Provorov

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He can’t officially sign an extension until July 1st. He’s an RFA & they obviously like him so I doubt it’s really going to be a tough negotiation.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah locking him up for his 22-29 year old seasons will be nice.

Not so nice having to re-sign 29 year old Provy.

Provy will be good until hes in his late 30s. Im sure of it.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Just hope they don’t get crazy with AAV. There are still comparables and his scoring is capped by the PP. We love him, they love him, but be fair.

I like the precedent of Ghost’s contract though!

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Just hope they don’t get crazy with AAV. There are still comparables and his scoring is capped by the PP. We love him, they love him, but be fair.

Gostisbehere and Provorov are going to be pretty cash hungry by the time they're due for UFA. Poor guys...

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The term is going to be very interesting to me. Of course you pay more for 8, but if there was one guy they loved enough to do it for...

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Among perceived high-end young D who did not bridge, the only recent one to get an 8 year deal was Ekblad.

Slavin and Klingberg got 7, but the latter signed a ridiculous bargain the day ink went to paper.

The recent trend is to go 6 (Lindblom, Rielly, Ristolainen, Jones), but I definitely could see them liking him enough to go for the full monty.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

$5 or $5.5 would be glorious

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The way I think about RFA contracts is, does that player have a reasonable chance of exceeding it in value or is that number closer to his ceiling? Are you paying for realistic potential that you run the risk of NOT paying for?

Hypothetically (because this would never happen) if we bridged Provorov, would you run the risk of him suddenly becoming worth at or more than $7 mil in tangible on-ice value (he'd still be an RFA)? Would he hit 50+ points? Be a Norris finalist? Think Subban. I don't see it tbh; I think he basically sticks to the same player he is -- same scoring, same usage -- just with better underlying numbers, not that those matter in contracts. And that's a helluva player. And that doesn't remove the possibility he has a down scoring year too at some point. Ghost and Sanheim are more talented offensively, and if they can have one, so can he. But I'll be curious to see what Hanifin and Werenski get. The precedents already mentioned (Lindholm, Jones), aren't making close to $7 mil, even if they're on 6 year deals.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Watching Provorov this season, I think he has a lot more upside left.
Last year he was adjusting to the NHL and focusing on defense first.
This year he's been stretching his offensive game, carrying the puck more, spending time deep in the O-zone and shooting. He's on a 34 ES point pace in his 2nd season, after 25 as a rookie.
However, his defensive game, especially his focus, seems to have suffered from that increased focus on offense.

The next two seasons I'd expect him to integrate both aspects of his game, improve his shot, and his feel for offensive flow and take a step up to the elite level. He has a chance to be a special two-way defenseman who excels over all 200 feet. 30-40 ES points a year plus whatever PP points he can garner on PP2.

But RFA deals come in well under FA deals, so I'd think they could get him for 8 years, $6M or so.
I'd certainly lock him up, I think his downside is what we already have seen from him, and that's a $4-5M RFA, so chances of a significant overpay are small.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Oh I think there's offensive flair in there that we haven't seen yet, that's why I asked the question about his contract status

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
8 years for about 7MM. If you can get him to 6.5MM that would be great, I'd be happy with 7MM. Honestly I'd be happy with ANY number. I don't care, keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->