Prospects with Expiring Rights

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Does your team have any 2018 (or previously drafted/2019 D+2) prospects with expiring rights on June 1st or August 15th that you still expect to be signed or are confirmed not to sign?
-
I know Chicago isn't signing Shea or From, and Carolina isn't signing Martin for instance.

NJ and MTL have some interesting decisions (Hoelscher for NJ; Hillis/McShane/Fonstad/Houde for MTL)

I doubt the Leafs sign Stotts or Bouthillier to an ELC, but I would offer both an AHL contract.

Any thoughts or insights? Comment below.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Rangers have Nico Gross & Tyler Wall coming up.

The left side in the system is in flux(Crawley won’t be re-signed, Rykov will have to really step up or go back to KHL, Hajek is either starting in New York or 1st callup, Day is on the island of misfit toys) so I guess they sign him(or hope he goes back to Switzerland to retain his rights a little longer.)

I know they want to get Wall in, but everything is up in the air right now.

Reactions: Duke16
Aug 25, 2009
éal

The left side in the system is in flux(Crawley won’t be re-signed, Rykov will have to really step up or go back to KHL, Hajek is either starting in New York or 1st callup, Day is on the island of misfit toys) so I guess they sign him(or hope he goes back to Switzerland to retain his rights a little longer.)

I thought Rykov was playing well this year

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The Islanders need to sign Blade Jenkins.

In addition, Nick Pastujov can walk on August 15th and there doesn't seem to be any intention of giving him a contract.

I'm not clear on the exact regulations, but the Islanders took not one but two double overagers in last summer's draft (Coskey and Bibeau). Do they not need to be signed this summer or become free agents?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam Steel

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Caps' rights to Eric Florchuk (7th round, 2018) and Alex Kannok-Leipert (6th round, 2018) are expiring June 1.

I don't know enough about either player to adequately guess whether or not the team will (try to) sign them.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Curtis Douglas, Dallas (106th, 2018)

Connor Corcoran, Vegas (154th, 2018)

I’d be surprised if Corcoran goes unsigned, he is one of the younger players of the 2018 draft and just had a really solid year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought Rykov was playing well this year

He is, but we have a logjam at LHD. Our left side sucks, but we still have players who you can’t just send down. Unfortunately for him and the team, as well, the organization is still pretending Hajek is good because of the failed trade of McDonagh that had him as the top asset coming back, so he’s going to get first chance before Rykov from the AHL. It doesn’t matter that Rykov was better than him in the AHL. The team still talks up Hajek.

He may be better suited in another organization.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I’d be surprised if Wall didn’t sign eventually. What reason wouldn’t he? Rangers haven’t yet lost one of these college draft picks that we wanted to keep.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Colorado's Cam Morrison (#40 overall in 2016) declined an ELC last year to play his last year in college, and will likely be a college free agent this summer.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
And just like that, Wall is signed (as expected)

Next up is Morgan Barron. He has one year left, so it's a long way off, if he chooses not to sign with the Rangers. But he hasn't yet signed, and it doesn't seem clear that he's going to sign for next season. He might return for next season where he'd probably be the Hobey Baker Favorite.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Next up is Morgan Barron. He has one year left, so it's a long way off, if he chooses not to sign with the Rangers. But he hasn't yet signed, and it doesn't seem clear that he's going to sign for next season. He might return for next season where he'd probably be the Hobey Baker Favorite.

Surprising. Thought he'd sign for sure.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Surprising. Thought he'd sign for sure.

Those Ivy League players sometimes want to stay four years. I'm hoping he signs because I think he's not that far off being NHL ready, but I can't fault the kid if he wants to finish up his education at Cornell.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
For the Blackhawks rights that expire

Rw Mathias From 6'1 195 R 5rd 143p
D Ryan Shea 6'1 195 L 4rd 121p
G Wouter Peters 6'4 205 R 3rd 83p
G Alex Gravel 6'3 220 R 6rd 162p

tcat84

Sep 15, 2014
Declan Chisholm should be signed in WPG

What are they waiting for? I wonder if they're going to push the "rights expiry" date until after the season is over or cancelled. I can't imagine there's a lot of contract details to iron out.

Reactions: Dan10900

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Does your team have any 2018 (or previously drafted/2019 D+2) prospects with expiring rights on June 1st or August 15th that you still expect to be signed or are confirmed not to sign?
-
I know Chicago isn't signing Shea or From, and Carolina isn't signing Martin for instance.

NJ and MTL have some interesting decisions (Hoelscher for NJ; Hillis/McShane/Fonstad/Houde for MTL)

I doubt the Leafs sign Stotts or Bouthillier to an ELC, but I would offer both an AHL contract.

Any thoughts or insights? Comment below.

MTL will only sign one of McShane, Fonstad, Houde and Hillis, due to contract limit.

I say Hillis signs.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Colorado's Cam Morrison (#40 overall in 2016) declined an ELC last year to play his last year in college, and will likely be a college free agent this summer.

Any news on Morrison? Seems like his numbers would justify an ELC but is he (or his agent) more interested in pursuing a free agent deal with the depth in the Avalanche organization?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Any news on Morrison? Seems like his numbers would justify an ELC but is he (or his agent) more interested in pursuing a free agent deal with the depth in the Avalanche organization?
I don't think there has been any news either way. It could simply be that he wanted to finish college before going pro, and that he'll still want to sign with Colorado this offseason. Hard to tell either way.

It's possible that he looks at our depth chart and thinks that it's a bit too much competition and heads elsewhere, but on the other hand we will likely have plenty of turnover on the 4th line in the next 12-18 months and he might relish the opportunity of potentially playing on a contender.

This offseason we'll see Nieto and Wilson leave in UFA. Kamenev and Jost will likely be traded for futures or packaged for a top 6 forward. That would make our 20/21 lineup as follows:

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Burakovsky ----- Kadri --------- Namestnikov (UFA)/top 6 fwd
Nichuskin ----- Compher ------ Donskoi
Calvert -------- Bellemare ------ Kaut
(O'Connor/Bowers/AHL fodder)

In 2021/22 Calvert and Bellemare will both be UFA's, and one of Donskoi/Compher will likely get selected by Seattle. Newhook and Bowers should take Compher (ED) and Bellemare's spots, but that would still leave two spots as 12th or 13th forward to fight over between the likes of Morrison, O'Connor, Kovalenko, Mutala, Ranta, and Beaucage.

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Burakovsky ----- Kadri --------- Namestnikov (UFA)/top 6 fwd.
Nichuskin ----- Newhook ------ Donskoi
xxxxxxx --------- Bowers ------- Kaut
(O'Connor/Morrison/Kovalenko/etc)

Considering that Morrison (drafted 2016) is older and thus likely stronger than Kovalenko (2018), Ranta (2018), Mutala (2019), and Beaucage (2019) he might fancy his chances against them. Kovalenko also lacks experience of north american rinks. Morrison's game is also quite "heavy" and responsible which probably makes him better suited to a bottom 6 role right now than a couple of those other guys who are more offensive guys who have defensive shortcomings (eg. Ranta) and/or other things still to develop (eg. Beaucage's poor skating).

We've been the beneficiaries of some "free" talent in the recent past (eg. college free agent Kerfoot who snubbed NJ, or Nichuskin), so we can't be too upset if he does decide not to sign with us, but if we can sign him then that would be awesome as it would give us another good chance of filling a bottom 6 role on an ELC virtually for free at this stage.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Patrick Shea, U of Maine (Florida)

Average numbers on a middle-of-the-road NCAA team. Any reason to think he might be signed to anything other than an AHL contract?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Arizona will not be signing Dennis Busby, Dean Stewart, or Patrick Kudla.

No big surprises there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad