Post-Game Talk: PS 8 - Move Along, Nothing To See Here - Flyers 4 BRUINS 1 F

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What is that? Something from Sigmund and the Sea Monsters?

3240.jpg

Gritty: why the Philadelphia Flyers' new acid trip of a mascot must be stopped

Philadelphia is home to the undisputed king of professional sports mascots: the Phillie Phanatic. No less esteemed a source than Wikipedia reveals he is “widely acknowledged as one of the best ballpark mascots” and “arguably the most recognizable mascot in all of North American sports”.

You can imagine the horror, then, when he got a new sibling this week: Gritty, the Philadelphia Flyers’ new mascot, is a horrifying bearded man-Muppet hybrid whose eyes are permanently rolling in their sockets, presumably from years of drug use. He is a nightmarish frat boy who communicates only in bro-friendly gestures – the guy who was loudly present at every college party but had never experienced true friendship. He fills the hole in his heart with a violent Flyers obsession. He is toxic masculinity incarnate.

And I fear, to many, he is a perfect emblem of my city. Philadelphia is known for greasing poles to minimize damage by – and to – fans after Eagles victories; we’ve been forever branded as the city that hurled snowballs at Santa Claus and where a guy purposely threw up on a cop and his child (RIP). The main attraction of our art museum is not Marcel Duchamp’s Nude Descending a Staircase but the fact that Sylvester Stallone ran up the stairs there once.

Gritty, in short, is the last thing we need. The Flyers’ website describes him as being descended from a “bully” who is “unwelcoming to anyone who opposes his team”. Surely his presence will only encourage more tourists to skip over the city between New York and Washington on their east coast trips.

Meanwhile, we’re raising our kids with this thing as a role model. My sister used to receive cheerful birthday cards from the Phanatic. I assume Gritty will send children half-drunk cans of Yuengling. (At least he is, inexplicably, concerned over sports-related brain trauma: he always wears a helmet.)

Reactions: Strafer

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Lighting look blurry to anyone else?

My brightness is normally set on the lower end cuz my tv is only 60hz, but something seems very off about this right now. Ice looks blotchy and the colors are blurred from the brightness off the ice.

Reactions: TP

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
outside of Bergeron and Backes, the forwards are pretty close to what I’d expect next week. Which means they’ll be shutout tonight and I’ll spend the next few days In a panic about the offense.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Besides the iffy play by some like Krug, I really hated the nonsense of the China trip. The game the other night against Detroit and so far this game looks the same inthat they're running around and sucking air.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad