Post-Game Talk: PS #1 - 09/17/18 | RANGERS @ devils

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I think we also go through this every year...Kreider is only a disappointment to the people who think he has elite skills to go along with his physical abilities and therefor he should dominate all the time but doesn't because he's not smart enough or is lazy or something.

Kreider's production ultimately has been about in line with his skills. I'd like to see him go back to being a more nasty player like he was for a bit until AV coached that out of him but it probably won't happen overnight

Clear his cache and delete his history. Then the animal will be back in the Manimal.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I think we also go through this every year...Kreider is only a disappointment to the people who think he has elite skills to go along with his physical abilities and therefor he should dominate all the time but doesn't because he's not smart enough or is lazy or something.

Kreider's production ultimately has been about in line with his skills. I'd like to see him go back to being a more nasty player like he was for a bit until AV coached that out of him but it probably won't happen overnight

The reason I disagree with this is because Kreider can easily be the best player on the ice in any given game and then totally disappear for multiple games at a time. If he didn't show glimpses of greatness and utter dominance, no one would have a problem with him.

I can't remember ever seeing another NHL player who can intermittently absolutely dominate a game and be invisible in lots of other games. Lots of hockey announcers have expressed this same opinion. Unless we are all hypnotized, it's a real thing.

Yes, overall he is a very good player to have, but if any of you can say that he plays at a consistent level, I'd say your opinion is based on fiction and fanboy love.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
No matter which way you spin it, getting on a vet who’s proven himself to be a capable beast 1st line scorer for taking it easy in the first preseason game, is the ridiculousness here. I don’t want Kreider going full throttle in the first preseason game I’m sorry. You want more out of Kreider in the reg season? Fair enough. But then wait for the reg season to assess and complain.

After the nonsense from last night I’m probably coming off as a Kreider hater but that’s simply not the case.

Do I wish he was more consistent? Absolutely but he is who he is.

Since his line is usually the first on the ice at puck drop, the first thing I would like to see him do is just tag someone right off the bat and set the tone for the game in the physicality dept.

He’s the big body/ power forward on this team as well as a vet so he should be setting the example for the youngsters.
Who else is more capable than Kreider?

I think he’s most effective when he’s throwing around his weight and I’m not saying that he needs to go balls to the wall in pre-season but it doesn’t have to be a playoff game in order to hit someone either.

Playing physical is what he should be doing even when he’s not putting up points because he creates a lot of space when he does.

If you aren’t scoring points, you do other things to help your team and I feel he disappears at times rather than doing those things.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
If you aren’t scoring points, you do other things to help your team and I feel he disappears at times rather than doing those things.

Please don't say that. We don't need him to turn into Nash. He needs to be a point-getter once Game 1 starts.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The reason I disagree with this is because Kreider can easily be the best player on the ice in any given game and then totally disappear for multiple games at a time. If he didn't show glimpses of greatness and utter dominance, no one would have a problem with him.

I can't remember ever seeing another NHL player who can intermittently absolutely dominate a game and be invisible in lots of other games. Lots of hockey announcers have expressed this same opinion. Unless we are all hypnotized, it's a real thing.

Yes, overall he is a very good player to have, but if any of you can say that he plays at a consistent level, I'd say your opinion is based on fiction and fanboy love.

I think most NHL players go through ups and downs. Some games it comes easy, some games they just can't find the right rhythm or the puck just won't come to them. The latter are the games where people say "so and so looks lazy" because things aren't coming easily and they're spending more time standing still or chasing the play. I don't believe it's an effort thing, it's just something that happens over a long season.

I tend to think that Kreider does a bit better when he's on the puck more often rather than letting his teammates do the work, and maybe that's part of the issue. When a guy has the puck a lot it looks like he's dominating. Thing is that I'm also not sure Kreider's game is built for him to always play like that, I don't think it comes totally naturally to him.

Reactions: egelband

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
Have only seen first two periods (so far) and not inclined to undergo any sudden 180 degree thought replacements as a result.
-- Andersson. Had some faith in the choice before but last night sure felt like the beginning of justifying that pick. Super-smart, lots of effort, and looks like the summer work with Prentiss has had some result.
-- DeAngelo. To this point had seen absolutely nothing from this guy to think he has a place in the NHL. Last night he did a lot of things well; still looks to me a bit disengaged in his own end and those passes across the net front... but I'm going to put fresh eyes on him and reevaluate.
-- Pionk. A favorite of mine who in this first game looked a bit like a Great Dane puppy (well, maybe missing some size there). A bit more thrashing about and uncertainty than I came to expect last year, although stylistically he has always looked a bit odd and "graceful" is not a term that comes to mind. Probably the hardest working D... and maybe player, Fast always excepted... on the ice, though. I think the Rangers NEED this guy to demand top six this year with his play and still expect he'll do that. There is a LOT here for a guy who is still not a year out of college.
-- Buchnevich. Looked an awful lot like the Vigneault Buchnevich... until he potted one. Then it was like a switch was flipped. Hoping between him and Quinn it stays flipped or... this is his time and he best grab it.
-- Gettinger. Huh. If nothing else, I want to see more. Maybe my first call up for 4th line fill-in if only out of curiosity.
-- Lindgren. Not this year, I guess. But not too long, either. Solid and strong but still things to learn and adapt to.

Interesting and engaging first night and not too much to over-emote about... but some nice signs. Already looking forward to Wednesday.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I think most NHL players go through ups and downs. Some games it comes easy, some games they just can't find the right rhythm or the puck just won't come to them. The latter are the games where people say "so and so looks lazy" because things aren't coming easily and they're spending more time standing still or chasing the play. I don't believe it's an effort thing, it's just something that happens over a long season.

I tend to think that Kreider does a bit better when he's on the puck more often rather than letting his teammates do the work, and maybe that's part of the issue. When a guy has the puck a lot it looks like he's dominating. Thing is that I'm also not sure Kreider's game is built for him to always play like that, I don't think it comes totally naturally to him.

Whether or not it comes naturally to him is utterly meaningless. He gets paid millions of dollars to play his best, not to do what only comes natural to him.

Yes, every player has ups and downs, but no one in the league has a bigger gap between his highs and lows. He is the only Rangers player that ever totally outshines his teammates. A professional should have figured out how to most effectively play, by now. People used to tell me oh he's a rookie. Then it was he's only slightly removed from being a rookie. Then it was oh, he's still young.

He's 27, now and some fans still tell us that this will be his breakout year. Maybe it will be, but even if it does, how many years have passed without us seeing what he is capable over the course of a season.

If I didn't think he could be a force that every other team was always aware of, I wouldn't care. People here bitch and moan about Marc Staal. He has the excuse of being battered by time and a severe eye injury. How fans could routinely ridicule him and champion Kreider is pathetic, to me.

Reactions: NYR94

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Funny, two of our most promising young players had good games in a win and all that's written here is negativity about who sucked.

I actually think its been mostly positive. The first 10 pages were pretty positive and as you get further into a PGT, there's more debates. Nothing wrong with that

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
We won!! Cool, what day do I get to have the cup??

Seriously, game one of the preseason, anyone trashing or gushing on a player needs to level out here, time will tell. I do have to say Lias looked good though.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The second preseason game can't come soon enough so we can get rid of the stench that surrounds this first preseason win.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
On a positive note:

In game action Lias' skating seemed much improved from last season. Post game he talked about his main focus in the off season was to work on his explosiveness and acknowledged that last season he wouldn't have had the burst to score that first goal.

That was Lias pulling away from Hischier and Hall chasing him, two fast guys. Last season he gets caught.

I think it needs to be acknowledged that his biggest critique since being drafted, his poor acceleration, is already seeing vast improvement in just his second training camp. That's great news.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
I’m just happy it’s hockey time and that AV is gone. Is Quinn from Brooklyn or Staten Island? LOL

Ready to drink some beers at MSG tomorrow!!!

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

Really? You've described a ton of very good NHLers. Guys like Guerin, Langenbrunner, Primeau, etc.. Hell, a bunch of those types of players have been Rangers in the past. Kovalev, Nedved, Nash, etc.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Which is what some of us have said all along. Skating can be fixed. I will say this:

Lias is good at the things you cannot teach and needs the improve in the things you can teach

Actually most said he was either just tired or those saying he couldn’t skate were biased against Swedes.

Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->