GDT: PS #7 // Flames @ Oilers // Sept 29 @ 1 PM MST // Streaming

Which forwards should make the Oilers roster?

• Total voters

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
I bet every decision Sportsnet makes always precludes with the question “but how does this affect Auston Matthews and the Toronto Maple Leafs?” before they ultimately decide anything lol

They're probably still mad Connor styled all over Matthews in their GQ faceoff.

Reactions: frag2

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Nuge-McDavid-Rieder
Lucic-Drai-Yama
Khaira-Strome-Chiasson
Caggs-Brodziak-Kassian

Klef-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Jerabek-Bouchard

Talbot
Kosk

Thats the closest guess I could come up with based on watching the Oilers live stream of the warmup until the game starts

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Nuge-McDavid-Rieder
Lucic-Drai-Yama
Khaira-Strome-Chiasson
Caggs-Brodziak-Kassian

Klef-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Jerabek-Bouchard

Talbot
Kosk

Thats the closest guess I could come up with based on watching the Oilers live stream of the warmup until the game starts

You saw Rattie out there?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Lucic!

Damn, I hear all the griping about him, and I get it, and I know it’s based on merit ~ how he’s performed. However, I also think it’s 95% poor coaching.

I believe he should be on a line that chips and dumps the puck in >50% of the time; and anchored to the front of the net on the PP. Get him engaged on the forecheck, separating bodies from pucks, and punish Dmen enough that they start to think twice about their gap control. Lucic getting a pass at full speed when entering the zone should probably never happen - much better to get the puck to an area he can barrel into.

The ineffectiveness of this coaching staff to work with the strengths and weaknesses of their players is worse, in my opinion, than any of the GMs moves (other than not having the balls to either fire TMac or get him the right players for his system in the first place).

• We saw it with Schultz being played over his head.
  • We saw it with Eberle being the first option on a break out that never worked (hey, let’s ring the puck around the boards to eberle, so what if never works, that’s the system).
  • And we’re seeing it with lucic - here’s a guy who made his name causing havoc in the Ozone, now let’s put him with two of the best controlled entry guys in the league, so you know, he never gets to do what he’s good at.

I thought along these lines as well before, but after looking back at more of Lucic's history, I think he actually has been historically a rush scorer. He's actually pretty bad at puck battles along the boards. When he was in Jr, he was like a wrecking ball coming down the ice with the puck or on a rush. He could just plow through situations and hammer pucks home. He was a physical freak of nature, this huge body with decent speed and athleticism. He's slowing down now though, and D are getting better and better every year at separating pucks from players without needing to physically engage. Stick checking is becoming a science that more and more NHLers are learning to master. The league just keeps getting faster as well, and every year more large players have good speed.

Lucic's lack of stick skills, combined with how he's been slowing down while the rest of the league speeds up are both hurting him in a big way. Kudos to him working on speed this last summer though. I hope he at least gets back to the 40-50 point range. This year very likely will be the best of the rest of his career.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Second line looks to be the same as last game. Lucic - Drai - Yamamoto

DoSI95JX0AMareV.jpg:large

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad