GDT: PS #6 // Coyotes @ Oilers // Sept 27 @ 7 PM MST // Streaming

Have your feelings about this upcoming season changed based on the preseason so far?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Surprised the Edmonton Sportsnet crew hasn't covered a game yet. Is there something going on? Doesn't seem very cost effective bringing in Vancouver's guys for last game...

Reactions: ujju2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Surprised the Edmonton Sportsnet crew hasn't covered a game yet. Is there something going on? Doesn't seem very cost effective bringing in Vancouver's guys for last game...

Hardly anybody seems to notice this but I find it annoying, especially in preseason, as you don't have all the Oilers numbers down pat and with opponent telecasts the play by play call is just focusing on the other clubs players. So that you barely even know which Oilers are touching the puck on some lines. Its bizarre.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

More cost effective to buy plane tickets than to start paying crew that doesn't get back to work until October.

This is nothing new. Sportsnet Oilers crew does not ever work preseason.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Have always thought the Oilers were a 88-100 pt team this year, too much variability (injury risk, tough schedule, etc) to predict to a T. Still do.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Funny you mention that...

BLOG: Special teams units compete

The special teams unit went head to head with a bag skate on the line for the losers.

Connor, Leon and Oskar (pp1) were some of the players on the losing end :laugh:.
This clown Tmac has 5 left shots on the 1st unit and wait for it...

"On the second power-play unit with Ty Rattie, Jesse Puljujarvi, Kailer Yamamotoand Ethan Bear, Strome paralleled the intensity of practice"

5 FREAKING RIGHT SHOTS ON THE 2ND UNIT, WTF MAN

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario

"On the second power-play unit with Ty Rattie, Jesse Puljujarvi, Kailer Yamamotoand Ethan Bear, Strome paralleled the intensity of practice"

Literally the stupidest thing he's done here as a coach.

First PP all left shots, none of which like shooting, lets put them on the same PP.

Oh we have 5 right shots with 4 of 5 loving to shoot? f*** it, put them all together.

f*** sakes Todd, split up your passers and shooters you dumby. We could theoretically have 2 pretty decent PP units but right now our PP2 is miles better than the first unit, and when you have McDavid and Drai on the first unit that is pathetic.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Voted no, always optimistic. Had $200 on the Oil making the playoffs before training camp started. Feel better about now than at the time though - mainly based on Rattie’s chemistry with Nuge and McD. Puljujarvi I was always confident would take the next step.

All we need now is for teams out East to quit gifting division rivals talent for pennies on the dollar (see MaxPac and EK65).
Unreal trade I agree. We could have traded Aberg, Caggiula , Kassian and a 1st for Karlsson. Would have been better for SJ

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
TMac is such an idiot sometimes. 5 lefties on one PP unit and 5 righties on the other.

I just want to punch him sometimes.

Why wasn't Lucic bag skated? Wasn't he on the first unit that lost?

Did you hear TMac's reasoning on finally putting RNH with MCD?

Something along the lines of "a lot of people were saying that we should try that"

Holy f*** the boards were saying that in January. Anything to get Lucic away from CMD

Unfortunately I think it's going to take TMac getting fired before this team turns it around if he's as dense and stubborn as last year.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

All they have to do is one simple switch. Move Puljujarvi or Rattie to the top unit and Nuge or Drai to the 2nd unit. The 1st unit gets a RH shooter with two high end playmakers still and the 2nd unit gets a LH playmaker to tee it up for the RHS.

It's not even the lefty thing that bothers me (Winnipeg employs a predominantly RH PP), it's the fact that it's all lefties who are pass first. The PP worked best when Letestu was pumping pucks into the back of the net with Nuge anchoring the 2nd unit and it's no coincidence that it has failed since, getting a shooter with any level of skill in the one time spot is a no brainer. Just about every other team has one.

Also, Lucic isn't the problem (they need a net front presence), it's the 3rd playmaker. They don't need 3 high end playmakers on one unit with no shooter, it's stupid and confusing for the players.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
If he is stubborn with the PP units and wants his boy Lucic to drag down the other 2nd liners, hopefully he is fired.

How to guys on the internet see things so clearly and this guy can't? MINDBOTTLING

Reactions: PulYou

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
TMac is such an idiot sometimes. 5 lefties on one PP unit and 5 righties on the other.

I just want to punch him sometimes.

Why wasn't Lucic bag skated? Wasn't he on the first unit that lost?

Did you hear TMac's reasoning on finally putting RNH with MCD?

Something along the lines of "a lot of people were saying that we should try that"

Holy **** the boards were saying that in January. Anything to get Lucic away from CMD

Unfortunately I think it's going to take TMac getting fired before this team turns it around if he's as dense and stubborn as last year.

The thing I find really frustrating with him is when I listen to his pre and post game interviews, I genuinely like the guy. He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders, understands what hes doing, doesnt sugar coat stuff but isnt negative, and he doesnt always give generic answers.

But then I watch him in game and I see some of the line combos he uses and some of his decisions, and I just ask why? He really does seem a bit clueless at times. He does come across as being incredibly stubborn, basically it feels like he always trying to put a square block into a round hole.

I am hoping that a new coaching staff helps. We will see. I havent liked the special teams yet though (I dont like the personnel combos nor the execution). To his credit he has said that they havent been a main point of focus yet but the line combinations on the PP dont even make sense in the first place.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The PP is running at like 30% right now.

You can point out the reasons why that probably isn't representative if you want, and I might be receptive to them, but the coaches aren't going to rework the whole thing while it's producing.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think Puljujarvi will find himself on Draisaitl's line soon enough, so I think power play units reflecting that would work well.

Rattie-McDavid-RNH-Lucic-Bouchard
Puljujarvi-Draisaitl-Yamamoto-Strome-Klefbom

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Are there any SC Broncos fans on this board who can comment on what kind of powerplay Viveiros ran there?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Think it was Lowetide saying for pre-season they only want to have one crew doing games and they usually favour the larger market.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The PP is running at like 30% right now.

You can point out the reasons why that probably isn't representative if you want, and I might be receptive to them, but the coaches aren't going to rework the whole thing while it's producing.
That and it's brand new coaches in a very limited sample size. People just lose their shit about anything

Reactions: oXo Cube
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad