GDT: PS Game 1: Vegas Golden Knights vs Colorado Avalanche | 17/9 | 19:00 MT

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Timmins has shown good consistency thus far, and yesterday looked like an NHL defenseman. Byram looked like crap but it's one game, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, things looks bright, until you realize we have Nichushkin or Burakovsky as a top line RW.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That's a bit of a glass-half-empty view. The picture is actually quite promising:

First of all, the roster has all the most important, and hardest-to-acquire, pieces already:
  • a great 1st line (Landeskog/Mackinnon/Rantanen
  • 2C (Kadri)
  • good Top 4 D (including a combination of Makar/Girard, Johnson/Byram, Zadorov/Timmins)
  • A solid, if somewhat unproven, goalie
Secondly, Colorado is a desired destination for free agents again, and so the secondary roles can be filled in free agency. We saw that with Donskoi, who in a recent interview said that Colorado was the first choice as an UFA. Though he eventually chose the Rangers, we were also in on Panarin all the way to the the (at least according to Sakic).

Thirdly, given the above two points, the team will be in a position to consolidate it's assets in package deals, which can help mitigate the fact that some prospects might not be "A" prospects. For example, packaging Jost + B prospect + pick is a legitimate possibility to acquire a good player, without losing too much off the roster. Point being, the depth is the system is there to package assets.

Perhaps the biggest challenge now is to be able to consistently develop players that can fill roles in the bottom 6 as ELC's to reduce the need of filling those roles with expensive free agents like Calvert ($2.85m), Bellemare ($1.8m), Wilson ($2.6m), and Nieto ($1.975m). If those bottom 6 roles could instead be filled by Bowers/Kamenev/Kaut/Kovalenko/O'Connor on ELC's going forward the team would have way more wiggle room to add talent to the top end of the roster, in trades or free agency.
The Avs are set, I'm not arguing that,(if or when Rantanen is signed) they could maybe use a high end wing prospect to go along with Newhook, but it's just a small problem to have.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'm not ready to say that ends Byram's hopes of making the team. He wasn't good but it's only the first game.

Hopefully he looks better going forward. Sounds like he's going to get a bunch of preseason games and probably at least a few regular season games. I don't like the idea of sending him back to junior but if he's not ready he's not ready. f*** these CHL/AHL rules.

All it takes is a good game tomorrow and we're not talking about yesterday.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Everyone was hyping Byram as the rookie making the team out of TC, but it's looking like it will be Timmins instead.

Bednar wasn't exactly glowing in his praise of Timmins either. He often downplays things publicly and did give Timmins props for improving as the game went along but it certainly wasn't over the top praise.

I don't know about others but I had no expectations for Rosen and wasn't putting him in my mock lineups but he could actually be the one who gets in there opening night.

Hopefully he looks better going forward. Sounds like he's going to get a bunch of preseason games and probably at least a few regular season games. I don't like the idea of sending him back to junior but if he's not ready he's not ready. **** these CHL/AHL rules.

All it takes is a good game tomorrow and we're not talking about yesterday.

Yeah, this was all new for him last night. It wasn't a ton of NHL'ers on the other side but it's still much different than rookie camp. He'll get his opportunities and will likely improve.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Everyone was hyping Byram as the rookie making the team out of TC, but it's looking like it will be Timmins instead.
Timmins looked way more ready that's for sure. I've always been ok with letting Byram marinate somewhere hopefully Europe. The last thing I want us to do is rush Bowen when we have other players who are more ready.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I've been on it since his draft year. I am so happy for him that he seems to be back to normal. I am really rooting for him. I still would like him to improve his skating a bit more though especially his first few steps to help him get more separation and get to pucks a little quicker.

Tons of people have been on the Timmins bandwagon for years now. It's not empty it's packed in here. :laugh:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Some (not alluding to anyone in particular) believed pretty strongly Timmins had an ambulance, not a bandwagon...

That's true, but I don't necessarily blame anyone for thinking that. I think that was just Hishon PTSD. I would imagine it was mostly hyperbolic talk anyway.

Anyone that watched Timmins in junior and the WJC though could see he was a very solid bet to be a top 4 NHL D, and was the Avs best chance at replacing EJ's all situations work horse role.

He just makes the right play all the time and doesn't have any weaknesses. His puck skills, passing, and shot are pretty underrated too, which allows him to have not just top 4 potential, but top pairing potential.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
That's true, but I don't necessarily blame anyone for thinking that. I think that was just Hishon PTSD. I would imagine it was mostly hyperbolic talk anyway.

Anyone that watched Timmins in junior and the WJC though could see he was a very solid bet to be a top 4 NHL D, and was the Avs best chance at replacing EJ's all situations work horse role.

He just makes the right play all the time and doesn't have any weaknesses. His puck skills, passing, and shot are pretty underrated too, which allows him to have not just top 4 potential, but top pairing potential.

I remember watching a Tournament were both Makar and Timmins were playing together. Even they back then said that Timmins was a better player, especially in overall D zone coverage.

Reactions: flyfysher

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I really enjoy your analysis. Please keep it up! I look forward to it more than the game itself lol
Am I that much of a joke to you? :sarcasm:

I would say they are Not gonna have another game.. too many F and especially D, who also needs games and are really fighting for the spot.

People have really waited for the season, based on the messages and conclusions of the game :)
And that is good of course.
What comes all the ”Byram” messages.
He wont play in the NHL for this season.
They are going to wait another year with him, so no need to suffer any stress of him or how does he play :)
Maybe I won't, but I as of now I would be surprised if they sent him down before giving him a nine game trial run just like they gave Rantanen.

Lol just saw Jareds post game. Savage of a man lol.
I think he's just an honest bloke, he says as he sees it except when you have idiots like Chambers trying to manufacture drama as much as the NBA does.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I remember watching a Tournament were both Makar and Timmins were playing together. Even they back then said that Timmins was a better player, especially in overall D zone coverage.

Yeah that was the 2018 WJC. Some thought Timmins was the best player in that tournament but personally I thought Makar took it. He was leading all of Team Canada in scoring with like a game or two to go in the tourney, playing as a 6th defenseman. Timmins was given a bigger role, and played his usual outstanding all around game.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Yeah that was the 2018 WJC. Some thought Timmins was the best player in that tournament but personally I thought Makar took it. He was leading all of Team Canada in scoring with like a game or two to go in the tourney, playing as a 6th defenseman. Timmins was given a bigger role, and played his usual outstanding all around game.
What Makar did with the little icetime he had was outstanding. I'm one of those who think Timmins was Canada's best D and maybe best D overall in that tournament, though. He even beat Dahlin imo. Makar on the other hand showed some minor defensive weaknesses (compared to Timmins - generally speaking Makar was still good defensively) which he doesn't have anymore.
Edit: Kaut was awesome in that tournament as well by the way.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
What Makar did with the little icetime he had was outstanding. I'm one of those who think Timmins was Canada's best D and maybe best D overall in that tournament, though. He even beat Dahlin imo. Makar on the other hand showed some minor defensive weaknesses (compared to Timmins - generally speaking Makar was still good defensively) which he doesn't have anymore.
Edit: Kaut was awesome in that tournament as well by the way.

Yeah, could be a realistic scenario to see all three in lineup this season. Makar, Timmins and Kaut.

dahh, Makar is already in no matter what.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad