Protests/Riots in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Hard to keep this discussion out. The economic impact of the pandemic is absolutely part of why this blew up like it did.

As far as I'm concerned, the Minneapolis riots would've happened without Covid. But you have a point.

Reactions: longtime lurker

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Hard to keep this discussion out. The economic impact of the pandemic is absolutely part of why this blew up like it did.
I respectfully disagree.

Yes the economic impact of the pandemic was almost certainly a factor, but the discussion of systemic racism and arguing that certain races are more likely to commit violent crimes has nothing to do with coronavirus. Then there's the ensuing discussion about press coverage, which is about the media coverage and if it's "fair" and has very little to do with coronavirus.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
And that's due to socioeconomics. If youd like a history lesson on what has happened in the past I'd be more than happy to provide it. This issue is much deeper rooted than stats can point out. American history is very sickening when it comes to its treatment of black people, and it didnt end when slavery ended or segregation ended.
Better look around the world.
Black in the US isn't a bad place to be.

Reactions: Red Stanley

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Minnesota National Guard to be fully mobilized; Walz said 80 percent of rioters not from MN
The Minnesota governor is fully mobilizing the state’s national guard, something that hasn’t been done since World War II.
Speaking Saturday morning after Minneapolis and St. Paul saw the fourth night of violent riots where more buildings were set ablaze, Walz said rioters “are not with us.”
“If you are on the streets tonight, it is very clear: you are not with us, you do not share our values and we will use the full strength of goodness and righteousness to make sure that this ends.”
Walz said the people producing the violent riots are 20 percent Minnesotans and 80 percent from the outside.

This pisses me right off!

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Better look around the world.
Black in the US isn't a bad place to be.
The discussion is revolving around black people committing more crime in America. The reason for that is deeply rooted in our history which was a driving factor in creating the socioeconomic landscape we see today.

If you'd like to use the rest of the world to prove socioeconomics has an impact on crime, then that would be on topic, but just saying black people dont have it nearly as bad as other people in different countries is straying off topic. It's important we stay on topic and discuss it in detail because racial tension is something that has lingered in this country for centuries, so understanding why we are where we are is important to implement changes. Of course, we're on a f***ing hockey forum, so what type change is actually possible? Haha

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
i heavily doubt it'll be anywhere near 80%
Every single person in St.Paul arrested over looting/rioting last night was out of State... every single one.

You look out in these neighborhoods now... people are out in the THOUSANDS cleaning things up. The people who live there are not doing this. They don't want this. You can't tell me that it's the locals burning, then the locals coming back to clean when the sun comes up.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario

why can another thread not be made to talk about this? It’s flooding out the COVID talk which what this was made for.

Reactions: TaLoN

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
Every single person in St.Paul arrested over looting/rioting last night was out of State... every single one.

You look out in these neighborhoods now... people are out in the THOUSANDS cleaning things up. The people who live there are not doing this. They don't want this. You can't tell me that it's the locals burning, then the locals coming back to clean when the sun comes up.

i'm sure there are some agent provocateurs. guess we'll find out soon enough

Reactions: TaLoN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->