Provorov vs Chabot vs McAvoy vs Werenski

Best player?

• Total voters

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I pick McAvoy. He's good offensively and defensively, bordering on "great" for both.

Chabot is a close second, by far the best offensively (probably elite), but not good defensively. If he improves his defense at all this season he'd pass McAvoy for me.

Werenski and Provorov clearly behind today.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
I don't disagree. I think Chabot is a more impactful player, though.

IMO their roles are hard to compare.

We haven't seen McAvoy play a full season yet either.

Chabot has next to no supporting cast and he literally has to do everything himself. So in that sense i agree he has more impact and a much bigger role.

On the other side McAvoy has an amazing supporting cast and a ton of options therefore he doesn't need to take as much risk(no need to carry the puck end to end the way Chabot does on a regular basis).

If Chabot played for the Bruins he most likely wouldn't take as much risk compared to playing Ottawa.

Could McAvoy do the same in Ottawa if he they swapped places? I don't know and we'll never know which makes it hard to compare. The only time you see McAvoy taking risk is if the Bruins are down in the 3rd period.

*NOTE/EXTRA: Even though McAvoy plays a ton of minutes he's limited to the 2nd power play unit which gets very little ice time. McAvoy generally impacts the game with a big hit, breaking up a play in the defensive zone or stopping a 2 on 1. We'll only see MvAvoy's full potential(offensively) when/or if Krug leaves the Bruins.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It's between Chabot and McAvoy.

Chabot was very impressive offensively, which can be easier to do on a bad team.

Having a high Corsi For %, but giving up a lot of 2 on 1s when your aggression screws up flies a lot more on a bad team than a good team.

I KNOW if their situations were reversed he would be reigned in if he was in Boston.

I don't know if McAvoy would be able to create more good things if he was allowed to take more risk in Ottawa.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Chabot's a clear level above the rest here, 55 points in 70 games is pretty ridiculous at 21 years old. I love McAvoy's game though, will be a solid #1 dman for years to come for Boston, but Chabot's a guy who will contend for the Norris.

Reactions: jehkob and dood

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
All fairly equal though it's hard for me to evaluate Werenski as he's the only here that's been paired with a Norris-caliber partner for most of his career.

I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves with Chabot. He's going to be a good defenseman but the production is probably somewhat buoyed by him being one of the only decent players left on Ottawa. It's like the years when Streit was putting up 50 points as Philly's only top-4 defenseman; somebody has to get them.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
All fairly equal though it's hard for me to evaluate Werenski as he's the only here that's been paired with a Norris-caliber partner for most of his career.

I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves with Chabot. He's going to be a good defenseman but the production is probably somewhat buoyed by him being one of the only decent players left on Ottawa. It's like the years when Streit was putting up 50 points as Philly's only top-4 defenseman; somebody has to get them.

I disagree, Chabot's been a big producer at every level he's played at, and he's played on good teams before coming to the NHL. The way he approaches the game isn't going to disappear as soon as the Sens land some better players. He can already at times completely control the play in the way that only stars can, and he's only 22. He's only going to get better.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Chabot. Just a tremendous contract for Ottawa.

This is the type of contract that makes you a contender down the road.

If it only was signed by another team.

McAvoy, Werenski and Provorov are all very comparable. Chabot is the only one that's a step above currently.

Which is pretty clear in the contracts they all signed this summer.

McAvoy is a physical 2way beast.

Don't feel the need to trade him for any of them.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Chabot is the most talented and McAvoy the most reliable. Then it's Werenski and Provorov a full tier below them. Chabot and McAvoy are already 1D's without question. All the these kids are gonna be great for their respective clubs.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I pick McAvoy. He's good offensively and defensively, bordering on "great" for both.

Chabot is a close second, by far the best offensively (probably elite), but not good defensively. If he improves his defense at all this season he'd pass McAvoy for me.

Werenski and Provorov clearly behind today.

I often feel like there's some unwritten rule on HF that if you're an elite offensive d-man, you must be bad defensively.

Chabot is definitely above average in his own zone. I've never seen him play and say "wow, he can't defend".

Reactions: dood

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I often feel like there's some unwritten rule on HF that if you're an elite offensive d-man, you must be bad defensively.

Chabot is definitely above average in his own zone. I've never seen him play and say "wow, he can't defend".

Well his stats say differently? As of last season he was bordering on elite offensively, and not good defensively.

I mean, Rielly looks good back there too but his stats say he's awful defensively. I'll stick with the unbias statistics over mine, or your eyes.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Well his stats say differently? As of last season he was bordering on elite offensively, and not good defensively.

I mean, Rielly looks good back there too but his stats say he's awful defensively. I'll stick with the unbias statistics over mine, or your eyes.

How much of that is team? The two you mentioned play for two of the worst defensive teams in hockey will McAvoy walked into an ideal situation. Put McAvoy on Ottawa and I bet people change their tune.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
How much of that is team? The two you mentioned play for two of the worst defensive teams in hockey will McAvoy walked into an ideal situation. Put McAvoy on Ottawa and I bet people change their tune.

Sure, but would McAvoy then be allowed to take the risks that Rielly and Chabot get to take to pick up points? You can't only give unearned credit to the guys that play in offensive systems.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Chabot. Just a tremendous contract for Ottawa.

This is the type of contract that makes you a contender down the road.

Funny but the OP said

"What are the rankings excluding contracts"

He has a great avatar as well.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I have a tough time getting a read on Chabot but mostly that's because any time I watch The Sens they look like a hot mess and really unstructured. Not sure how his game would translate onto a better disciplined team. But that's on me.

I 'trust' McAvoy the most out of that group to be the most consistent impactful player but hoping Provorov finds his game again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad