Prospects who were rushed, brought in too late ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphy*

south end super star said:
I think Spezza was held back partly becasue his ego clashed with Martin's, partly becasue Ottawa was a team trying to win a Stanely cup, also the organization was fearful of "Diagleitis", where in you rush an unproven prospect and give him way too much cash,and mainly becasue Martin was too stubborn to see what spezza could have done on that team.. Instead of allowing spezza to play between two responsible wingers, Martin went instead with Radek "tin man " Bonk and his pet boy Todd White at centre and spezza went back to junoir, had an uninspired season got traded (requested) to Windsor, where he was outplayed in the playofffs by Stephen Weiss.
Next year with Martin at teh helm again Spezza started in Bingo while Van Allen took up space in Ottawa..uuhhggg

Spezza didnt play because he simply wasnt putting out what Ottawa needed. He was playing like ****. No defense and not all that much energy. Vermette on the other hand made it impossible for the coaching staff to take him out of the lineup. He's all heart and works his *** off.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Murphy said:
Spezza didnt play because he simply wasnt putting out what Ottawa needed. He was playing like ****. No defense and not all that much energy. Vermette on the other hand made it impossible for the coaching staff to take him out of the lineup. He's all heart and works his *** off.
Oh I agree as well. I've said that in this thread. I'm just saying that the Sens were also doing what they could to prevent Spezza from turning out like Daigle did - off the ice.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
19bruins19 said:
You asked for goalies who were 18 or 19 that were succesful for the NHL.
No I didn't.

Large_Farva: "No 18 year old goalie should be in the NHL."

Evilo: "Tom Barrasso"

HF2002: "Name another"

19bruins19: "He wasn't 18 or 19, but Roy won a Stanley cup at 20 years old."

HF2002: "So what you're saying is that Roy wasn't 18?"

19bruins19: You asked for goalies who were 18 or 19 that were succesful for the NHL. I said Roy wasn't successful in the NHL at those ages(He only played 1 game), but he did when the Cup at age 20.

KH1

Rushed:

Tim Connolly: Has always been a decent player when healthy, but given time to hone his game and he could've been the future hall of famer the Islanders (and Sabres I guess) envisioned.

Rick DiPietro: Was called up as a 19 year old and went 3-15 with a morbid Isles club. If he didn't have such a huge ego his confidence could've been seriously fractured. Thankfully he was sent back down to Bridgeport and last year became the starter for real.

Todd Bertuzzi: Had an excellent rookie campaign at the age of 20 for the Islanders and then thought he had everything figured out. Became somewhat of a floater for a long while beforoe hitting his stride again in Vancouver in 1999. If he had been kept in the Isles system he would be on our top line today (and coincidentally never would've played a game against Steve Moore.)

Duster

Feb 20, 2004
Agreed about Di Pietro, Connolly, Pyatt, Bertuzzi. Mad Mike rushes his young players. I think Pittsburgh did the same thing with Fleury. The same could be also said about Ribeiro. He was brought up way too young by Houle and looked utterly lost. Going back to Junior and playing a couple of years in the AHL was a wise move in his case.

Daigle wasn't rushed from a playing point of view. He could clearly play at an NHL level in his first season. The problem with him was emotional maturity. There wasn't a single camera or interview he didn't like, and cashing in those huge paycheques went to this head. You can see he has matured playing for Lemaire in Minnesota.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
someone said kronwall was too long? how?
he hasent been here for 2 years.. he started last year in the AHL, thinking hed emerge a little and play pretty decent, well he actually played amazing and the wings thought he was good enough with all these injuries to call him up. He had 5 pts in 15 gms then got a flukke broken leg, (in LA so there stadium is a curse to everyone)... he rejoined the team later played i believe a few gms then it was it. Last year he was AHL dman of the year. He wasnt rushed, he was brought along perfectly

DBrown23*

zetterberg40 said:
then got a flukke broken leg, (in LA so there stadium is a curse to everyone
least someone else felt its wraith

PACaptain

Jul 4, 2005
Road to the Repeat
Evilo said:
For the Penguins :
- No to Fleury. He was too good in camp to send him to juniors. Would have been a bad message
- Dome : rushed
- Kraft : too late (he was the best player in camp at 19 at was sent back to juniors ; he didn't try as hard in his second camp)
- Morozov : shoud have been played in the AHL or on the top two lines. No point in putting him on the third line like the Pens have done for years until they had no depth.
- Caron : was a good NHLer before being a decent AHLer.

On the positives, Orpik was just right. Malone seemed to do well without AHL time. Koltsov had nothing more to learn in the AHL.

Sticking with the Pens since I know them best. Agreed with many of your assessments. I think Dome could have been a player if they developed him right because he did show some brief flashes. Kraft was brought in too late because I think he got used to playing against competition that was inferior where he just got by on skill alone. His AHL numbers were always very good but he had trouble in the NHL until this past season (good time to cut him loose, right?). I think to a degree Beech was rushed in, but he could still develop.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
DBrown23 said:
least someone else felt its wraith

yea it sucked. He was on pace for about 10 pts in 30 gms if he would have stayed, not bad if you ask me for a kid getting his feet wet playing on the 3rd line, 2nd pp unit. Yea i definitly didnt like it, felt bad for u guys

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Christian Dube is a great one for being brought along too late. Malhotra and Fata too early

A lot of the guys being mentioned in this thread are still to early to call I think.

Here are a couple I think could work.

Lee Goren, Daniel Tkachuk, Jesse Wallin too late?

David Tanabe, Mathieu Biron, Robert Dome too early?

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I think Justin Williams for the Flyers was rushed, although it didn't hurt him too much. I think he would have fared better had he spent more time in junior.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Brock said:
Christian Dube is a great one for being brought along too late. Malhotra and Fata too early

A lot of the guys being mentioned in this thread are still to early to call I think.

wallin had all the time in the world, we could have used him early but he wasnt ready. He had a few injuries, his mind was all messed up due to i heard family issues, so the kid just after was drafted ran into too many problems hockey and not hockey related i believe which led to his career slipping away.

PACaptain

Jul 4, 2005
Road to the Repeat
Pantokrator said:
I think Justin Williams for the Flyers was rushed, although it didn't hurt him too much. I think he would have fared better had he spent more time in junior.

I think he would have faired better if he stayed with the Flyers instead of going to Carolina. Maybe he gets to play with some talent this year, but he would have had a better chance to get noticed and put up numbers with the Flyers.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Brock said:

no, no, no, Wallin just sucked. ;)

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Whoa guys..

Vermette couldn't play during his draft year because of a misdiagnoised neck problem. Both Spezza and Vermette began the next season in Bingo after their draft year
Fact is Vermette misssed the entire year after he was drafted so there is no way Ottawa kept him
Now Spezza was drafted from the ice dogs then sent back to junior then traded to Windsor part way through that year, where, in the playoffs he was out performed by Stephen Weiss of the Plymouth whalers
Now as for ottawa's reasoning that was other than what I termed Daigleitis ya there were other factors. One i must admitt is they didn't really need him at that point. But the point of the thread was who was held back and i think for better or worse it may have hampered his development...
However reading what i've read here and other places it would seem that Spezza is now coming to the NHL as a more Complete player..
Another rushed prospect is Drake Berehousky.. Toronto ruined him by bringing him in as aa eighteen year old.. i know he did have a good nhl career but i thought he coulda been waaay better

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Claypool said:
I think Grigorenko will be one considered too late. The guy was ready 3 or 4 years ago. (I know he was in a car accident)

Apparently he was just returning to form by the end of last yr. You cant consider him too late. Det is being smart, they know this yr is very crucial to Grigs. So far
he has put up some points in pre-season. Still doesnt have the speed he once had
but hopefully he can recover enough to still be part of the wings future. Shows alot of character and heart to come back this far. I am not a wings fan, but as a hockey fan i am rooting for him.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Who got rushed? Some others that no one has mentioned thus far:

KLESLA (#4, 2000) - played 8 games in 2000 but got sent back down to the OHL. Came back up for 2001/02 and after going 8-8-16 he regressed badly in 02/03. Never has hit the potential everyone swore he had, might never hit it.

MEZEI (#10, 1999) - after another year in the OHL, he played 20 games at Bridgeport before logging 42 with the Islanders in 2000/01. In the next 3 years he played 80 largely unspectacular games in the NHL and still looks like he needed at least another year in the AHL to get adjusted.

SHVIDKI (#12, 1999) - same story as Mezei, in the OHL in 99/00 and played 34 games at Louisville (AHL) and 43 games with the Panthers in 00/01. He was hurt for most of 01/02 but since then looks nothing like the guy the Panthers drafted in 1999.

MATHIEU BIRON (#11, 1998) - originally drafted by LA, he played in the Q in 98/99 and was traded to the Islanders, where he showed up on the '99 opening night roster without playing a game in the AHL. After 14 miserable games in 00/01, he finally got sent to the AHL...and then was traded to Tampa Bay. Played 36 games in 01/02 with Tampa and looked lost, then got traded to Florida. Had probably his best season in the league in 03/04, and for that he was bought out by the Panthers in August. Had he been brought along properly, I still think he'd have been a great #3 defenseman in the league - instead, he got shipped around four times in five years (never a good thing to do to a young player) and never got a chance to develop.

Mika Noronen is trending hard in the "too too long" direction with Biron and Miller also fighting for the #1 spot in Buffalo. Noronen should have either been put in as 1A or traded to someone who wanted a good young goalie to bring along.

KH1

A lot of these names are Islanders prospects from the '90s, and there's a good reason why:

1. The ownership wouldn't give Mike Milbury a budget sufficient to fill his roster with any veterans at all.

2. Without any veterans they kept getting high draft picks and more prospects!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad