Player Discussion Prospects you want on the Oilers next season

Who

• Total voters

North

Jun 25, 2009
I get very frustrated with Benning but your selling short. When he plays well he is invisible. When he plays bad he is very noticeable.

For a depth defender he has great stats and has been a plus player on a bad team 3 yesterday running.

I agree he has stagnated, even regressed, but at 24 and only 3 years in the nhl he still could get better. Where as Russell, who is better imo, absolutely has no where to go... and moving him opens more cap.

Benning is also a RFA. Very solid player on a decent contract that is "controlled" moving forward.

I would potentially move Sekera before Benning at this point. Depending on circumstances.

Sekera is the guy you want to pair the young guys wit’s.

Benning unfortunately is more noticeable than not because of his shortcomings.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I might leave a spot open at 6/7D for Jones, Bear, Lagesson or Persson because there are enough bodies pushing upwards on that job that someone is likely to be up to it AND that might be a way to save a million bucks or so.

I'd have the door open on Cooper Marody and Tyler Benson. Marody in particular seems ready. He's a couple years older and I liked him a lot in spurts. We need to be filling some spots at 800k here if we're going to upgrade and fit under the cap. The 3/4 lines seems like the place for it.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I see one of Jones/Lagesson/Bouchard bullying their way onto to the team, maybe not making the squad on opening night, but by the time the season is over I'm expecting one of of them to have north of 50 NHL games played. On my selections I picked Bouchard he's the one I believe in most, a lot of high end d-man can get by with just 1/3rd of an AHL season under their belt for seasoning.

The other name I'm picking that wasn't on the list is Patrick Russell, this isn't me saying he is our best forward on the farm or that he is the most deserving, I just see him as a guy that coaches tend to like, plus he's old enough that you don't really feel bad having him sit the majority of games in the press box and on top of that his skill set is suited to the 4th line and helping on the PK.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I didn't vote. See who's ready in training camp. Whoever makes it though there shouldn't be hesitation to send them down if they're not making an impact or improving. It's not like any of these guys are overrype.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Hey guys, no love for me?

-R.McLeod
Until you learn which end of your stick is the one you score with, I’ve got you penciled in as the 4th line C in 2022 If you play your cards right, you can have a long and successful career even if its as a checker. If you dont work on your scoring, willingness to go to blue paint, and strength, thats as high as you project.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Hey guys, no love for me?

-R.McLeod

You think he has a shot to make the bigs next year right out of Jr? Would be nice but I think given the new direction to let prospects over ripen he will get at least a year maybe two in Bako.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Currie is the only one I 100% want on the team.

Everyone else would depend on blowing the doors off camp.

Agreed. Currie can be a cheap 13/14th forward even if he doesn’t make the lineup

IIRC there was a Finnish report of JP playing a year in Finland next year with his old club?

Just that they’d want him back. Not that he wants to.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
You think he has a shot to make the bigs next year right out of Jr? Would be nice but I think given the new direction to let prospects over ripen he will get at least a year maybe two in Bako.
Cant tell but someone who played all three Rookie games, 4 preseason games and was the last one cut last October deserves to be on this list.
Who is his competition as 3C? Currie? Marody? Brodziak?
He outlasted Marody last preseason and could do the same again.
The guy is on a stacked team and may not be getting prime offensive minutes.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Cant tell but someone who played all three Rookie games, 4 preseason games and was the last one cut last October deserves to be on this list.

True all that, but I think he will need a year in Bako to up his pro game. 3rd line C might be Gagner this year using RNH line primarily for defensive zone starts with Khaira or Cave as 4th line C. Brodziak I think will be farmed out at worst or 13/14 F at best.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He's a prime candidate for a year in Bako. He didn't kill it in the ohl this season but has pro tools. Get him some offensive confidence at the AHL level so that he doesn't feel like he had to only be a defensive and pk forward.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I don't think Pulju is really a prospect anymore, still have time for him even with his struggles, but he's on the team 100%. I think Benson is up next year due to the lack of capable wingers, but he should be down for 1 more year. Marody, Currie, and Gambardella are more or less all competing for the same spot IMO. At least 1 of them will be on the team, more if we ship out some guys. The interesting guys are the log jam of D. Bouchard has a good shot out of camp, and if he works on his first 2-3 steps (like he should have last year) he is on the team for sure. No one in the organization, outside of McDrai, can make stretch passes and create quality chances like Bouch. Hell he would have been on the team this year if it wasn't for the expansion draft and his first couple of steps. Jones is almost a lock in my eyes. Fantastic prospect that has progressed year after year, made an immediate impact when called up this past year and put in a top 4 spot. He got exposed as most rookies do but his progress over those games was very good. Bear has already been passed by Bouch and Jones, and likely Samorukov and Persson. I see Bear as a trade chip this summer, still a good prospect but the depth has put him too far down the pecking order given how young our D core in the pros is. Lagesson has been great this year and think he makes the jump the year after as #7 guy.

Oh yeah.... Yammo... Let's hope he turns it up over the summer. This year was pretty disappointing by him.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We should have at least two Dmen as rime candidates to make the jump, even if there is a bumpy ride being rookies or near rookies. When you are trading for guys like manning and petrovic becasue you are so bad 5,6 dman you have an issue.

If these guyssare as good as we keep saying at least one or two of the group should make a very strong push.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I want them developed properly, soo many 3rd and 4th liners playing now....if scouts are good , most of the ahl group stays in the ahl. Although 2-3 can make the cut with the depth provided at the moment

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
We should have at least two Dmen as rime candidates to make the jump, even if there is a bumpy ride being rookies or near rookies. When you are trading for guys like manning and petrovic becasue you are so bad 5,6 dman you have an issue.

If these guyssare as good as we keep saying at least one or two of the group should make a very strong push.

That was Chia trading for manning and petrovic...

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't understand why Ethan Bear wasn't playing this season. He looked amazing on the power-play late in 2017-18, and last year the Oilers (as usual) had nobody good on the point... yet, they wouldn't give Bear a chance. Can't understand it.

So, I'd like to see him given a fair chance.

Bouchard should probably become a regular this year, assuming his physicality and mentality are developing well.

And I think Puljujarvi should be given one more chance to be a top-six, now that there'll be (yet) another coach. Even if he's not a top-six, he could potentially be useful on the power play because of his big body (like Maroon used to be, before Chia let him go for nothing). In my opinion, if Puljujarvi would just go to the net every time he has the puck, he'd be way, way more effective. Let's hope the new coach tells him so.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I don't understand why Ethan Bear wasn't playing this season. He looked amazing on the power-play late in 2017-18, and last year the Oilers (as usual) had nobody good on the point... yet, they wouldn't give Bear a chance. Can't understand it.

So, I'd like to see him given a fair chance.

Bouchard should probably become a regular this year, assuming his physicality and mentality are developing well.

And I think Puljujarvi should be given one more chance to be a top-six, now that there'll be (yet) another coach. Even if he's not a top-six, he could potentially be useful on the power play because of his big body (like Maroon used to be, before Chia let him go for nothing). In my opinion, if Puljujarvi would just go to the net every time he has the puck, he'd be way, way more effective. Let's hope the new coach tells him so.

We just need Pulj to figure it out and hit 50 points next year in a breakout season.. Benson comes up and by the end of the year is holding a spot in the top 6 producing at a 50 point pace and Bouchard comes in and does his thing figuring it out and scoring 50 points from the back end.

This is all do-able.

We should grab at least one player for the top 6 so that we can roll

DRAI - MCD - ???
(player we grab) - RNH - ???

then hopefully Pulj and Benson can fill those winger spots effectively.

If it were me I would grab 2 players for the top 6 by any means necessary befre the start of the year including trading the 8th pick if we have to.. although I am kinda of getting attached to just drafting there.. if we added 2 more top 6 players then we would only need 1 of Benson or Pulj to work out in the top 6. I would prefer to execute this trade without losing Pulj. 1st can go, Yama can go.. maybe a D prospect.. basically anyone can go besides Pulj and Bouchard. And Benson because I have him pencilled in.

DRAI - MCD - ???? (Benson, Pulj)
(Trade) - RNH - (Trade)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->