GDT: PS #6 // Coyotes @ Oilers // Sept 27 @ 7 PM MST // Streaming

Have your feelings about this upcoming season changed based on the preseason so far?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
What funny is weren't we one of the best teams 5 on 5 last year? You would think that if the PP isnt working perhaps try the lines that were successful 5 on 5 with the man advantage. It baffled my mind that when CMD and Maroon were clicking together 5 on 5 really well Tmac would split them up on the Powerplay. That's just braindead thinking. Not f***ing once did he play Maroon on the powerplay with CMD. I'm sure of it.

Reactions: nabob

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I mean, alright I guess? This strikes me as a complete non issue.

All I'm saying is Montoya *should* be given an equal opportunity to win the backup job, especially if Koskinen doesn't improve and continues to be a dud-hopefully he starts to get it together and starts to show improvement. If he wasn't in the plans as you have suggested, then do him a favor and either trade him (possibly no takers?) or put him on waivers.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Montoya is what he is at this point. You pretty know what he is.

Koskinen however is a question mark. Keep hearing he needs to adjust to North American game, so playing him a full game makes a lot of sense.

Montoya can be mad all he wants, but at the end of the day he's quite lucky he had that extra year on his contract. No way he'd be getting a 1mil contract. might even be lucky to be signed when a younger Steve Mason is still sitting.

Reactions: ujju2

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
All I'm saying is Montoya *should* be given an equal opportunity to win the backup job, especially if Koskinen doesn't improve and continues to be a dud-hopefully he starts to get it together and starts to show improvement. If he wasn't in the plans as you have suggested, then do him a favor and either trade him (possibly no takers?) or put him on waivers.

We still need a third string guy. Montoya essentially has a buryable contract. We also need a third goalie for the Europe trip.

If we waive him now or next week or a week ago what difference does it make?

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Then he should have been put on waivers and sent to the Condors camp in my opinion.

While true, preseason is also about getting players into "game shape". If Koskinen continues to flop and is sent to the A or goes back to Europe (if there's a clause in his contract allowing such), Montoya should still be getting more time facing other teams getting at least one start in. Talbot will be getting the Calgary start I'm sure and Koskinen likely the Cologne game.
We’re taking 3 goalies to Europe I think

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

I can sympathize with the sentiment, but to be fair Montoya had his chance in 17/18 to solidify his claim on the backup role, but wasn't able to do it, whether it was an inability to inspire confidence with his performance or inability to stay healthy when the team needed him after Brossoit spit the bit.

That said, I got the impression during McLellan's presser today that while Koskinen's getting the start today, their patience is starting to wear thin. Another mediocre performance by Koskinen today will likely change some plans they had IMO.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
I can sympathize with the sentiment, but to be fair Montoya had his chance in 17/18 to solidify his claim on the backup role, but wasn't able to do it, whether it was an inability to inspire confidence with his performance or inability to stay healthy when the team needed him after Brossoit spit the bit.

That said, I got the impression during McLellan's presser today that while Koskinen's getting the start today, their patience is starting to wear thin. Another mediocre performance by Koskinen today will likely change some plans they had IMO.
Koskinen easily deserves another chance to prove himself. That was a tough assignment last game. I'm not gonna say he was thrown under the bus but most nhl goalies would not have stood a chance that game.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
We still need a third string guy. Montoya essentially has a buryable contract. We also need a third goalie for the Europe trip.

If we waive him now or next week or a week ago what difference does it make?

Solid points...especially with the Euro trip having three goalies on board should one go down over there (knocks on wood) and I had forgotten Montoya's deal can be buried in the minors. It's a double edged sword with both goalies as whichever one gets sent down will be likely taking time from one of the developing 'tenders, who need it more. If it's Koskinen, he'll be getting the starts to get him "up to speed" so he may actually only be down there a month, which all in all isn't bad. I also don't fault him really for any of the goals against Winnipeg, he had zero chance on 4 of the 5. The last one he committed to the shooter maybe a bit early which took him out of the play but not much he could do about the others.

Either way, Chiarelli has some tough decisions to make in the next few days...which is a nice change of pace seeing how Brossoit was practically handed the backup role before camp had even started last season.

Hopefully Koskinen sees lots of rubber tonight and has a good game.

Reactions: oXo Cube

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
As for the poll I voted the whole rock music thing. Thought Cloned would be a Swift fan.

Pre-season means very little to me. We had pre-seasons where we were top in the league only to be the worse once real games happened.

It's tough to get a good gauge of an overall product when teams are dressing the type of rosters they do. I more focus on how certain individuals have changed from previous years.

look I didn't want to be the one to out @Cloned but someone needs to... the other day I saw him rocking out to Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift, he was even singing along, some would say he was even singing the words to the songs seconds before the girls were

I wish I recorded it, I'm sorry I let HFOil down

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

He’s their backup plan for backup. I’m sure he knew this coming into camp. If Lowe had a different last name you could make the same argument for him and the opportunity to fight for a #7/8 Dman job.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Hey guys lets put up a horrible stream instead of making it televised-Oilers organization 2018/19

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Koskinen will probably let in at least 2-3 goals tonight, the thing to look for is his positioning, confidence, rebound control, whether he's too deep in the net. His save % is already shot to hell by the terrible D the other night... this game is all about the eye test.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
About 10 minutes ago, Lowetide and Yaremchuk were saying Koskinen is getting the whole game now.

I'be be pretty choked if I was Montoya...he's been given next to zero opportunity to compete for the backup job say for one period against Vancouver.

Edit: Didn't see Cant'haveTkachev's post stating same thing about Koskinen getting the whole game now.
The team needs to see what they have in Koskinnen. They can’t go into the season without knowing. They pretty much know what Montoya is. His audition was last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad