Prospects that you were 100% sure were busts that turned out pretty well?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Not "busts" (simply because they were both late rounders) but I didn't think either Dzingel or Wideman would be NHLers. Dzingel is clearly an NHLer and should be for at least several more seasons; Wideman was really starting to impress me at the start of the season before he was injured, so I'm interested to see if he can cement himself as a high-end bottom pairing DMan over an extended period of time.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah it's Brandon Carlo for me thought he would be an absolute dud that wouldn't sniff the NHL, he's already a quality NHL defender.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Darnell Nurse is the big one for me, I didn’t think he had the offensive IQ to be consistent top 6 dman let alone top 4.
Yup, Nurse is another one for me didn't like the way he was tracking up until this year where by all accounts he's been excellent for the Oilers this year.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Thought Coututerier would be nothing more than a decent 2C. Playing well this year!

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Matt Tkachuk has never been the best player on his line. Thought of him as a first round talent with a possible NHL future, but nowhere close to top5 in the draft.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
He's really a nothing player, has 10 points in 42 games despite playing on Vancouver's number 1 power play unit for the past ~5 weeks. He looks like replacement level junk right now.

Well considering I thought he was never going to play a game in the NHL, 200+ games already is pretty good.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Maybe too early to say how DeBrincat will turn out, but so far he is doing far better than I thought.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Carlo is a good one.

Didn't expect Monahan or Gaudreau's offense to translate so quickly. I knew they were talented but I expected them to have to toil in the league for years before breaking out.

Even as a Canuck fan, I was very cautious about Brock Boeser. Average skating in the NCAA, seemed overly reliant on his shot, didn't separate from defenders very well, wasn't amazing on the boards, decent playmaker but rarely looked like the driver of offense on his line..

Almost all those things are still true, yet he's dominating. Still can't quite figure it out, but I'm very happy to be wrong.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I was certain that Mitch Marner was going to have a short, mediocre NHL career because his game wouldn't translate against bigger, faster players than his OHL competition and would be far-and-away the worst of the Strome/Hanifin/Marner tier of that draft.

I got that one wrong.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Jankowski, ... Faksa

Jankowski was a common member of the 'he's a bust club' from the moment he was drafted. Watching him now, the patience was worth it.

Faksa should be mentioned multiple times in this thread really - not very many people thought he would become an NHL'er in his draft +1 and +2 years - yet he's an impact 3rd liner in Dallas and I still think there is a little more upside to come offensively.

Reactions: travis scott

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Jankowski was a common member of the 'he's a bust club' from the moment he was drafted. Watching him now, the patience was worth it.

Faksa should be mentioned multiple times in this thread really - not very many people thought he would become an NHL'er in his draft +1 and +2 years - yet he's an impact 3rd liner in Dallas and I still think there is a little more upside to come offensively.
It may be just me but I haven’t been a fan of Jankowski since he was drafted and 13 points in 34 games as a 23 year old doesn’t exactly scream waiting so long was worth it. I’ve watched him probably like 6-8 ish times this year and I don’t see what’s so special about him nor have I ever. I see a future 3C when I think of him and I also thought that before the season. Maybe I didn’t catch him on good nights? Idk

Nurse was a good one mentioned, I was never exactly a fan of him either but he really proved me wrong this year so far

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Pastrnak. He was a swift and brutal lesson for me. The lesson being ''maybe check to see if a player set a record in his draft year or not before calling them David Bustrnak. Maybe.''

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Andreas Athanasiou. Mid rounder. Was small on draft day. Bounced around the O. Thought he was a wasted pick. Has played over 100 games now. has speed and is a bit of a scoring threat. HM to Marty Frk. Thought he was doomed playing poorly in the ECHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->