GDT: PS #6 // Coyotes @ Oilers // Sept 27 @ 7 PM MST // Streaming

Have your feelings about this upcoming season changed based on the preseason so far?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I was optimistic before the preseason started and still am. Too much went terribly wrong last year after the team finally took a step forward. I expect a bounce back this year. There have been numerous examples of this in the league the last few years too. Immature teams can get a little too overconfident and forget about needing to put the work in. I think we’ll start to see much more of that internal growth the organization needs to bank on this year that just wasn’t ready last season. It’s going to be a tough year for the “Fire Chia” crowd.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not a bad idea ONLY if McDavid coaches it on the left side, then has Drai, Klef, and Potentially Nuge as one time options. Basically the Jet's powerplay.

But having McDavid static on the right side with no one-time options is ret*rded,
No it’s a terrible idea. The only way it could be a good idea is if we have some super secret power play setup that we are trying to hide for the regular season.

Sounds like the coaches are trying to prove they are smarter than the rest of the league by trying to force something that everyone knows is stupid.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
No it’s a terrible idea. The only way it could be a good idea is if we have some super secret power play setup that we are trying to hide for the regular season.

Sounds like the coaches are trying to prove they are smarter than the rest of the league by trying to force something that everyone knows is stupid.

I feel like this coaching staff/management group always has to try and be smarter than everyone else.

Reactions: Porkleaker

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Watch from where it is (1:51) to see the Jets PP. It is all right shots, but the difference being Wheeler, (who is coaching the PP) is right handed and playing the right side, so everyone else on the PP is a one time option. There is an option for a long cross-ice pass (Laine) or a quick pass to the middle (Schiefele) or a pass to the point (Byfuglien).

McDavid, unlike Wheeler, is playing his off-wing, limiting every single one-time option. If he plays on the left side, I could see the 5 lefties thing working.

Reactions: Aerrol

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I think Puljujarvi will find himself on Draisaitl's line soon enough, so I think power play units reflecting that would work well.

Rattie-McDavid-RNH-Lucic-Bouchard
Puljujarvi-Draisaitl-Yamamoto-Strome-Klefbom
Just a matter of time for Puju

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009

Watch from where it is (1:51) to see the Jets PP. It is all right shots, but the difference being Wheeler, (who is coaching the PP) is right handed and playing the right side, so everyone else on the PP is a one time option. There is an option for a long cross-ice pass (Laine) or a quick pass to the middle (Schiefele) or a pass to the point (Byfuglien).

McDavid, unlike Wheeler, is playing his off-wing, limiting every single one-time option. If he plays on the left side, I could see the 5 lefties thing working.

RNH is a better PP QB than McD. There i said it. You want McD playing the Phil Kessel rover role.

Reactions: ujju2

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Well they’ve had about 15 games including last season to see that connor needs to be on his off wing and haven’t tried it. So I’m not going to give the coaches any benefit of the doubt here until I see a reason to do so.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
About 10 minutes ago, Lowetide and Yaremchuk were saying Koskinen is getting the whole game now.

I'be be pretty choked if I was Montoya...he's been given next to zero opportunity to compete for the backup job say for one period against Vancouver.

Edit: Didn't see Cant'haveTkachev's post stating same thing about Koskinen getting the whole game now.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I feel like this coaching staff/management group always has to try and be smarter than everyone else.

Like having Letestu as our extra attacker and PP go to guy for almost an entire failed season. Now the guy can’t get a job. We sure love our Toby Peterson’s.

I just can’t fathom a new coach would come in and use the exact same setup that failed horribly last season. Unless it’s really the head coach still making all the decisions.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Montoya was never in the plans. It was Talbot and Koskinen the moment he was brought in.

Sucks for Montoya and he can be upset if he wants but that's the business.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Like having Letestu as our extra attacker and PP go to guy for almost an entire failed season. Now the guy can’t get a job. We sure love our Toby Peterson’s.

I just can’t fathom a new coach would come in and use the exact same setup that failed horribly last season. Unless it’s really the head coach still making all the decisions.

I guess TMac didn't look in the mirror long enough...

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
About 10 minutes ago, Lowetide and Yaremchuk were saying Koskinen is getting the whole game now.

I'be be pretty choked if I was Montoya...he's been given next to zero opportunity to compete for the backup job say for one period against Vancouver.

Edit: Didn't see Cant'haveTkachev's post stating same thing about Koskinen getting the whole game now.

Reactions: McFuhryous

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011

Montoya had last season to compete for the backup job, obviously he didn't impress much or they wouldn't have brought in Koskinen.

Koskinen has been garbage and we need to know now what he is capable of. We know what Montoya brings, he's not going to show us anything we haven't already seen. If it was up to me I'd play Koskinen every remaining pre season game. We NEED to know what we have with him.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Montoya had last season to compete for the backup job, obviously he didn't impress much or they wouldn't have brought in Koskinen.

Koskinen has been garbage and we need to know now what he is capable of. We know what Montoya brings, he's not going to show us anything we haven't already seen. If it was up to me I'd play Koskinen every remaining pre season game. We NEED to know what we have with him.

Came here to post pretty much exactly this.

They know what they have in Montoya, they have no idea yet on Koskinen.

But they HAVE to throw Koskinen in the minors if he continues to struggle.

Reactions: jeffff

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Montoya was never in the plans. It was Talbot and Koskinen the moment he was brought in.

Sucks for Montoya and he can be upset if he wants but that's the business.

Then he should have been put on waivers and sent to the Condors camp in my opinion.

While true, preseason is also about getting players into "game shape". If Koskinen continues to flop and is sent to the A or goes back to Europe (if there's a clause in his contract allowing such), Montoya should still be getting more time facing other teams getting at least one start in. Talbot will be getting the Calgary start I'm sure and Koskinen likely the Cologne game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->