Protective gear for shinny

tenspeed

Sep 10, 2011
Will people think I'm a huge dork if I go to stick & pucks rocking a full set of equipment? I'm going to be a safe dork.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Will people think I'm a huge dork if I go to stick & pucks rocking a full set of equipment? I'm going to be a safe dork.

Depends on where you are I guess. Out here you have to wear full gear to do a skate and shoot session. I've been hit by errant pucks and sticks at those things more times than I could count, so I'd wear full gear either way.

tenspeed

Sep 10, 2011
Depends on where you are I guess. Out here you have to wear full gear to do a skate and shoot session. I've been hit by errant pucks and sticks at those things more times than I could count, so I'd wear full gear either way.

Thanks for the tip. I have a bird's chest so-to-speak so I'm definitely being cautious towards getting pegged right in the chest bones. Shoulderpads sound good to me. Plus, I'll look totally cool.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
I played a game today wearing my typical gear:

Tackla 3500 Overtime pants (about as light as Bauer one40s or Bentleys)
9K skates
5030 Shin pads
CCM v08 VN helmet
Easton Sy50 gloves (simple 4roll with nash and is light)

and this time some old softie elbow pads and forgot my "undershirt", rocking just my jersey

and man was that comfortable....

probably the most comfortable thing was the fact that it felt like I wasn't wearing anything on my arms and having cool wind on my body kept me going and going...

I think I'll keep wearing an undershirt, but I think I'll rock the softies and will only put on my shoulder pads (5030's at that) only for league games

Rink Bum

Aug 12, 2010
How old?

Well said and I completely agree! I've learned this the hard way over the past 6 months. I get a bruise anywhere from an impact more than once and that piece of equipment is getting upgraded for the reason you cited.

41 years young! Started playing since 37 and haven't looked back! Wish I started sooner.

I've also upgraded everything over the past year except shoulders and elbows.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
41 years young! Started playing since 37 and haven't looked back! Wish I started sooner.

I've also upgraded everything over the past year except shoulders and elbows.

Right on man. Just went from Bauer One80 pants to Tackla 9000's so hopefully that takes care of the hip pointers.

One more bruised thumb nail from a slash and the gloves are getting upgraded as well. I go light initially, but if I'm getting injured then I'm not worrying about a few ounces. Especially at this age it's about fun. Pain isn't fun and makes me not want to play so I'm on a mission to minimize it.

Glad to hear you started playing. I wish I never stopped, but it is what it is.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
Buy nice:
shin guards
elbow pads
gloves
skates.

the rest of the gear is just as effective as the old stuff. shoulder pads are good if you wear them, but if I'm playing a tough team I wear a padded RBK 9k shirt that offers more than just skin and bones.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Buy nice:
shin guards
elbow pads
gloves
skates.

the rest of the gear is just as effective as the old stuff. shoulder pads are good if you wear them, but if I'm playing a tough team I wear a padded RBK 9k shirt that offers more than just skin and bones.
Im going to disagree with you there and say that the HELMET is the most important piece of gear. You only get one brain and it can't heal. Followed by skates and elbows

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Buy nice:
shin guards
elbow pads
gloves
skates.

As was said above, a quality helmet for sure.

This one depends on your build, style of play, and how often/hard you hit the ice, but I would add pants to that list. I've worn mid level pants up until now(mid level Tackla, Lousville TPs, Bauer One80) and suffered numerous bone bruises to my hip bones and tailbone. I finally threw in the towel and ordered some top level Tackla 9000's.

Some guys never have issues low/mid level pants, but if you do a pro level pant can save you a lot of pain. At least I hope they can.:(

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I'd have to say my best investment (or deal) i should say are my Tackla 5000 Airs for $40. They have saved me numerous times from falls or the boards. I can literally land directly on my lower back or hip bone and feel nothing, get up and start skating again. Its like a freaking pillow. And they look like they can last for another 5 years.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
On a related gear note, in last night's Sharks/Yotes game, Colin White was wearing a huge half shield, bigger than I've ever seen before. It literally looked like one of those open face motorcycle helmet shields. The biggest half I've ever seen is the Oakley one that Dany Heatley wears. Anyone have any idea if there's a new larger half out there?

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
I think it depends on how good of a player you are and how good the players you are playing

I am not and prefer not to play with those who can't skate well, or stop under their own power... without the help of their sticks

Honestly, gloves are all about preference, and well armoured gloves are typically heavier... but I like using mine 9950 pro's because of the better clarino palms but also my lightweight Easton SY50's

I think the most important thing for shinny is at least a visor, cause at all the different skill levels, I've seen an accidental stick in that area (cage for those who prefer them)

but man... people who rock the big ole 11k shoulder/elbow pads, cages, mouth guard, M11 helmets to shinny, or non-contact hockey I think are nuts...

All the kids who are ex-pro or jr. players having the summer off that I've seen are like me...
Good gloves, Good skates, good shin pads, lightweight pants, and simple light helmet (maybe with or without visor)

A "high-end" helmet is not a must... there shouldn't be that situation where your body or head goes from moving to a complete stop in a non-contact game.
Its not like VN foam in a 4500 helmet or heck even a HT2 wouldn't be more than enough.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The thing with helmets is not about high or low end; it's about what fits the best. If all you fit well into is a high end EPP helmet, than that's the one you wear everywhere; shinny, pond, fun skate, whatever.

Same thing with 'low' end helmets with the VN foams. If that's the one you fit into the best and nothing else, then that's the one you'll be wearing playing fast-paced contact hockey.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
The thing with helmets is not about high or low end; it's about what fits the best. If all you fit well into is a high end EPP helmet, than that's the one you wear everywhere; shinny, pond, fun skate, whatever.

Same thing with 'low' end helmets with the VN foams. If that's the one you fit into the best and nothing else, then that's the one you'll be wearing playing fast-paced contact hockey.

Though I agree, and probably would still rock a HT2 if I could find one, if I were in the show? I'd probably use a Cascade, 11k or S19, 9500, though everyone elses rocks the 4500

I'm sure those old Jofa Bandy helmets, Lidstroms HT2, and Selanne's Jofa just don't compare to the new stuff

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
I completely agree with what was said in the last few posts for "shinny and no contact".

However, no check with contact is a different ball game. It can even be worse than full contact because IMO it gets chipier/dirtier. Guys use the stick vs. a clean legal hit.

It really depends on the guys your playing against. Friendly shinny and you aren't getting tackled in front of the net, punched in the head, skates kicked out from under you, and two handers to the forearms and gloves on a regular basis. So yeah a good helmet, top level pants, and wrist guards(I like short gloves) are a necessity if you don't want to get hurt. My teammate is out for months due to broken ribs sustained after being cross checked into the net from behind and hitting the crossbar. This is a no check league. Should he wear no shoulder pads or Sherwood 5030's for more mobility? Again, depends on what goes on in your pickup, league, etc.

In contrast, our friendly Sunday night shinny/pickup games and I could get away with cheap shoulder pads, pants, gloves, and helmet.

I realize the title of the thread is "shinny", but not everyone's definition of shinny is the same and the not everyone is playing against clean, level headed opponents. Protect yourself accordingly.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Colin whites always been rockin that bad boy, or at least since he last got hit in the face

Never seen one that big before. I saw another new one in the Canucks game last night. Oakley with a bigger curved shield and a flat area along the bottom edge in the middle.

I've always wondered why they just didn't make a taller half shield, basically, like the full clear cages, just the thinner plastic and without the bottom part and the thick top part/chin strap. I assumed it was because they couldn't get the thin plastic to be rigid enough when it got that large.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Nobody is taking notes on what helmet you're wearing out there. A guy on my team wears all pro stock gear (his brother works for an NHL team) and nobody notices, because it's understated.

If you want attention, you can get it easy...yellow laces, mirrored visor, flashy custom mitts, flopped tongues, jersey tucks, long lace belt on the pants, etc. But nobody's going to say "oh he's got X:60 pro mitts, he thinks he's awesome". Maybe 1 guy per team notices those things (and that's me).

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
do people really show up in shin guards under hockey socks and and breezers for pickup shinny? or is it usually just shinguards under regular sweatpants?

Me and the rest of the dudes I play with every Tuesday at organized pickup (shinny) all wear full equipment. The only things that MIGHT be missing from someone's set are shoulder pads or visor/cage/bowl. Everybody wears pants, shin pads, socks, elbow pads, and helmets at least.

TheLokNesMonster

Sep 11, 2005
St. Paul, Minnesota
I will wear anything to prevent any bruise or aches! Simple as that. FULL GEAR FOR ME!

They take way too long to heal at my age........and I can't go without my weekly hockey.
I have become a full gear convert for the exact same reason.

I don't play beer league anymore because of the late hours, and idiot factor, but I do play pick up. Even though the guys I play with are basically cool, they are still hockey players, and can be overly competitive and enthusiastic at times.

Lately I have been getting hurt every time I play. Hip, shoulder, ankles, etc. I used to wear bare minimum for pick up. Not anymore. I bought new pants, shoulders, shins, elbows, and helmet and cage. No contact means anything but no contact. I have to take a couple weeks off as I type this because of my last game, and I don't like it.

I'll take every precaution now to make sure I don't suffer an injury that could possibly have been prevented by wearing more and better protection. I hate missing hockey, and I hate missing sleep or struggling to walk up stairs because something hurts due to a sports injury.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad