"Proud affiliate...."

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Perhaps my most nitpicky post ever, not that I've made all that many - but has anyone else observed that virtually every news release made by an ECHL franchise includes the phrase "proud affiliate of"?

Is this something that is mandated by the ECHL or is every ECHL franchise so proud of their affiliation that the feel they must proclaim that sense of pride with virtually every news release. Seems to me that the practice is at best rote and at worst disingenuous.

Do they hope to gain some sort of added credibility by proclaiming their affiliations at every opportunity? I would think that fans of the team who might seek out these types of news releases would already know of their affiliations.

Sorry, this just bugs me. Be proud of yourselves, your team, your community and your fans.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I always thought that it's been a silly phrase.

Is it opposed to being "an embarrassed affiliate" or a "shy affiliate"?

I suppose it's better than "we're a damn happy affiliate". But not by much.

When the Pee Dee Pride were around, then it would have served a purpose. "The Pride are the Proud affiliate of...".:D Maybe it came from that? I don't know.

speedrissr

Jun 3, 2014
Standard PR BS, truly it depends on who you're affiliating with. More than at the AHL level, you're at the mercy of your affiliate. Especially if your affiliation includes a mandatory goalie spot.

Al?

RLR

spitshockey81

Jan 27, 2013
I think it's essentially the same as name dropping. Kind of like, hey we are related to said parent club so we are doing something legit and are credible. Sometimes people don't realize how skilled the athletes at the levels of the minor pros are in the grand scheme of things, so it lends some credibility also

StingraysFan

Jun 20, 2014
It may be a contractual obligation from the NHL/Affiliate. Its basically free advertisement for the NHL Affiliate and may be part of the contract.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Since the cost tot he ECHL team for the affiliation is so great, i think it is a polite way of justifying why they are paying so much.

Pretty much. It's as much advertising and legitimizing the team as it is an opportunity to get players. Most affiliations at the ECHL level don't send many players, and some are detrimental come playoff time if the AHL club has injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad