Proposal: Providence Games on NESN

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Any chance of getting NESN to broadcast P-Bruins games on NESN or nesn plus? Has it ever been done?

If we start a petition maybe they'll do this for playoff games, now that the Bruins won't be on, im sure Bruins fans would watch if it was made available

:laugh: if you think NESN will allow this to happen. Look for more Red Sox programing like what kind of food do these guys eat

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Go on change.org. start an online petition. Be an would #?!@$ about cost. But they could probably produce it with graduate students and a shoestring budget.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Doubt it. The AHL seems to depend on internet streaming - you can pay to get AHL games (including playoffs). It's $8 per live game, $4 per archived game (don't know how many days later), $65 to watch away games for your team, and $130 to watch all games for your team.

And if you're saying, "Wow, that's ridiculously expensive. I may as well drive down to Providence and go to the games at the Dunk!", well....that's the point. You can get a 48 pack of tickets - 40 flex for next year, 4 "normal tickets" to the opener next October, and 4 playoff tickets for this year - for less than $11 apiece. You also get 4 preseason tickets (not the Black/Gold scrimmage).

Plus, the NHL wants you to watch the Bruins. They want your second choice of hockey to be "whichever NHL teams happen to be on NHL Network/NBCSN", not the Providence Bruins.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
PBruins have not been on NESN since the early 2000's when Laviolette was coaching. They would run a Friday night game once or twice a month, and they ran the Calder Cup final game in 99. I would think it would take another Calder Cup appearance for them to do that, and it would probably have to be on a night the Sawks weren't playing.

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
They used to have AHL games from different New England arenas in the 90's. Fox Sports New England showed quite a bit of Hartford too if I remember correctly. So yes it has been done...but I don't see it happening again unless Providence made it to the Final or something.

Took me a while to find proof on youtube but here's one:

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
And if you're saying, "Wow, that's ridiculously expensive. I may as well drive down to Providence and go to the games at the Dunk!", well....that's the point. You can get a 48 pack of tickets - 40 flex for next year, 4 "normal tickets" to the opener next October, and 4 playoff tickets for this year - for less than $11 apiece. You also get 4 preseason tickets (not the Black/Gold scrimmage).

Wow, that is an AMAZING deal!!! I'm thinking of going the 10 game season ticket route for 2015/16. But admittedly I have only been to 2 or 3 P Bruins games in the last 15 years. Im gonna try and catch a playoff game before plunging for a 10 pack.

What are people's general perspective on the P Bruins experience?? Seating? Food? Crowd? Worth the 55 minute drive from the Cape? Looks like a majority of home games ar on Friday nights which is cool.

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Wow, that is an AMAZING deal!!! I'm thinking of going the 10 game season ticket route for 2015/16. But admittedly I have only been to 2 or 3 P Bruins games in the last 15 years. Im gonna try and catch a playoff game before plunging for a 10 pack.

What are people's general perspective on the P Bruins experience?? Seating? Food? Crowd? Worth the 55 minute drive from the Cape? Looks like a majority of home games ar on Friday nights which is cool.

I went a few times when Boychuk was a pup, and liked the experience - but I haven't been in awhile because traffic has absolutely been terrible on Fridays and Sundays. (I think historically the P-Bruins pretty much only play home games then.)

Seating was comfy enough, but again, it's hazy memories from about 6 or 7 years ago. With Flex Tix, you're at the mercy of an octogenarian at the box office to find you a good seat that hasn't been sold. Pretty sure you can only turn in Flex Tix on the day of the game.

I was never motivated enough to figure out which seats were "good" - and IIRC, I got seated by the penalty box a few times, which for me is a little annoying because of having to look through two or three panes of glass. (Four panes if I'm not wearing my contacts.) I've often thought that whoever made the algorithms for finding the "best seat" must be slightly brain-damaged, but we all have our little quirks: I actually DON'T like seats on the aisle, as I'm usually able to hold in my beer for 20 minutes of play, and would rather not be the "doorman" to let the entire row go in and out of the aisle. I don't mind it, but I'd rather give the aisle to someone who's gonna use it.

As far as food, I recall it being standard overpriced stadium food. They had Dippin Dots when I went there, and I felt smart for knowing that they are the most horrid food conceived by man.

The crowd seemed into the game. Never had problems with rowdy crowds there, but I'm good at ignoring most things that annoy me. I didn't recall seeing too many "spoked Ps" in the stands like you see at the Garden, but I could be wrong. I seem to recall quite a few kiddies, which makes sense given that the games are on Friday night and Sunday afternoon, and are pretty darn cheap.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
They used to have AHL games from different New England arenas in the 90's. Fox Sports New England showed quite a bit of Hartford too if I remember correctly. So yes it has been done...but I don't see it happening again unless Providence made it to the Final or something.

Fred Cusick did Lowell games in the late 90's

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
I went a few times when Boychuk was a pup, and liked the experience - but I haven't been in awhile because traffic has absolutely been terrible on Fridays and Sundays. (I think historically the P-Bruins pretty much only play home games then.)

Seating was comfy enough, but again, it's hazy memories from about 6 or 7 years ago. With Flex Tix, you're at the mercy of an octogenarian at the box office to find you a good seat that hasn't been sold. Pretty sure you can only turn in Flex Tix on the day of the game.

I was never motivated enough to figure out which seats were "good" - and IIRC, I got seated by the penalty box a few times, which for me is a little annoying because of having to look through two or three panes of glass. (Four panes if I'm not wearing my contacts.) I've often thought that whoever made the algorithms for finding the "best seat" must be slightly brain-damaged, but we all have our little quirks: I actually DON'T like seats on the aisle, as I'm usually able to hold in my beer for 20 minutes of play, and would rather not be the "doorman" to let the entire row go in and out of the aisle. I don't mind it, but I'd rather give the aisle to someone who's gonna use it.

As far as food, I recall it being standard overpriced stadium food. They had Dippin Dots when I went there, and I felt smart for knowing that they are the most horrid food conceived by man.

The crowd seemed into the game. Never had problems with rowdy crowds there, but I'm good at ignoring most things that annoy me. I didn't recall seeing too many "spoked Ps" in the stands like you see at the Garden, but I could be wrong. I seem to recall quite a few kiddies, which makes sense given that the games are on Friday night and Sunday afternoon, and are pretty darn cheap.

Good info. Thanks.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Worth it for get your fix in May when the Big B's have been golfing all spring!

In the winter though you might wanna check out Schneider Arena and the national champion Friars before you buy that season ticket I was hooked the first time I went to a game there nice small intimate arena with a good atmosphere much better than the dunk :yo:.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
But I would love Providence Bruins playoff games on NESN + in years we miss the playoffs or are eliminated.

Nesn would generate a lot of good PR for themselves if they did this for the fanbase. They do a really nice job with Hockey East and I always throw their Hockey East games on one of my other TVs to try and follow it since I don't get to many games these days. Absolutely nothing to lose by doing this.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Any chance of getting NESN to broadcast P-Bruins games on NESN or nesn plus? Has it ever been done?

If we start a petition maybe they'll do this for playoff games, now that the Bruins won't be on, im sure Bruins fans would watch if it was made available

I doubt it would be financially viable. I'd watch, but I don't think most B's fans would care about the baby-B's. Also, see comment above regarding AHL revenue model.

Last edited:

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014

There always seemed to be plenty of seats available, and I found the seating to be more comfortable at the Dunk than at the Garden. They always seem to have matinee games, which are a very kid-friendly event. I enjoy the games there, though the atmosphere in there is a little dry -- the Monarchs & Sharks (R.I.P.) had more audio-visual fan interaction to help augment the game, as opposed to the recurring tape-loop of an electric piano playing "Lets Go Bru-ins".

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
The kiddies have taken over the Dunk, that's the biggest problem. Bratley, Bratanella and their parents lose interest in the game eight minutes in and start an endless parade to the concession stand during play. You ask nicely for them to wait for a whistle, and you get blank stares because they can't believe a living breathing thing is talking to them at this sporting event put on for them alone when they've been taught that only they and their spawn truly exist.

Playoffs is a different story however, at least in the first few rounds. Only the hardcores show up. No group sales, no children bleating and screeching that sucky Imagine Dragons song with a maxed up mike between periods, fewer idiots asking dumb questions like "When is the shootout starting?" etc.

Malt

Jul 6, 2007
Providence, RI
The kiddies have taken over the Dunk, that's the biggest problem. Bratley, Bratanella and their parents lose interest in the game eight minutes in and start an endless parade to the concession stand during play.

Absolutely 100% true. A huge issue, especially in the 200 section. There are scheduled breaks for ice scrapes yet no one thinks twice about standing in front of you so they can get a $7 popcorn or whatever...

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Absolutely 100% true. A huge issue, especially in the 200 section. There are scheduled breaks for ice scrapes yet no one thinks twice about standing in front of you so they can get a $7 popcorn or whatever...

It's no better in 100's trust me. I've thought about switching my seats to the the 200's just above the section entrances because at least it's high enough you won't get obstructed totally. But I do not want to give up my seats and the relationships I've fostered with the true fans who've been around me for 16 plus years. People are just so rude nowadays.

They've Fenwayized the place, basically. The game is secondary to the fan cam, the music, the everything else.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Honestly not a bad idea. They should actually do this during the few days the Boston Bruins aren't playing. I'd watch them.

Here in Worcester they have a few games a year on one of the local channels, but it isn't really effective since the people who would watch the game on TV are usually the ones in the stands for those games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad