GDT: PS Game 1: Vegas Golden Knights vs Colorado Avalanche | 17/9 | 19:00 MT

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Or Travis Dermott. Or freaking Sebastian Aho. They passed on a superstar, a good top four D, and a youngster with good top four D potential with that little trade down, even though it looked smart at the time.

Yea, but for like 99% of picks you can look at the draft 5 years later and find better players taken after them.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Greer sucks man. I really wanted him to make it, but if tonight was any indication of where he is now, the AHL is where he top out.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Bednar isn't exactly holding back. Agreed about the slow start for Timmins with a really bad turnover and some sloppy play but he got much better as the game went on. However, I think Byram got worse as the game went on.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think the biggest problem tonight was you had a ton of players playing above their talent level and that was tough to see. I wanted to see some improvement from Jost (more catalyst) in looking like a top 6 player and he didn't deliver, but lets see him with more talent surrounding him.

Yeah while I was hoping to see more from Jost tonight, I wasn't expecting him to look any better playing with Greer and Kaut, than he did playing with Bourque and Calvert.

He's not a guy that can make it happen all by himself. He needs support in the O zone, especially down low so he can create a cycle. Kaut stays on the perimeter too much and for whatever reason Greer doesn't seem to have the same hands in the NHL as he's shown at other levels.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
- I want to see Werner get another start, do not agree with the lot that said he played bad. You had Byram putting the puck in the net on one goal and a brilliant shot by solid goalscorer Pirri on the other.

I thought he looked ok at times but both shots were stoppable IMO.

I think an NHL caliber goalie shuts the five hole quick enough on Byram's own goal, and Pirri's shot came from the faceoff dot and went in shortside off the post. Anytime the latter happens that's not a great goal. He was also swimming on the ice for a couple plays.

I'm ok with giving him another look though. The Avs need to know what they have in their goalie prospects.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
The overreactions and final conclusions being made from one preseason game in this thread are remarkable, no rust being shown in this forum.

Greer and Kamenev seemed disengaged, they need to show more in the coming games.

My favorite players tonight were Timmins, Tynan and Megna. I thought Beaucage looked good considering his age and where he was drafted. He definitely has some skill and hockey sense. Byram had flashes.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Not sure what people are seeing in Kaut, he has very long way to go before he should get a NHL shot.

I have strong feeling that is going to be one of those very bad swings and misses by Sakic. He was sitting fastball, and he got the curve.

Timmins had a decent night. About as good as you could ask for considering he missed all of last season.

Byram, not great. But I'd like to see him get a go with better supporting cast. Tonight's lineup was hot garbage.

Greer was bad, enjoy the AHL. Can't believe some people in here still think he has top 6 skill. Not good when you are trying to show you deserve a chance to lay an egg like this.

Kamenev was very meh. See Greer. Not good if you want to make the team.

Other than that Jost was Jost. I reserve judgement until I see him with Kadri and Donskoi.

Everyone else enjoy your one game, because you won't be anywhere near a NHL roster anytime soon.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jost had a bad game because he was at C. He just shouldn't be there at the NHL level. He will look much better as a complementary LW.

He played his best hockey when he was put back at center after being called up from the Eagles.

He may have to find a way to play better on the wing with Kadri on the team now, but I think he's a lot more comfortable at center.

Reactions: cgf

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I love these pre-season reaction threads. Eric f***ing Condra was our most tenured player out there, followed by Barberio. Oh no, Jost didn't light it up with an AHL squad in the very first pre-season game! Like...f***...give it a rest.

'Member when we went undefeated in pre-season that one year and followed it up with 48 whole points? I 'member.

Last edited:

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Really impressed with Timmins. If he keeps this up, he’s gonna make the squad. Brilliant passing under high pressure. His IQ really shined as the game went on. Played better than Byram tonight.

Not gonna give an opinion on Bo yet. Looked like nerves and I wanna see him with better players. He was a mess on that 5 on 3. Yikes

That guy McDonald or whatever was a friggin mess. Greer was a disaster and he REALLY needed a good showing..think this guy is done after the year.

Last edited:

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
- I'll be quite disappointed if Meloche and Henry get sent down before playing another preseason game. I thought they played well enough to warrant another game even though they won't make the final roster.

- Timmins was great, which is obviously a fantastic sign to see.

- Everyone else was disappointing, but I gotta say that some of the NHL/AHL tweeners were the most - Megna, Condra, Dries, etc. Was expecting a bit more skill from them.

- Barberio was a good warrior for us during the darks ages, but he's so irrelevant nowadays. Byram playing his first game in the NHL was better and that's sad because Bo was quite terrible lol.

- Some good moments from Mutala and Burzan, definitely do not belong anywhere near this level yet, but there were some good flashes from them.

- I hope whoever is #34 gets cut tonight, he was easily the worst Av on a team who played absolutely terrible.

- Kaut has improved, but you can tell that he isn't ready yet. Don't think he should see a game this season in the NHL, but my opinion might change if he's slotted into a more productive role than on the 1st line.

- I'm on repeat by saying I am a Greer fan, but holy smokes that was a brutal game by a player who needed a good training camp and preseason. He might still make the NHL, but it seems that his top 6 potential is longggggggg gone. Think about if we didn't trade back we would have Carlo.

- Not that Kamenev was even better than Greer either, got muscled about half of his 50/50 puck battles. His defensive game was impressive though.

- I want to see Werner get another start, do not agree with the lot that said he played bad. You had Byram putting the puck in the net on one goal and a brilliant shot by solid goalscorer Pirri on the other.

I think that covers the rest.

I really enjoy your analysis. Please keep it up! I look forward to it more than the game itself lol

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Good thing Avs core players are young because other than Newhook, they dont really have a high end talent up front in the system, and on D it's pretty much Timmins and Byram, but like I said, good thing both d core and forward core are very young.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Good thing Avs core players are young because other than Newhook, they dont really have a high end talent up front and on D it's pretty much Timmins and Byram, but like I said, good thing both d core and forward core are very young.

That's what happens when guys graduate into the system and (like you said) your team is young. Last year we had the best drafted prospect in hockey; now he's on the team.

Having Makar (yes, he's still a prospect technically), Byram, Newhook, Timmins, and Kaut as your top prospects isn't bad by any means.

Reactions: flyfysher

Youngblood29

Jul 3, 2018
- I'll be quite disappointed if Meloche and Henry get sent down before playing another preseason game. I thought they played well enough to warrant another game even though they won't make the final roster.

I think that covers the rest.

I would say they are Not gonna have another game.. too many F and especially D, who also needs games and are really fighting for the spot.

People have really waited for the season, based on the messages and conclusions of the game :)
And that is good of course.
What comes all the ”Byram” messages.
He wont play in the NHL for this season.
They are going to wait another year with him, so no need to suffer any stress of him or how does he play :)

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Don't know why the Avs insist on drafting so many unskilled plugs every year. It was painful to watch.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
You can chalk up his play to nerves and that's understandable but physically Byram does not look ready to play an 82 game season in the NHL. I think he'll be back in junior for the year.

Reactions: missionAvs

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Is there a reason why didn't Bowers play?

Thanks to those posters here providing a few insights, interesting to read. Glad to hear that Timmins is looking good.

Just speculation but they need to play a certain amount of NHLers.

Reactions: Richard88

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Byram has plenty to learn in the Dub. I see no reason to rush him to the NHL.
I don't agree. He's to good for that league, he made it his bitch last year.

Perfect example of why the AHL rules are stupid. This player won't learn much in the WHL, but isn't quite ready for full time NHL duty. He's learn much more playing a pro style in the AHL.

Unfortunately I do think he'll end up back in the WHL. Not much else we can do.

Also I want to see him with some better players before I reserve judgement. The best players out there last night were Jost and Timmins. And let's be real that's not much of a supporting cast.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Watching the game right now and although I'm not even through the 2nd period I need to post this now:

f*** YEAH, CONOR TIMMINS!!!

Edit: Also Kamenev and Greer. Very good through the first two periods.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad