why the team hasn't addressed this yet (maybe they have and he doesn't listen) is beyond me. He is costing us. The team follows the lead and then guys like Goodrow start getting in scrums which just amps it up even more.

The team plays their best when they do what they did in 2016. They ignored all the BS after the whistle, they played their game, and they put teams away. No better revenge for bull**** after the whistle than to put up 5 goals on someone and make them take penalties.

Again, I say all of this as someone who was stoked we got him when we did and was very happy with his first season and a huge defender of his. I gave him the benefit of the doubt throughout last year until the playoffs and especially that Vegas series. This last game was the final straw. It's preseason and he can't keep his cool.

Yep. Win the game. Gooning it up and getting yourself suspended does not help. Kane is counted to be amongst the top 4 goal scorers alongside meier, hertl, and cooch. Being in the box (penalty or press) does not help this. Kane needs to focus on hockey, and he needs to stop blaming everyone else for his mistakes. He is a good player, so of course he is targeted by the opposition and if they know they can get under his skin, it's an obvious play. Any team would trade Reaves or Engelland in the box for kane in there too.

PDB has a tough assignment with kane. He loves the physical play, but he's gotta keep him on the right side of the line, or Kane's season will spiral...

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Fair or unfair, the retaliator is almost always going to take the blame rather than the instigator, chiefly because the retaliator tends to escalate. Players like Reaves toe the line, and then goad Kane into leaping over the line. I think we’re all old enough here (unless we have some awfully verbose and eloquent 7 year olds on the forum) to know that “he started it!!” doesn’t fly in any walk of life. It’s like if your friend gave you a playful shove and you respond by knocking them out and then claim that it’s actually their fault for starting it.

I understand that it’s difficult to be restrained sometimes, I really do. I’m a bit of a hot-head even in my workplace and I don’t have a workplace that encourages people to hit each other for public entertainment. But Kane needs to know better. He’s not 21 years old. He’s paid way too much to be a liability against our biggest rival, who happens to be the team that we will be playing in the first round of the playoffs for the near future. We count on him to score goals, not to sit in the penalty box.

Edit: Let me add one more thing. I do think the refs are biased against Kane. I also think that Kane has earned every piece of that bias from his actions.

Yep. He has a reputation already which has led to the bias. And games like last night make it even worse for him.

Like you said, he is being paid to score goals and be a physical winger. He cannot do that from the penalty box.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Yep. He has a reputation already which has led to the bias. And games like last night make it even worse for him.

Like you said, he is being paid to score goals and be a physical winger. He cannot do that from the penalty box.
Games like last night are the reasons he acts like that though, hes stuck in a circle and he needs to just play the game and ignore everyone, players do get away with a lot with him, and he retaliates just as much. The way he caries himself on and off the ice draw so much attention because its completely different than most other players.

Jumbo needs to sit him down and tell him to ignore everything and that there are other people to handle that. Jumbo used to get hooked, held and slashed every single shift in his prime but he played through it 99% of the time and trolled back when he could. Kane needs to learn to take the cleaner way forward, punish the other team with goals and clean hits.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
Yep. Win the game. Gooning it up and getting yourself suspended does not help. Kane is counted to be amongst the top 4 goal scorers alongside meier, hertl, and cooch. Being in the box (penalty or press) does not help this. Kane needs to focus on hockey, and he needs to stop blaming everyone else for his mistakes. He is a good player, so of course he is targeted by the opposition and if they know they can get under his skin, it's an obvious play. Any team would trade Reaves or Engelland in the box for kane in there too.

PDB has a tough assignment with kane. He loves the physical play, but he's gotta keep him on the right side of the line, or Kane's season will spiral...

Honestly don't think you'll ever see Kane change that unfortunately. Just who he is as a player. Reaves has played him like a fiddle.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
To make it worse, this is gonna make Kane a repeat offender. If he does something questionable in the playoffs he's gonna get 2-3 games where others might get 0-1 or 4-5 where others might get 2-3. Sharks send someone to talk to Merkley after games. Can they talk to Kane and send him to some anger management courses?

Karlsson and Thornton got suspended last year for hits on a player. Kane's gonna get suspended for something not even involving a player but an official and in preseason to boot. Meanwhile no opposing player has gotten suspended against the Sharks in years. It's comical.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Sharks should not have even played Kane in this game knowing how he plays vs Vegas. Also I think this scheduling is rediculous. Have these two teams who despise eachother play twice in the pre-season including the final pre-season game and then have them open up the season with a home and home. The League is just asking for stuff like this to happen.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
Sharks should not have even played Kane in this game knowing how he plays vs Vegas. Also I think this scheduling is rediculous. Have these two teams who despise eachother play twice in the pre-season including the final pre-season game and then have them open up the season with a home and home. The League is just asking for stuff like this to happen.

Feel like DeBoer takes part of the blame here for continuing to run him out there despite very obvious signs Kane was running around stirring the pot.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The linesman clearly pulls Kane in closer then extends both arms out forcefully. All this while Kane is standing not going at anyone or even putting up any fight. It was total abuse of power by that official. As much as common sense should prevail, the league will still spinelessly lay all the blame on Kane's reaction.

Reactions: weastern bias
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad