Equipment: Protective socks.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The Karlsson incident got me a little scared about protecting my feet and legs more. I heard Kevlar socks are horrible though.

Can someone tell me what kind of socks are being described in this article? Sounds like something I might be interested in.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/20130216technology-cuts-skate-injuries-nhl.html

Thepandamancan

Jun 6, 2010
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BEPSS

This is just one example of kevlar sock on the market. I would say this isn't as comfortable as my other pairs (not sure what brand they are unfortuantely).

I never play ice without wearing these and am considering getting the wrist/arm protectors as well (I play goal and if I do play out, I fall a lot...especially when taking faceoffs)

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I use the Tuff N Lite version of the kevlar skate sock. Absolutely no reason for rec league players to not be wearing kevlar socks. I have not have had any issue with comfort, they are just as comfortable as the thin skate socks I wore before. And for you tough guys out there that are just too macho to plunk down $30 to protect yourself from injury just google achilles tear images, it literally looks as though you were bitten by a shark. If you don't think these are for you or you don't wear socks they also make kevlar hockey socks but they are much more expensive. The NHL should make these mandatory, you must use one or the other.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
hmm interesting, never considered these

30 is a bit steep for socks but it's one of the most devastating injuries you see out there so probably well worth it

i just don't know how the boys would react in a rookie league to a guy in kevlar socks lol

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Hmm, I've never considered these either. My shinguards have wrap around padding to cover the back of my leg though, I've been hit by pucks a couple of times and it still hurts anyway, but I think it would be at least cut resistant? Well, at the very least enough to prevent an Achilles laceration...

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
I use the Tuff N Lite version of the kevlar skate sock. Absolutely no reason for rec league players to not be wearing kevlar socks. I have not have had any issue with comfort, they are just as comfortable as the thin skate socks I wore before. And for you tough guys out there that are just too macho to plunk down $30 to protect yourself from injury just google achilles tear images, it literally looks as though you were bitten by a shark. If you don't think these are for you or you don't wear socks they also make kevlar hockey socks but they are much more expensive. The NHL should make these mandatory, you must use one or the other.

Same here, I have the Tuff n Lite wrist band and socks for playing in net. Won't go in net without them now.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

30 is a bit steep for socks but it's one of the most devastating injuries you see out there so probably well worth it

i just don't know how the boys would react in a rookie league to a guy in kevlar socks lol

They look like regular socks lol, some are yellow.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I'd just buy some Knee-High socks, grab a sharpie and write "Kevlar" on them and mass produce them and make a ****load of money.

Just wear knee-high socks, save yourself $28.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I don't play aggressive enough to put myself in a position to be lacerated.

Advice of the day, play like a wuss and save $30.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
The Karlsson incident got me a little scared about protecting my feet and legs more. I heard Kevlar socks are horrible though.

Can someone tell me what kind of socks are being described in this article? Sounds like something I might be interested in.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/20130216technology-cuts-skate-injuries-nhl.html

I wear both the skate socks with kevlar and hockey socks that have kevlar panels sown into the back of them.

Both are awesome and 100% NO DIFFERENT than normal socks.

I have 2 different brands of kevlar skate socks. One I ordered from hockey monkey and one i bought in Sport Chek (?) that came in a two pack.

Think these are them:

http://www.thehockeyshop.com/veba-kevlar-hockey-socks.html

So $15 a pair.

The hockey socks I have are made by First Star sports. They are basically the RBK socks with an extra fabric panel of kevlar.

No more expensive than normal hockey socks.

http://www.gladiatorsocks.com/

These are $44 through the link on the home page.

Last edited:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

You have to put it into perspective.

Breaking your wrist for example is bad. But you can still get around and do things. Go to work etc. Its also not going to really effect any others part of your body.

Now suffering a serious leg injury effects just about everything your do. You cant get around easily, maybe you have to miss work or school etc. And not being able to properly place your weight while walking will effect your knees, hip alignment and quite possibly your back. Thats without getting into the long term effects that injury can have on your life.

Karlsson of course will have the best care.

http://www.wtae.com/news/Teen-hocke...-in/-/9681432/18339430/-/4yifn2z/-/index.html

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Freak+injury+jeopardizes+Asltes+season/7573032/story.html

How many of your drunken beer league players will respond appropriately?

I work in health and safety and its not uncommon for people to dismiss something as too expensive without assessing the alternative costs based on severity of the incident and potential.

I can tell you now $30 is beans especially if a normal pair of decent socks is going to cost you $5. The $25 difference makes up for the potential loss if an injury does happen.

Last edited:

Thesensation19*

The incident got myself to believe that equipment is everything. Forget just performance. First comes comfort, but YOU HAVE TO PROTECT YOURSELF. It looks like the kevlar socks are just like any other socks and I will def buy it. 30-40 is steep but I think its important especially after seeing this. Maybe even some padding back there. Like a flap.

The Soviets were smart in their orgin of sports. They knew the importance of athletics was health and prevention of injury. Who cares how fast, strong, good you are if you are hurt... Thats why they were all forced to wear helmets. They looked weird but you heard less tragic stories.

And that idealogy should stand. Safety first. As a hockey player, you have to understand anything can happen and you have to protect the most fragile areas. Achilles, head, eyes... do your best to protect these.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I thought Tactics used to make hockey socks that were Kevlar as well as skate socks? I can't find them anymore. As for the price of the cut resistant socks-they also last a long time because they are cut resistant. Again though, amazing logic that an adult can think twice about spending $30 on socks without taking account having major surgery, maybe never walking the same again and maybe being out of work for up to a year. I'm no math major but I believe spending the $30 is a little bit cheaper than what might be behind Door #2.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I thought Tactics used to make hockey socks that were Kevlar as well as skate socks? I can't find them anymore. As for the price of the cut resistant socks-they also last a long time because they are cut resistant. Again though, amazing logic that an adult can think twice about spending $30 on socks without taking account having major surgery, maybe never walking the same again and maybe being out of work for up to a year. I'm no math major but I believe spending the $30 is a little bit cheaper than what might be behind Door #2.

Yeah is weird that there is a lack of cut resistant hockey socks.

I dont know if First Star is even making them still.

I fully expect though to see an influx of cut resistant items and im of the belief we will see cut resistant material included in padding, jerseys etc in the not to distant future.

Technology has adapted so much.

roffleburger

Dec 21, 2011

They still do, I bought them at my local hockey shop, although the guy who sold me them said that the majority of his buyers were speed skaters. $30 is nothing if it means prevent an injury such as Karlsson's :)

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Anyone ever had any close calls? I really haven't. Wouldn't mind trying some.

I dont know what constitutes a close call, but I've thought about this as I've looked over my gear.

My skates have more than a few marks in them where they've been sliced by skates, some as high as the top of the boot where another inch would have been above the skate. I've had laces sliced in half while playing. I've found my hockey socks sliced open over the shin pad, had it been on the back of the leg could have been a cut. So I guess I've had more than a few potential cuts if had been a little different location.

I run a pro shop, so I guess i have no excuse not to be wearing these, I sell them to parents all the time. I had a high school aged customer that had his achilles cut completely through by a skate. When he was able to skate again, the first purchase was kevlar socks.

We've had a couple incidents where adult leaguers have been cut by skates. Nothing as serious as an achilles, but cut open bad enough to have to call the medics and they got some serious stitching up.

So yes, it happens and cuts in general are not that uncommon, though very serious cuts like achilles are, thankfully, much less.

I'll probably have some of these on the next time I hit the ice. Just doesnt make sense not to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad