Protecting the Players

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
With the seemingly endless amount of headhsots and pucks to the face. Is it not time for the owners to protect their players by making them wear face masks? Not just face masks but how about properly fitting helmets? It still amazes me that NFL players wear full face masks but NHL players do not. Should the owners of these teams not have a right to protect their investment in their players by having them fully protected?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The owners (NHL) have been requesting (since before the last CBA in 2005) to grandfather in mandated visors for all players. (IOW, new players coming into the league must wear visors.)

In part because it can help reduce their insurance costs.

But the players/NHLPA don't want to be forced to wear that protective geer.

IIRC, the number of players in the NHL wearing visors has been about 51% steady over the past few seasons.

The ECHL requires all players to wear visors.

(Heck, even the NHLOA just recently required helmets on all their guys. A few wear visors.)

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Proper helmets are rigid and heavy. Helmets designed to protect heads from the kind of impacts the NHL generates encapsulate the entire head.

The NFL mandated new helmet designs from the equipement manufacturers with little resistance.

The fact that there is not even a model availible or in developement suggests there is little interest at this time.

The Messier helmet is too small a step to be called an advancement.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
With the seemingly endless amount of headhsots and pucks to the face. Is it not time for the owners to protect their players by making them wear face masks? Not just face masks but how about properly fitting helmets? It still amazes me that NFL players wear full face masks but NHL players do not. Should the owners of these teams not have a right to protect their investment in their players by having them fully protected?

or we can remove all plastic on the shoulder/elbow pads,and get rid of the comp. sticks (that are equal to what aluminum bats would do in baseball).and remove the instigator rule and replace it with a "goon rule",which would let the players police themselves.
also lets remember that with 30 teams ....oh never mind.

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
Canadiens' Molson asks fellow NHL owners to help stop hockey violence

"We understand and appreciate hockey being a physical sport, but we do not accept any violent behaviour that will put the players' health and safety at risk," Molson wrote. "On this specific issue, I am asking for the support of the 29 other NHL owners to address urgently this safety issue. And I am willing to play a leadership role in co-ordinating this group effort.''

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadiens-molson-asks-fellow-nhl-owners-help-stop-20110310-135454-322.html

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The owners (NHL) have been requesting (since before the last CBA in 2005) to grandfather in mandated visors for all players. (IOW, new players coming into the league must wear visors.)

In part because it can help reduce their insurance costs.

But the players/NHLPA don't want to be forced to wear that protective geer.

IIRC, the number of players in the NHL wearing visors has been about 51% steady over the past few seasons.

The ECHL requires all players to wear visors.

(Heck, even the NHLOA just recently required helmets on all their guys. A few wear visors.)

As does the AHL.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
What do you think the costs to the NHL are when players like Crosby are missing due to perventable injury. I for one don't watch penguins games anymore, I like the flash he brings and it's even worse with Malkin out. Then I started watching the Oilers alot because of how much fun it is to watch Hall. Truely a tallented player. Now he's out. And the list goes on and on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad