GDT: PS Game 3: Colorado Avalanche @ Minnesota Wild | 4:00pm MT

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
giphy.gif

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
For a guy who didn't play a single game of hockey for 18 months, it is absolutely astonishing how good he is against NHL talent.

If this is him with "rust" whats he gonna be when he's got his conditioning and timing back?
Glad to see him not skip a beat. Joulevi is in the same boat, injuries have hindered him. Many nuck fans think because he missed about q year, that made him a bust. I don't see it that way and Timmins is proving that

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
He was our third best forward. Better than Nichushkin, Burakovsky, Greer and Bowers (who was good, though).
I thought Kam had a good first. He almost had a goal/assist. He went downhill as the game went on. Losing the puck at the blueline with about 30 seconds left was awful.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I thought Kam had a good first. He almost had a goal/assist. He went downhill as the game went on. Losing the puck at the blueline with about 30 seconds left was awful.
This stuff happens and he reacted quickly and well. His quick recovery saved the situation for me. I thought he made good plays throughout the game and shined whenever he had proper linemates or Timmins on the ice with him.
I don't want to see him in our top 6, though. He's a defensive forward imo.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Just finished watching it:

• If I went into this without knowing who was who, I'd assume Bura was one of the fringe prospects a la Ty Lewis. I will say one thing - he is very good at carrying the puck into the zone. As long as he doesn't have to do literally anything else he may be useful. God I hope he improves.
  • Speaking of which, Kamenev looked very rusty, even nervous. I'm more hopeful than most though because I remember last season his first few games were just like this, and then he started to play well. I've witnessed Kamenev playing well in actual NHL games, so I'm hoping with a few more preseason games he can improve.
  • Greer looked okay, but not like an NHLer
  • Nichuskin on the other hand was noticeable and looked like a solid bottom 6 NHLer to me (he's looked that way in every game IMO). I just wish he'd actually hit guys. He passed up at least two good opportunities to do so that I noticed.
  • Kaut is going to be good. He seems actually quite slow, but he's one of those guys who can slow the whole game down to his pace when he has the puck. I think he still needs to work on his shot and overall game, but I could see him being NHL ready by next season or even later this season.
  • Francouz looked shaky. I hope he's better than this once the regular season rolls around
  • Why the f*** is Graves not on the powerplay? He's the only defenseman whose shot is a genuine weapon. One of the units should have been built around feeding him the puck for bombs. Instead we get Mark Alt failing to achieve anything.
  • Timmins... looks... :popcorn:
  • Compher looked like what he is - a middle 6 NHLer
  • I don't think any of the D other than Timmins made a big step towards claiming an NHL roster spot. Graves and Connauton both had their moments though.
  • Everyone else belongs in the AHL.
As for the Wild...
  • Marcus Foligno really is a garbage human being. First he tackles Renouf and stars wailing on him for making a clean hit. I could understand wanting to fight Renouf, but not giving him a chance to fight back is a chickenshit move. As was crosschecking Timmins in the ribs for the sin of walking him and scoring. Players like Foligno make it really easy to hate the Wild, and I'd be ashamed to have a guy like that on our team.
  • Seeler's not much better. I don't know when it became acceptable in the NHL to start punching guys who haven't dropped their gloves, but anyone who does it is a piece of shit. It certainly doesn't help that the refs treat getting punched in the face the same as throwing punches. Kaut has a fighting major without ever actually fighting thanks to those idiot refs.
  • Zucc looked great as always. It's a shame we didn't sign him, but he's not going to look so great at some point during his current 5 year deal.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
He was our third best forward. Better than Nichushkin, Burakovsky, Greer and Bowers (who was good, though).
I was mostly trying to make a joke but overall Kam has not done anything to lock down a roster spot. I don’t see the urgency in his play.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

• If I went into this without knowing who was who, I'd assume Bura was one of the fringe prospects a la Ty Lewis. I will say one thing - he is very good at carrying the puck into the zone. As long as he doesn't have to do literally anything else he may be useful. God I hope he improves.
  • Speaking of which, Kamenev looked very rusty, even nervous. I'm more hopeful than most though because I remember last season his first few games were just like this, and then he started to play well. I've witnessed Kamenev playing well in actual NHL games, so I'm hoping with a few more preseason games he can improve.
  • Nichuskin on the other hand was noticeable and looked like a solid bottom 6 NHLer to me (he's looked that way in every game IMO). I just wish he'd actually hit guys. He passed up at least two good opportunities to do so that I noticed.
  • Kaut is going to be good. He seems actually quite slow, but he's one of those guys who can slow the whole game down to his pace when he has the puck. I think he still needs to work on his shot and overall game, but I could see him being NHL ready by next season or even later this season.
  • Francouz looked shaky. I hope he's better than this once the regular season rolls around
  • Why the **** is Graves not on the powerplay? He's the only defenseman whose shot is a genuine weapon. One of the units should have been built around feeding him the puck for bombs. Instead we get Mark Alt failing to achieve anything.
  • I don't think any of the D other than Timmins made a big step towards claiming an NHL roster spot. Graves and Connauton both had their moments though.
As for the Wild...
  • Marcus Foligno really is a garbage human being. First he tackles Renouf and stars wailing on him for making a clean hit. I could understand wanting to fight Renouf, but not giving him a chance to fight back is a chicken**** move. As was crosschecking Timmins in the ribs for the sin of walking him and scoring. Players like Foligno make it really easy to hate the Wild, and I'd be ashamed to have a guy like that on our team.
  • Seeler's not much better. I don't know when it became acceptable in the NHL to start punching guys who haven't dropped their gloves, but anyone who does it is a piece of ****. It certainly doesn't help that the refs treat getting punched in the face the same as throwing punches. Kaut has a fighting major without ever actually fighting thanks to those idiot refs.
  • Zucc looked great as always. It's a shame we didn't sign him, but he's not going to look so great at some point during his current 5 year deal.
Thank you for pretty much summarizing my thoughts.

Reactions: MarkT

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017

• Why the **** is Graves not on the powerplay? He's the only defenseman whose shot is a genuine weapon. One of the units should have been built around feeding him the puck for bombs. Instead we get Mark Alt failing to achieve anything.
As for the Wild...
  • Marcus Foligno really is a garbage human being. First he tackles Renouf and stars wailing on him for making a clean hit. I could understand wanting to fight Renouf, but not giving him a chance to fight back is a chicken**** move. As was crosschecking Timmins in the ribs for the sin of walking him and scoring. Players like Foligno make it really easy to hate the Wild, and I'd be ashamed to have a guy like that on our team.
  • Seeler's not much better. I don't know when it became acceptable in the NHL to start punching guys who haven't dropped their gloves, but anyone who does it is a piece of ****. It certainly doesn't help that the refs treat getting punched in the face the same as throwing punches. Kaut has a fighting major without ever actually fighting thanks to those idiot refs.

Very good summary. I totally agree with you on the fighting and nature of fecal matter that Foligno and Seeler are. I don't think I remember the last time I watched 2 cheapshot "fights" like that in a single game where you have one guy just tackle another and start punching without squaring up and offering the fight. No one on the wild was even remotely hurt. The NHL should not allow this.... I don't care if it was a preseason game. I would be embarrassed if I were a fan of the mild.

Reactions: MarkT

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Very good summary. I totally agree with you on the fighting and nature of fecal matter that Foligno and Seeler are. I don't think I remember the last time I watched 2 cheapshot "fights" like that in a single game where you have one guy just tackle another and start punching without squaring up and offering the fight. No one on the wild was even remotely hurt. The NHL should not allow this.... I don't care if it was a preseason game. I would be embarrassed if I were a fan of the mild.
I think it’s up to the Avs to offer a deterrent to teams trying that shit. Team thoughness is a bit of an issue IMHO.

But yeah, Wild can only resort to goonery.

Reactions: wayninja

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I think it’s up to the Avs to offer a deterrent to teams trying that ****. Team thoughness is a bit of an issue IMHO.

But yeah, Wild can only resort to goonery.

I'd prefer the league didn't need to go back to the days when the players had to entirely police themselves. The league really needs to step in and address this. I remember last year when Marchand sucker-punched Eller and got away with it. There needs to be major penalties and suspensions for players who take off their gloves and punch a guy who isn't prepared for it and/or doesn't want to fight.

The reason is, sure the Avs could bring in a guy who could sucker punch Seeler and Foligno right back, but that player likely wouldn't help the Avs win. All it would do is possibly prevent guys like that from injuring our skill players. And it might just escalate things rather than preventing them. The Avs shouldn't have to hurt their own chances at winning to prevent guys from sucker punching our players - the league should be stepping in the prevent it.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
I guess if it brings back Cody Mcleod, I'm in!

Nah, I kid, I don't miss the enforcer days.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Broadcast - Please don't make me have to listen to Ryan Carter ever again. What an absolute moron. Kept complaining about Renouf’s hit on Dumba, which was perfectly clean, and kept insinuating that he’d have to answer the bell again for it.

Foligno - What a POS. Jumps Renauf for a clean hit and then throws a fit because Timmins faked him out, so he cross checks him after his goal. Seriously, how are old are you now and you’re reacting like a 15 year old amped up on caffeine? Grow the eff up, it’s just pre-season.

Kamenev - Looked ok early but boy did he dog that back check on the WIld’s 3rd goal. He had been out there for about 45 second but it wasn’t that tiring of a shift. He acted like he had no legs left at all but he definitely should have. That’s got to hurt his chances at making the team to start the season.

Greer - Thought he played better in this game. Hung around the net a lot more which is what he has to do. His battle in front of the net had a lot to do with the Avs second goal at the end of the second period. Clutch shift for that line.

Bowers - Still worrying me about his puck skills with a couple more misfires on shots. Showed nice patience though to find the open man in the slot with Dubnyk out of position on the Avs first goal, instead of just trying to fire it on net. Skated well and solid defensively too.

Nichuskin - Thought he had another decent game, though he’s still a bit of a one trick pony that doesn’t show up often enough. Liked his one touch pass from below the goal line to Kaut in the slot on the PP, even though it didn’t end up in the back of the net.

Francouz - Thought he looked solid in this one. Didn’t close the wickets quick enough on Staal’s tricky five hole shot though. I think he was expecting a pass there.

Timmins - Great game from him especially in the 3rd where he was really trying to get the Avs back in the game. Solid defensively as usual. Let a couple bombs go from the point. Made a beautiful cross ice pass off the rush in the third period that almost ended in a goal. Gorgeous pump fake on Foligno before he danced around him and wired one short side. Legit NHL caliber play there. Gonna be interesting to see what they do with him if he keeps playing this well.

Last edited:
Reactions: wayninja

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
I'm sure that Burakovsky will have a monster night tonight because he wants to show that he belongs in the top six.
0+0 -2
Great signing.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Nichuskin - Thought he had another decent game, though he’s still a bit of a one trick pony that doesn’t show up often enough. Liked his one touch pass from below the goal line to Kaut in the slot on the PP, even though it didn’t end up in the back of the net.
I'm glad you brought up this play because I was forgetting about it. I was really happy to see that play last night because IMO that's the real Kaut. He will never be a line driver but put him with skilled players where he can dig the puck out on the boards and go to the dirty areas and he will be very successful with a bit more seasoning. I see him as a poor Landy on the 2nd or 3rd line doing the dirty work and taking care of the defensive side. Again with a bit more seasoning he could become very important to us to fill in for Landy on the top line when he is out with injuries.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad