Post-Game Talk: PS #1 - 09/17/18 | RANGERS @ devils

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
No ones allowed to bring back dump anything. I get agitated just seeing it. Hope the dude is posting somewhere, alil calmer, to this day. But never never bring back ‘dump’

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Quinn apparently addressed the team about responding to the headshot. If you're going to do it, as a team is the way to do it.

Still shocked Gryba did that knowing McLeod was in the lineup. What a brave soul.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Quinn apparently addressed the team about responding to the headshot. If you're going to do it, as a team is the way to do it.

Still shocked Gryba did that knowing McLeod was in the lineup. What a brave soul.

Gryba used his head.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Agreed

Seriously tho at least we have McQuaid and hes a legitimately scary dude

Can't wait until he jumps in without the coach's "authorization" and we can start calling him Lone Wolf McQuaid. Because that's one of my favorite movies. Not really. But it'd still be cool.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The reason I disagree with this is because Kreider can easily be the best player on the ice in any given game and then totally disappear for multiple games at a time. If he didn't show glimpses of greatness and utter dominance, no one would have a problem with him.

I can't remember ever seeing another NHL player who can intermittently absolutely dominate a game and be invisible in lots of other games. Lots of hockey announcers have expressed this same opinion. Unless we are all hypnotized, it's a real thing.

Yes, overall he is a very good player to have, but if any of you can say that he plays at a consistent level, I'd say your opinion is based on fiction and fanboy love.

I mean I agree and it’s fairly obvious, but isn’t the fan fiction on this site fantastic?

It’s like those old sci fi things that got turned into more recent films and shows.

These super elaborate narratives redefining common sense , events , and even the depth of mind reading could surely fill several Netflix seasons. Idk if there is enough of a hockey market. Perhaps the character stories could be extended to something else.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Marc Staal in already mid-season form making poor decisions with the puck in the offensive zone :laugh:

Reactions: Ori

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013

I see what you did here

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Saw the game live at the Rock. Choppy game to start, but got more entertaining as the night went along. Notes below:

Pionk- Liked his composure and decision making. Very heady plays all night long. A couple of really good passes stuck out. He's going to be a full time top 4 D this year. Might get the most minutes on the right side even. There's no panic in his game.

DeAngelo- Probably the best I've seen him as a Ranger. Really liked him paired with Staal, they complimented each other well. Passes were crisp, played a very stable and focused game. Displayed some good offensive instincts. I think he made Staal a better option out there with the passing and mobility, their coverage together was in sync for the most part.

Buchnevich- Looks a lot bigger and stronger out there. Just oozes skill in open ice. Clapper was a beauty, as was the apple. Shades of Kuznetsov at times. But he was consistently shut down on zone entries. Rangers made a concerted effort to have more controlled entries, and Buch wasn't great last night. The Dman close the gap and bodied him at the line almost everytime. If Pavel wants to be an elite offensive player, this is the part of the game he needs to master. Very predictable on the carries.

McLeod- Didn't respond after the Nieves headshot. Hit was a thing of beauty, brought me out of my seat, just a perfectly devastating timing play, but McLeod did nothing, and totally gaffed on the 1st goal. I saw it coming after he chased a covered man into the boards and left the slot wide open. Given Nashville last year, the lack of response last night, and another brain fart, I'd send him down asap.

Claesson- Didn't like his game. Noticeable in a bad way, made a few mistakes, and he's not a fleet of foot to recover either. This is a player to trade to a team that's short on defenseman the 1st chance you get. You don't need the depth with him.

O' Gara- I liked his game last night. Far more cerebral than what he showed last year. Wasn't a step behind the play. Don't see him as a puck mover or a prime shutdown option, but he didn't make any poor decisions. Played physical, and stood up for the team.

Lindgren- Was chasing it a bit, but the kid's definitely chippy. Threw some shoves, and small whacks out there that will get called but he got away with it. Didn't see him take a run at a guy, but did see him get caught behind the net or in between passing lanes. All of which are coachable. Very stocky build, he's much smaller than I would have thought.

Lias- Best player all night. Oozes hockey smarts and compete level, always in the right position. Was not slow at all, and showed some filthy hands last night. Really effective checker, keeps the stick low, goes stick on stick, or stick on puck. Covers passing lanes really well, great reads, good anticipation. Showing why he went 7th overall.

Lindqvist- Only noticed him in the penalty box.

Meskanen- didn't notice him much, a couple of pesky stick checks.

Fogarty- looked slow, and misread his coverage.

Nieves- took an amazing hit, but got a lot of icetime early. I just don't see an NHL player here. He can skate like one, but decisions with the puck, and the skill level... I just don't see it. Hope he's alright.

Gettinger- huge kid... looks like he's Brian Boyle when standing still, but doesn't play like him at all. Telegraphed everything he was going to do when he had the puck. This is a kid who will need pro coaching to be a 4th liner. Speed isn't there. He threw the body around, but wasn't effective at creating anything. But like I said, he's huge. The strides need some work. If he learns to be more economical with his stride, and a little more judicious with his options, then you're maybe looking at a 4th line winger. Otherwise, I'd drop him down the prospect rankings.

Cole Schneider still has a contract with the New York Rangers. Kidding aside, he's got some separation speed, but a terrible case of the mendoza hands. Just botched a couple of clean breaks, and whiffed on a Devil mistake.

Fast- I get the feeling he's going to help another team win the cup. Does all of the little things right. Made a subtle but effective play on the winning goal. Just such a smart player. Wish he shot more.

Kreider- Saw him skate at full speed just once before taking the foot off the pedal. Otherwise he was easy to play against. Expecting the same old same old.

Also should note I was impressed with the Devils team speed. They are much faster overall than the Rangers, much faster.

Ty Smith is going to be a stud. Devils got a lot of PP time early, and Ty controlled the pace of the PP and opened up areas. Smith also thinks the game, and plays the game at a faster pace than a lot of the Ranger forwards out there. Some smart pinches, silky passes. The Devils hit a homerun with this kid. They're lucky he fell to them. I had him 12th overall for the draft. Was in my top 10 for most of the year.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

Not only a good coaching one but a quinntessential one.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
Regarding the Nieves hit () Is this play something he could have avoided? Is being concussion prone a thing? I know others mentioned it was a predatory high hit, but is he putting himself into a position to get a concussion here? Between the speed he crossed the blue line with, coupled with trying to out-reach Brian Boyle and juggle through the linesmens skates, one could argue he should have gotten rid of the puck earlier or at least dumped it in to avoid getting caught in a defenseless spot. I'm personally of the school of thought that predatory high hits need to get out of the game so I want to think Nieves is not asking to get concussed, but curious to hear what others think

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Regarding the Nieves hit () Is this play something he could have avoided? Is being concussion prone a thing? I know others mentioned it was a predatory high hit, but is he putting himself into a position to get a concussion here? Between the speed he crossed the blue line with, coupled with trying to out-reach Brian Boyle and juggle through the linesmens skates, one could argue he should have gotten rid of the puck earlier or at least dumped it in to avoid getting caught in a defenseless spot. I'm personally of the school of thought that predatory high hits need to get out of the game so I want to think Nieves is not asking to get concussed, but curious to hear what others think

I think it’s predatory and dangerous. Nieves was tied up with Boyle already. A third man coming in at full speed has to be very careful at least. Third player in a scrum has to be careful. I hope the league cleans it up but it doesn’t seem they will. It’s doubly frustrating because a third guy in should be able to easily pilfer the puck rather than hitting and unsuspecting opponent in the head. It’s just dumb hockey on top of being unprofessional and dangerous.

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I remember in 2010-2011 Gaborik had low 20s in goals (in like 60 games) and 10 of them came in 3 games.
That year was so weird, Gaborik really was legitimately bad (unlike 2012-13 when he was just snakebitten). It was even weirder that it came immediately after 2009-10 when Gaborik had been playing like a legit superstar (comparable season to Hall's 2017-18).

His struggles were also compounded by the fact that the Rangers' lines 2-4 were incredible, but we had the worst top line in the league that year.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad