GDT: PS #5 // VAN x EDM // Sept 25 @ 7 PM MST // TV: SNET

Who should make the Oilers 6-7-8 defense?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Russell and Bouchard should be an interesting pairing. If they really gel I could see them getting some more time together in the first 9 games. Two radically different play styles.

I think it could really work well. I think Bouchard is already good enough as a passer to handle the majority of breakouts and offence as well, and Russell, for al his faults, is pretty darn reliable defensively. Could be a good pairing. Russell shelters Bouchard defensively and Bouchard shelters Russell offensively.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think it could really work well. I think Bouchard is already good enough as a passer to handle the majority of breakouts and offence as well, and Russell, for al his faults, is pretty darn reliable defensively. Could be a good pairing. Russell shelters Bouchard defensively and Bouchard shelters Russell offensively.

Yep... been saying this all summer. It was my go-to 3rd pairing (Benning splitting time with Bouchard) when I thought we'd have a healthy Nurse-Sekera pairing. That injury really hurts us if Benning can't tread water with Nurse on the second pairing. I think he might, but it's going to require one of their heads to get screwed down in the D zone. They both tend to get puck fixated and vacate the slot.

Reactions: ujju2

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Not only that i thought he was actually decent. He wasn't making terrible passes and he scored a goal. He wasn't great either but i actually thought Rieder was worse. Lucic just needs to not be a boat anchor at evens and score a bit on the PP, if he can do that then we got a chance of unloading him. This team needs to give him a chance in the top 6 so he can push for 50 points and have some value. In all honesty he may be unloadable to Seattle if he can be half decent, and he may even want to go there seeing how it isn't Vancouver but damn close.
If Lucic does all that then he would be very valuable considering his other attributes. His mere presence sometimes is underrated.

The Oilers should keep him.

Simonizer

Sep 23, 2015
If Lucic does all that then he would be very valuable considering his other attributes. His mere presence sometimes is underrated.

The Oilers should keep him.

Concur, right the ship. He's one of the guys who is going to be needed if we make it to the post season.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Chiasson is similar to what Slepy brought. They both have a problem with consistency. Slepy is most likely the better player of the two.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm going to miss the 1st period and 1/2 of the 2nd :(
I might have to leave for 1/2 of the third. :(
Really wanna see Bouchard for as long as he's up.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Chiasson is similar to what Slepy brought. They both have a problem with consistency. Slepy is most likely the better player of the two.

Slepy didn’t PK for us. Chiasson actually does that and the expectation of him will to be a 4th line player. If he keeps his play up, he should have a spot on that 4th line IMO or at least as a 13th forward.

If he struggles, we have Aberg and Caggiula ready to steal a spot right back from him. Good problem to have, reminds of the start of 16-17 season when we had Paks, Hendo, Lander, Pitlick, Slepy and even Puju fighting it out to get a spot in the starting 12.

Reactions: Mr Positive

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Do they even need Chiasson for the PK?

Khaira, Strome and Kassian were the team's best PKers last season, statistically.

I'm guessing you add Brodziak and you've got your two units. Sprinkle in some McDavid time too.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Excited to see that McDavid line again tonight. Hopefully they stay hot.

Will be watching Bouchard like a hawk. He made some coverage mistakes in front of our net last game, let's see how fast he learns. Of course, he'll make other mistakes but that'll be an ongoing story throughout his first 2 years.

Drai had his usual off night that last time out. Let's see if what he brings tonight with Yamo.

Puljujaarvi's looked great. Let's see if he's found consistency.

Sounds like a lot of people are liking what Chiasson has been bringing. I admittedly haven't noticed him much. I'll pay more attention to him tonight, see what all the hub bub is about.

Who's going to be better tonight? Garrison or Jerabek.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Do they even need Chiasson for the PK?

Khaira, Strome and Kassian were the team's best PKers last season, statistically.

I'm guessing you add Brodziak and you've got your two units. Sprinkle in some McDavid time too.
There's a good chance we'd probably like to see Kassian's spot filled by someone making less than $1.95m over the next couple seasons.

Oilersfan93

Jun 22, 2016
watching from Ireland, pretty excited!!!! Love my oilers so much gotta stay up till 2am to study and then reward myself with some McLoving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad