Post-Game Talk: PS #4 - 09/24/18 | devils @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There was plenty of love for Pionk's play that led to the 2nd goal. He was great yesterday as long as we ignore OT (where he is usually amazing), I don't think anyone has said otherwise.

Also lets not act like all 2nd assists are created equal. strong break out passes that lead to a high scoring chance are a repeatable skill.

But yeah, Lets hope that they both make it and play a bunch and Staal doesn't play much at all.
People may not have said otherwise, but I didn't see much praise. Not in relation to ADA and his play, anyway. Maybe I'm just missing it.

What kind of secondary assists does Pionk usually produce?

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I love Buch playing all dour and like he has a chip on his shoulder. He's been shedding people who try to check him physically and clocking people in the crease.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I love Buch playing all dour and like he has a chip on his shoulder. He's been shedding people who try to check him physically and clocking people in the crease.

Seems like he changed his playing style abit. More engaged physically. I can't help but revert back to the one on one drills that Dave Maloney posted on twitter where he said if we did this drill when i played there would have been fights. Feel like we are seeing those with Buchnevich, and some of the other players as well.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Honestly..I don't see the point of playing him on the 2nd line.

You have to play your best players on the top line and going against the other top players of the league.

Zucca is this team's best FWD and leading scorer..

Very late to the party, but no, you don't. Teams will often play their better shut-down players against teams top lines. I'm not saying Zucc is or isn't that guy, but this also offers up opportunity for Zucc to go against a teams 2nd or 3rd line, which might benefit him. Where Zucc starts most likely won't even be a permanent, I'm sure Quinn will adjust on players clicking together. Also, I think Zucc would be good leader, line-mate for Chytil.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
What I would give to have handwriting like that. Anytime a pen is in my hand and it touches paper, the end result looks like I was attempting to write while having a seizure.
Not bragging here, but I have very similar handwriting. Been accolades a many, more times than I can remember. From females no less. Unfortunately, may be what I am most known for and probably will be "written" on my tombstone.

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What do we define as elite?

Nico scored 20 goals and 52 points last year as a rookie, while getting 16 mins of playing time per night.

Give him a few years, and 2-3 additional minutes per game, and you've got the potential for a top echelon 70 point player.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'm not fixated on anything and this shouldn't even need to be a topic for conversation.
This team just doesn't have that caliber of player so you play your best winger on your best line.
Nothing more than common sense really.
I dont think its a question of common sense. If our TOP players dont match up well, then why not give them a chance against their 2nd or 3rd lines. Many times a "checking 4th line" is specifically matched up against the Crosby's and Malkins, which is WHY they dont even always play as one line......spreading the wealth, so to speak.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
What do we define as elite?

Nico scored 20 goals and 52 points last year as a rookie, while getting 16 mins of playing time per night.

Give him a few years, and 2-3 additional minutes per game, and you've got the potential for a top echelon 70 point player.

Add to this that he has almost no PP points !!
since he was among the youngest in the league .. he was tired !! and was not given PP time (6 PP points ; Hall had 37 !! ).
(notice that he didn't miss 1 single game !!)

And for the ones who say that Nico is carried by Hall, Hall had 52 points in 16/17, and 93 in 17/18 with Nico as linemate.

So add some couple of more minutes per game, some more kg, experience, PP time and you have a serious star.

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
then passes the phone to Vesey who messes up the order.

their playoff quota has been met for next 4 years.

That was a fun game, really happy to see that after so much boring hockey from previous 7 coaches.

Gettinger continues impressing.

Lettieri can play, he is a bit of an agitator too. I hope he makes the team.

Pionk was really good yet again, in fact when all is said and done he might be our best defenseman already. And he just piles up points.

ADA finally got a point, he played pretty good, his shot is pretty weak though.

I have a feeling McQuaid will start as the 7th Dman

Hopefully Beleskey is not out for long.

Fogarty looked a bit slower than the 1st game.

A few additions by subtractions (Vesey and Namestnikov) and I thing we got a very good team.

Is it my imagination? For someone that is supposedly an offensive type defenseman......seems he has McDonoughitis. His shots get blocked waaaay too often. Just wait a second longer, than let her rip!

he was playing wing this game

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Agree. At this point in the NHL, less than a point per game but still around 70+ is a star player, PPG and over is elite, 100+ is franchise player/best in the world territory

I guess at this point I view 70+ as entering that elite range, probably going to about a PPG. As you inch past that you start getting into franchise player range --- though there are few guys in today's NHL that consistently stay above that mark year-in and year-out.

I mean if we're talking about more than a ppg being elite, than excludes names like Kaine, Laine, Tarasenko, Giroux and a host of other top players at various points, or cumulatively over the last several years.

But it also depends on which way scoring trends as well and how soft of a line we want to go with.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Screw it, this post was a good natured rib where I self deprecated but this place has been weird lately with that so I'm erring on the side of caution and just getting rid of what I had here. Essentially I defended flamingos. Said they're liked here. More than me and many posters

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I'm not fixated on anything and this shouldn't even need to be a topic for conversation.
This team just doesn't have that caliber of player so you play your best winger on your best line.
Nothing more than common sense really.
But it's not clear that he would be a part of our best line. He's not so far and away our best winger that he HAS to be the top line. We'll see how line combos shake out. I appreciate the sentiment but there are very valid reasons for him to not be on the 1st line

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Seems like he changed his playing style abit. More engaged physically. I can't help but revert back to the one on one drills that Dave Maloney posted on twitter where he said if we did this drill when i played there would have been fights. Feel like we are seeing those with Buchnevich, and some of the other players as well.

Agreed. Although I think you meant refer back, or revert, since you can't revert back. lol

Reactions: Lion Hound
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad