Prussian_Blue's 2007 Mock Draft Selection Thread

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
With the 207thoverall selection in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, the Anaheim Ducks are pleased to select, from Salmon Arm of the BCHL Ben Winnett.

:devils

With the 208thoverall selection in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, the Anaheim Ducks are pleased to select, from Harvard of the NCAA, Center Kevin Du.

:ducks

Cup has been PMed

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Per PM...

With the 209th overall selection in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, the Detroit Red Wings are pleased to select, from the Compuware Midgets, center Trevor Nill.

:wings

Buffalo (BritSabre) is on the clock with the last pick of this draft.

Many thanks to everyone for their participation. This has been a blast; we'll do it again next year.

P_B

:bb:

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
With the 210th and final selection in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, the Buffalo Sabres are pleased to bring the draft to close by selecting, from St. Paul's High School of the New Hampshire High School League, RW Cameron Lanoue.

:sabres

Thanks to everyone who participated, allowing me to dodge revision and whatnot, especially those who decided to stick it out to the end!

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Thanks to everyone who was in this draft, esspecially those who stuck it out. And as always congrats to PB who did an excellent job running it again, thank you.

I posted this on the Kings board already, but here is my anaylsis of my picks for those who are interested.

My first move was to trade down with Columbus. I acquired picks #7, #37, #53 from Columbus for the #4, #82, #136. This gave me 4 2nd rounders and lots of options there, not to mention that I got the guy I had been targeting at #4 anyways.

#7 LW James Van Riemsdyk
US National Development Program - U-18
6'3'' 200lbs
42-33-30-63

With Turris, Kane, Voracek all off the board, I decided to trade down hoping that Van Riemsdyk would slip. He fortunatly did. A power forward in the making, JVR has all the skills neccessary to become a dominating power forward in the NHL. A no nonense player, he is not afraid to play a chippy, in your face game. Needs to work on consistancy, but with his size and mindset he should have no problem playing a 3rd line role in the future if his offense does not develop as expected. Committed to the University of New Hampshire for next year.

#37 D Colby Cohen
Lincoln Stars - USHL
6'2'' 200lbs
53-13-47-60

A high risk, high reward player, Cohen has fantastic skills. He is a very good skater and is blessed with a very good offensive instincts. Has a very good shot and passes really well, while being an elite PP QB. His size and willingness to play physical make him a very solid prospect. His defensive zone coverage stills needs work and there might be an attitude problem seeing as how he dropped out of the USNDP very early on this year. Committed to Boston University for next year.

#52 G Tyson Sexsmith
Vancouver Giants - WHL
5'11'' 209lbs
51-1.79-.915

The Kings really do not need any more goaltenders in the system, but when Sexsmith was available late in the 2nd round, I could not resist taking him. I have him ranked as the top goalie available. He is calm well beyond his years, rarely being caught out of position. He came into the year as the #2, but refused to be stopped and claimed the starter's role for the Memorial Cup Champions Vancouver Giants. Will need to continue to work on his quickness, but has huge potential.

#53 C Akim Aliu
Sudbury Wolves - OHL
6'2'' 200lbs
53-20-22-42

Aliu is dominating ball of hate. He plays a very physical style and an agitating pest. He plays is your face all game and won't go away. Is always fast and hard on the forecheck, not afraid of anything. Willing to drop the gloves and do the little things neccessary to win on the ice. Has had many off-ice problems and has an attitude problem. However, if he can kick these problems at very least he should be at a solid 4th liner.

#56 C Zack Torquato
Erie Otters - OHL
6'0'' 195lbs
65-30-39-69

A strong competitor, Torquato is a very hard worker that gives it his all every shift. He has decent offensive upside, but needs to work on his defensive game if he is to take his game to the next level. Is a natural born leader, already wearing an A as a 17 year old on the rebuilding Erie Otters.

#108 D David Stich
Saint John Sea Dogs - QMJHL
6'2'' 205lbs
56-4-15-19

A hard working, hard hitting defenseman out of the Czech Republic, Stich is a very solid prospect and I was surprised to see him available this late in the draft. He plays a very sound game, making very few mistakes. Although he did not put up the offensive numbers this year, he does have the potential to put up good numbers.

#123 D Yakov Seleznev
Neftyanik Leninogorsk - Russian Div 1
6'2'' 187lbs
30-0-8-8

Another solid twoway defender, Seleznev is a very solid consistant defender who makes very few mistakes. Although he will never be much of an offensive presence, he uses solid positioning to help him be a very solid defensive player.

#153 C Milan Kytnar
VTJ Topolcalny - Slovakia U18
6'0'' 182lbs
53-37-54-91

A superior offensive talent, Kytnar had a coming out party at the the U-18's with 7pts in 6 games. Kytnar has also proved himself at a higher level with 11pts in 22 games in the Slovakian 2nd level. Has alot of potential, but with need alot of work to reach it.

#183 LW Matt Frattin
Fort Saskatchewan Traders - AJHL
5'11'' 185lbs
58-49-34-83

Frattin won the AJHL rookie of the year award after a very, very solid season with the folding Ft. Sask Traders. He has good speed and a superior release, but with need to prove himself at the next level to be considered a viable prospect yet. Committed to Boston College next year.

#187 C Marcel Mueller
Berlin Polar Bears - GER
6'4'' 214lbs
36-1-7-8

The big german center was passed over in last year's draft, but he still has the skills neccessary to eventually become a NHLer. He needs alot of work on his skating and overall development, but he could eventually become a player.

The more I look at the draft, the less I see it being like the Kings draft. Several guys stand out as definatly not DL type guy(Cohen, Aliu). But I made the selections based on whom I felt was the best player left on the board. Some however I feel are DL type players(Van Riemsdyk, Torquato, Stich) and would be solid selections. If the Kings came out with this draft I would be happy(except maybe the Aliu selection, which I do now regret).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Thanks everyone. Had a great time.

My draft review:

Started with #14, #44, #48, #55, #88, #104, #134, #204

Trade #14 and #55 for #11 and #101 so I could move up to take Petrecki. The guy I traded with said that's who he was going to take if he didn't trade.

Traded #104 for #127 and 136

Traded #48 for #54 and 120

1/11 Nick Petrecki, D, Omaha Lancers, USHL: Wash shopped their pick, I wanted to move up for Alzner but he wasn't interested. I made offers to trade up for Petro as high up as 8 and had another agreement in principal to move up to #13. Anyway Dave told me he would have picked.

I also offered the #14 and #48 for #11 and #71, but Dave took the other deal. Even then I would have taken Patterson at #71 and used the #88 to trade down so it worked out

2/44 T.J. Galiardi, C, Dartmouth College Big Green, ECAC: figure this is a realistic pick for the Avs. As a teammate of Jones T.J.'s been scouted by the Avs and probably had some looks in the AJHL. Late bloomer, but that also means he's a year older. Doesn't have to be Top 6 to be useful.

2/54 Drayson Bowman, LW, Spokane Chefs: blatant homer pick, but then again our last 2nd round homer pick worked out well. Realistically Bowman could be useful as a forechecker.

3/88 Kent Paterson, G, Cedar Rapids Rough Riders USHL: I would have probably picked him at #55 had I not made the trade held my breath for 34 picks. Given the Avs of late bias for college boy and the longer development curve for goalies sounds like something they would do. Pat has another year in the USHL and no college commiment that I know of (Minnesota boy...) so that would give him plenty of time on the vine.

4/101 Harri Illvonen, D, Tappara Tampere Finland: Was tabbed for the 2nd round but his stock slipped, looked like a good gamble for the 4th round. Does plenty of things well especially skating. I figure Hampson will get us a few Europicks.

4/120 Artem Dubinin, D/C, Lada Togliatti of Russia: Dropped from his expected 1st round status of last year. Intriging package though skilled and 6'6" (I'm sure someone will call me a Size Queen on this one.) My personal bias I like that he's played forward and D. opens up possibilities of salvaging him as a forward or a swingman if he can't play D full time.

4/127 Nikolai Lukyanchikov, D, Dynamo Moscow of Russia: Accordin to Dater the Avs really like the new Moscow scout and I expect at least a flier on a Russian. like what I've heard of Luke, mobile and as strong as an ox.

5/134 Josh Unice, G, USNTP, commited to Miami CCHA: Another college goalie so more development time, scouting seems to like USNTP lately. Increases odds of a goalie prospect out of this draft. was accidentaly drafted again, so that's a compliment.

5/136 Simon Lacroix, D, Shawinigan Cataractes QMJHL: A nod to our Xaiver Martel design. Sounds like a good risk.

7/194 Jesse Jykkio, D, Assat Pori, Finland: The Avs seem to have an eye for puck-movers so will probably take a flier on one late a la Cumiskey. I had Robin Olsson higher on the list, but coughed him up as a nominee because I liked Jykkio better (Assat is my favorite Fin team).

As for missed opportunities: I probablywould have gone for Shattenkirk or Sutter if I had been locked into the 14th pick. I had Goncharov as my back up on the 3rd rounder (he went between Paterson and Illvonen).

I really wanted Jonathan Carrier (another Martel) from Gatineau, he sounds like 2nd round talent dropping because of injury. I was looking for him in the 4th but ATL scooped him up in the 3rd.

I was about 50/50 between Jykkio and Stephan Lund for that last pick. Tyler gron was after them.

All that, I will be shocked if Giggy makes all 8 of the picks we currently posses either trading for vets or moving up. I doubt he'd trade for more picks like I did.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Great draft reviews, LA and Colorado... you guys had two of the best drafts here, in my book.

I'd encourage everyone who hasn't already done so, to submit a review of their draft for this thread. I'm working on mine now.

Thanks again, y'all...

P_B

:bb:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Caps draft recap:

5th - Sam Gagner

Alzner and JVR were still on the board but the Caps are fine on the wing and need to get older not younger on the blueline. Gagner gives the Caps a second-line center, a potential leader in the future and a player with terrific vision and playmaking ability. There are no doubt questions about Gagner but putting him on a line in the future with Alexander Semin should help minimize them.

28th - Traded for the 38th & 129th picks

In hindsight, keeping the pick and taking Eller would have been the smart choice. I assumed he'd be off the board before then.

34th - James O'Brien

O'Brien saw his stock drop this year but nonetheless got in a year of development. The Caps organization are in a position to take the long view when drafting since they've already amassed so many prospects over the last five years. O'Brien was a versatile player for Minnesota this past year as the youngest player in the NCAA.

38th - Teddy Ruth

A great character guy that seems focused, driven and mature for his add. Max Pacioretty was still available here and would have been a better value pick at that point but I went for defense. He's headed to Notre Dame.

45th - Stefan Legein

Legein's consistency and willingness to battle are pretty endearing. Size is somewhat of a concern but if the heart is there he'll make it in some role.

94th - Brendan Smith

You'll quickly begin to notice two things about my draft preferences: the vast majority are NCAA-bound and will take quite a few years before they're ready. In a stronger draft, this strategy would be more difficult and less tempting to execute. But with this draft being fairly weak overall and with the Caps in a position where they don't have to rush their youth (help for next year has to come from outside the organization with more experienced players), this strategy will hopefully pay off in a big way when we look back 5-7 years from now. The other advantage is the Caps can either let these guys develop for three or four years before signing them or allow them to go pro early. That flexibility can come in handy.

Smith has drawn comparisons to Scott Hannan but is pretty raw. He's headed to Wisconsin.

124th - Will Weber

A late-season draft riser. This guy isn't even ranked by CSS but he's got terrific upside in a defenseman and the raw skill to be a draft riser. He was picked 1st overall in last month's USHL draft, where he could put up a season similar to Derrick LaPoint's (a 4th round selection in '06) this past year. He's headed to Miami of Ohio in '08-'09.

129th - Brad Malone

Malone's numbers weren't great this year but the Caps could use more size and a power forward's touch to compliment their skilled players. If Malone doesn't mature into top 6 material, perhaps a third- or fourth-line role will be more up his alley. He's headed to North Dakota.

184th - Joshua Turnbull

Hockey sense is key and Turnbull has 'it'. I was suprised he fell to the seventh round and snapped him up without hesitation. He's headed to Wisconsin as well.

198th - Patrick Cullen

Here's what I wrote about Cullen after taking him:

"The Caps go with a local kid in Cullen, who led his team in scoring and finished 9th in league scoring. Cullen was selected with the fourth overall selection in last month's USHL draft by the Indiana Ice, where he'll play next year before heading off to RPI."

Cullen was coached by former Capital defenseman Mark Tinordi. This would mark the third time in five years where the Caps have taken a local DC-area player in the draft. In '06, the Caps selected Luke Lynes at the end of the fourth round. Lynes moved to Ellicot City, MD at age 11 and played locally. The Caps also took Marylander Stephen Werner in the third round in '03.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Prussian_Blue, this mock draft is incredible, my uncle (AHL Scout) was amazed by this draft. I really wanted to be in it but i wasnt amember then, but hats off to this.

P.S. If you are hosting another one, I'll be in it, you really know how to host a mock draft.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Patting myself on the back, I called two Avs picks albeit higher (Galiardi and Patterson). I called the draft strategy wrong. Giggy did trade down in the low rounds for more picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad