GDT: PS #6 // Coyotes @ Oilers // Sept 27 @ 7 PM MST // Streaming

Have your feelings about this upcoming season changed based on the preseason so far?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
As for the poll I voted the whole rock music thing. Thought Cloned would be a Swift fan.

Pre-season means very little to me. We had pre-seasons where we were top in the league only to be the worse once real games happened.

It's tough to get a good gauge of an overall product when teams are dressing the type of rosters they do. I more focus on how certain individuals have changed from previous years.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That and it's brand new coaches in a very limited sample size. People just lose their **** about anything

It's not over nothing, did you watch any of the games? The top unit is all out of sorts and normally you can chalk this up to preseason rust if it wasn't for the fact that this same unit failed miserably last season.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
As for the poll I voted the whole rock music thing. Thought Cloned would be a Swift fan.

Pre-season means very little to me. We had pre-seasons where we were top in the league only to be the worse once real games happened.

It's tough to get a good gauge of an overall product when teams are dressing the type of rosters they do. I more focus on how certain individuals have changed from previous years.
That, and the insular nature of preseason where it seems like 75% of the games are vs. the same 3 teams every year makes it difficult to see how you stack up against the league overall.

It's best to focus on individuals, for sure...though at least the last couple of preseason games are usually against rosters that are 90%+ of what the opposition's opening night lineups will be, so it's a little better barometer than the trash being thrown on the ice a couple weeks prior.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Since people want to discuss the PP, most of which have never played any meaningful level of hockey in their lives. RNH's move on the left side boards against Van the other night is how a left shot pp can work. The armchair coaches think that its easy to suppress shots on the left side since the angles are tighter, but that move is an example of why its not that easy. The way PK's work is to try and get in lanes and force things to the outside. All you need to do is beat 1 guy and then you have a scoring chance. The way the PP was set up last year they didn't ever do that. They forced passes through lanes instead of attacking, beating that 1 guy. Even though it wasn't a PP, on Klefbom's goal that's what Lucic was doing on his toe-drag. Instead of pass to Klef or shoot through the screen he chose to beat the guy first. I think that's the first message our coaches has instilled is winning or even forcing the one on one battles. Two years ago the Oilers were forcing puck battles and winning them. Last year they didn't win too many of those, and weren't forcing them.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
That's all fine (and condescending) except that the first PP unit couldn't even get setup in the offensive zone, and when they did we saw no forcing of one on one battles, and it was the same thing as last year. A bunch of perimeter passing and no attacking the middle of the ice. I don't even think RNH's move was during a PP?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No Kassian tonight, eh?

HMMMMMM *strokes chin*

Say what you will about Aberg, he’s at least been playing like he gives a damn...

Reactions: North

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
With how well our RW and Talbot has been playing it’s almost like I forgot about Drai. Time for the German Gretzky to find his game soon.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Literally the stupidest thing he's done here as a coach.

First PP all left shots, none of which like shooting, lets put them on the same PP.

Oh we have 5 right shots with 4 of 5 loving to shoot? **** it, put them all together.

**** sakes Todd, split up your passers and shooters you dumby. We could theoretically have 2 pretty decent PP units but right now our PP2 is miles better than the first unit, and when you have McDavid and Drai on the first unit that is pathetic.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. This might be the dumbest thing I've seen in my years of watching hockey. Easkin's "cluster defence", or whatever the hell it was called, is right up there though.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I think it's down to Bear vs Bouchard for 6D and Caggiula vs Kassian vs Aberg for the last forward. Yamamoto has played himself onto the team.

I don't see room for Chiasson. Garrison maybe.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think it's down to Bear vs Bouchard for 6D and Caggiula vs Kassian vs Aberg for the last forward. Yamamoto has played himself onto the team.

We do if we trade or waive Kassian...

Nuge-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Drai-Yamamoto
Khaira-Strome-Puljujarvi
Rieder-Brodziak-Chiasson
Aberg, Caggiula

Klef-Lars
Nurse-Benning
Russell-Bouchard
Garrison

Kassian waived or traded. Jerabek waived or traded.

I don’t dislike Kass at all but he’s been playing very mediocre hockey and he’s a pricey ticket. I think he has enough value that we could get a decent prospect or depth D.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
We do if we trade or waive Kassian...

Nuge-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Drai-Yamamoto
Khaira-Strome-Puljujarvi
Rieder-Brodziak-Chiasson
Aberg, Caggiula

Klef-Lars
Nurse-Benning
Russell-Bouchard
Garrison

Kassian waived or traded. Jerabek waived or traded.

I don’t dislike Kass at all but he’s been playing very mediocre hockey and he’s a pricey ticket. I think he has enough value that we could get a decent prospect or depth D.

Maybe. Regardless I think that roster is more or less what we start the season with subbing Chiasson for Kassian in the interim.

Bouchard will get a shot to stick and if he doesn't then Bear will come up to replace him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As for the poll I was optimistic for this season but after most of the preseason I am very optimistic. Where was that option Cloned?

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
This clown Tmac has 5 left shots on the 1st unit and wait for it...

"On the second power-play unit with Ty Rattie, Jesse Puljujarvi, Kailer Yamamotoand Ethan Bear, Strome paralleled the intensity of practice"

5 FREAKING RIGHT SHOTS ON THE 2ND UNIT, WTF MAN
Not a bad idea ONLY if McDavid coaches it on the left side, then has Drai, Klef, and Potentially Nuge as one time options. Basically the Jet's powerplay.

But having McDavid static on the right side with no one-time options is ret*rded,

Reactions: Aerrol

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Agreed about Bear vs. Bouchard, though looking at the pairings they've been given recently (Bouchard w/ Russell, and Bear w/ PTO guy Garrison), I have to think that Bouchard's got the inside track to at least start the year with the Oilers. And really that's the most painless play here, with Bear he can go down without waivers and be called up whenever. With Bouchard once he's sent back he almost certainly won't be back with the Oilers until next training camp.

It definitely looks good for Yamamoto to be given a 2nd straight game with Drai and Lucic. Here's hoping they look better than last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad